1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Super X1 doubled on me twice yesterday.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by finger, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finger

finger TS Member

In my years of shooting Super X-1's I have never ever had a fan fire. Like was said above remove the bolt, inspect and clean it well. Something is keeping the firing pin forward. The bolt is a simple mechanism so the problem should be easy to spot. My bet is a broken pin or firing pin return spring gone bad.

As for not fully ejecting. What was said above and also are you using ammo that is reliable in that gun? Sometimes a new or strong return spring will allow full ejection of some ammo re 7/8 or 1 oz light loads. Shoot some three dram loads through it for a while and see if that makes er work. If so, then you may need a good thorough cleaning of the back end of your gun, or a replacement spring. bob finger

2. finger

finger TS Member

Bolt removal is super simple. Remove the trigger group, you already know how to do that. Pull bolt back and remove barrel by letting bolt slam back into battery, pulling bolt back then just pull the barrel out. Remove the charging handle from the bolt, it pulls out. Put the receiver in a vice bottom up. You will see the fork coming out of the rear of the bolt and it goes into a circular part at the back side of the receiver. Using a flat blade screwdriver push this round part toward the butt while pulling up on the fork with either a large paper clip or a pair of long nose pliers. It will come up and out easily. Now grab hold of the fork and gently push the bolt a bit forward till it starts to come out of the receiver and gently just work it out at an angle. To reinstall do the reverse. No need to force anything or even exert much pressure. The bolt will just slide out easily. Wiggle it a bit and before you know it the bolt and fork will be in your hand. You drive out one small pin and the bolt comes apart so you can look at the firing pin and spring. That pin is about three quarters of the way back from the bolt face...you can see it if you pull the rear of the bolt backwards. Takes longer to tell how to do it than to actually do it. Just don't force anything. bob finger

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

e-mail me at sx1jeff@yahoo.com and if you are still having trouble I will call you and walk you through the process. Jeff

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that the problem with your SX1 doubling may be due to a faulty disconnector. As I understand it, the disconnector moves a little hook forward as the hammer falls. When the hammer rebounds rearward due to the rearward movement of the bolt, the hook catches the hammer and won't allow it to move forward again until the trigger is released and pulled a second time.

If the disconnector or hook is defective, it might not be grabbing the hammer when the hammer rebounds or resets. So if you didn't get your finger off the trigger fast enough, the gun could double or go "full auto".

BTW, this disconnector is what separates a semi-auto from a full auto. Without a properly functioning disconnector, you essentially have a full auto shotgun...... which is just a tad illegal. :) You might want to get that looked at before you end up in the Iron Bar Hotel.

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I just got my second SX1 a Trap gun to go along with my Sporting/skeet one now thats two and I quit really I quit I'm cured I tell you. Please do not post any good deals I'm in rehab.
    Buddy

6. Easystreet

Now with the new info about the presence of a "trigger stop", I'm putting my money on that as being the problem. Remove it and your problem goes away.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Super-x-Jeff will take care of the problem for you, listen and do what he says.

Dr.longshot

8. Easystreet

Sportshot,

It should be very simple to find out whether the trigger stop is involved with the problem. Just back the stop screw all the way out and shoot the gun some that way. If you have no more doubling, then that was the problem.

One of the downsides of any trigger "improvement" work is that it may cause reliability issues and/or safety issues if it is not in precise adjustment. For example, stoning a sear to reduce the amount of trigger creep may, if taken too far, result in the sear not catching the engagement notch in the hammer at all.

The disconnector, whether it's the "hook" type or the "lever/bar" type, is actuated by the pulling of the trigger. There needs to be a certain amount of "follow through" on the pull or the disconnector may not function as designed.

Also, with a trigger stop, the trigger is held so near the "go/no-go" position that your finger may be bouncing into the trigger on recoil without you even being aware of it.

I tend to think that the problem is NOT with the firing pin return spring. If the spring or the firing pin were broken and this resulted in the firing pin protruding from the bolt face, then you would probably experience some shells being fired when you load the first one into the chamber and the bolt slams shut. Since the problem has only appeared on the SECOND shot, it's not likely, IMO, that it's a firing pin problem.

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Well...if in doubth I vote on calling Super-X Jeff. Bob Fingers is also someone I know who is very knowledgable on these guns. Finally, if looking for the best SX-1 gunsmith left alive, I would send it to Ernest Marlette, (336) 456-1818, in Winston-Salem, NC.

Now....I'm only up to five of these guns, but I can appreciate the obsession that leads to owning nine of them....I mean, what is an obsession besides something to do with your time LOL.

For the fellow who asked, below are pics of my Pigeon SX-1..more valuable and cherished for its rarity than for the grade of engraving.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.