1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on my first 2 weeks of college

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have a little bit more than 2 weeks in since going back to college. It has been harder than I thought. Technology is my biggest challenge, as everything is now computerized. If you have a question for your professor, you usually email him or her, rather than talk to them directly.

Course wise, I feel I am smarter and more disciplined as a student, than I was 40 years ago. I have attempted to blend in, rather than act like I have all the answers. It feels strange that I am older than the person giving the class.

I sit back and smile as I hear my young fellow students talk among themselves as they think they have all the answers to the world's problems. I envy most of them as I also wish that I was once again in my twentys. I see myself in them at their age.

I wonder if they increased the length of the halls and buildings as I am usually out of breath walking to each class and building. It could be my age, as well as that I'm 100lbs heavier than the last time I attended this university. The majority of these kids are good kids with lots of ambition.

We usually only hear the negative about our nations young, but so far the majority have been respectful to me. I spend a lot of time in the library these days. I will check in aroung once a month as I am so busy going full time to school, as well as attempting to take care of my mother, and spending time with my kids and grandchildren.

I have not shot in awhile, and I am quickly relizing not to take time at the gun club for granted.
    Take care everyone,
    Steve Balistreri

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you Steve, good luck.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Watch out for 'freshman fifteen'.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Tell me you are not wearing sunglasses and checking out the co-eds, that's what's making you out of breath. Behave yourself and remember your age - the hell with it go for it.

Don

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Steve, you might check out some night time classes. The average age seems a little older, and the students are nearly all there because they really want to be, not because mom n dad are footin the bill. Makes it a lot easier to learn. I went back after I had 4 kids, and worked 40 to 48 hrs a week while I was going to school. You can do it, make the most of every minute of it

Bob

6. Chessie33

Chessie33 TS Member

Steve, good luck! I returned to school in my late 30's and had a great time. I would like to share with you that in my Calculus III class was a 75 year old woman whom I got to know because of our shared extra time spent in the math lab. I asked her one time why someone of her age would go through such a tough subject. She smiled, and said because her Grandchild asked her for help with math! All I could say was good for her. She ended the class with an "A".

Hang in there, the biggest thing to learn from school is how to work in teams no matter the age or differences. John

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Steve, you are to commended...don't think I'd have the fortitude.
    Good luck!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you going to pledge a fraternity?

-Gary

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was 47 when I went back to prepair for a different career field. Most of the young students were ok. As the semesters progressed, many of the kids lost focus. Of course they were learning how to chase skirts, make extra curricular events and some were learning how to drink and get into debt. Since I had none of those distractions, it was easy to stay ahead of the course work, and I even did the optional reading for many classes. I am glad that you decided to pursue your education. Even though I have 2 associates, a BA and an MA, and working on my Phd, I would still like to go back and finish my engineering degree, "just because", even though it no longer relates to my field. You are doing a good thing, hang in there!

10. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Leo, if you write a doctoral dissertation, spell "prepare" properly. :)

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve, sounds like your enjoying the experience thats great. You are certaanily an example for the younger generation. Stay busy and keep tearing throught the classes.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I started school at 5 and finished at 55. Public schools, college, and a teaching career. I'm done with school, never going back, they asked me to sub, I ran.

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

Lit, I just figured that Leo got all those degrees from Grambling.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Or prepear; a little bump on a pear tree, eh? Two bumps would be a prepair, no? <;-)

Congrats to Stefano!

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Stick with day classes. All those young hotties are good for your attention span!!

16. senior smoke

I am at school in the library, and decided to take a break and look at TS.com.
    Gary wrote and asked if "I was going to pledge a fraternity"?

Previously, I told Gary that I am thinking of possibibly joining "Ifeltathigh". Steve

Seriously, I appreciate all of your kind words and encouragement.
    Steve

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Isn't a prepair the two first birds called by the fellow on station 1 after the squad and puller are ready?

Don Verna

18. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

SS,

You should pledge at "Feelabetterthigh" or "Eatapizzapie." Either one will make you feel good.

Eric

19. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I was a member of itappakeg

20. senior smoke

It's around 6am on Sunday morning and I am at my mom's house. Was called at 3am as she said she was not feeling good. She's feeling better now and is sleeping.

I brought my homework with me and have been working on it while I'm here. I decided to take a break to see what is going on on my favorite web site?

I previously mentioned that on my father's death bed he made me promise that I would do two things for him after he was gone. One was to go back to school for my senior year and get my degree, which I am doing, and the other was that I take care of my mother for him after he passed away.

I don't know what promise is tougher, going back to school, or taking care of my mom? School has be tough, not the academic part of it, but finding the time among all of my other responsibilities. I was brought up that when you give your word to someone, that you keep it. I will fulfill both promises, but at my age and physical condition, I'd been lying if I said it was easy.

I have been retired since the first of the year, and I now realize that I had more time when I was working, compared to now. My father only had a 6th grade education due to his father passing away, and he had to support his mother and his 7 younger brothers and sisters.

My father worked two jobs most of his life from the age of 12 on. As I sit back and reflect on my dad's life and the sacrifices that he made, it has become clear to me that what I am attemptiong to do is basically a cake walk.

One of the things I like about TS.com is instead of talking to a shrink and having to pay top dollar for someone to listen to my rantings, I can do the same thing for free here. The check is in the mail.

Time to get back to work.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.