1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

my three grandchildren are boys!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    my wife and i have three grandchildren, all boys. ages 4, 3, and 1. can't wait until they are old enough to shoot. a gun club owner told me that it is not the age of when a child should start to shoot trap, but how big he is. years ago you could just take your kids, grandchildren, to the area gun club to shoot. now i have hear some clubs insist that the child attend hunter safety courses. i live in wisconsin, does anyone know is there laws that prohibit a grandparent or father to just have the child shoot when they feel they are ready, or is there now laws pertaining to this?
    steve balistreri

2. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

DNR say's a person must be 12 or older to shoot a gun and must have adult supervision. Up North I don't think anyone would enforce it, South could be a whole different story. My local club likes to have the kids attend a hunters safety course but if one shows up and knows all the rules nobody is going to object

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have three sons who are now 41,43,45. the oldest started shooting at age 5, the other two at about 7 and 8. I dont think it has anything to do with age or size but more to do with the size of the gun and the loads and taking them with you every time yoy can. I had a savage 410 single shot that I weaned them on. Two are still actively shooting today. They are into bird hunting more than trap but as long as they are shooting I am ok with it.

4. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

We have sub-juniors here on the left coast, shooting,,one 11 yr. with a AA-25-?
    avg.,,he is shooting an XT combo 12 gauge.

5. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i dont think it matters ive seen kids as young as 8 shooting at portage wi i feel the earlier you teach the safer they will be

6. senior smoke

i had planned to give all 3 boys a rem 870 tb, thats what i shoot. i saw a young 12 yr old shoot a bt99 with a cut down 26 inch barrel with choke tubes. this kid hit the birds with authority. a break open is probably easier to load and unload. i gave my son in law, their father, a rem 870 tb with an adjustable stock. he agrees that the bt99 would probably be easier for them to learn to shoot someday. my 2 children never shot. the schools they attended years ago, made sure that the kids were bombarded with "guns are only used for bad things". so we are looking forward to the day we can take them to shoot. things are so bad about guns around here, that a few years ago a kid drew a gun in art class, and he was suspended. some people won't believe this but years ago, people i know, brought their shotguns to school and placed them in their locker so they could go hunting when school let out. the world has sure changed, seems not for the better.
    steve

7. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I hope if they were girls you would take them shooting too. I used to love to go with my dad. Kim

8. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Senior, I have a great starter gun for sale. My two sons learned on it. Winchester 1300 Youth, 20 ga. For you, Senior, I make a good deal. It is on the board at the club. BTW, I am expecting my first grandchild, a girl.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Steve,

When I was at the club in Lake Geneva, WI, I would alaways have kids around 7-8 out on the skeet field shooting low 7 and high 7. The law with regards to age is, 12 for hunting (which may have changed) but no limit on recreation shooting.

Doug Braker

10. senior smoke

Kolar12- congratulations!!!
    Doug Braker- thanks for the info.
    steve

11. senior smoke

a few years ago there was a big to do about allowing some young kid shooting trap with his parent because of his age, and he also did not take a hunters safety course. can't really remember exactly what happend but it was here in wisconsin.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.