1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Super X1 busted today.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sharhope, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharhope

sharhope Member

I suspect the linkage between the two halves of the bolt has fractured. Taking down a super x is not that difficult and should confirm the problem.

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I bought a SX1 once that's bolt was in 2 pieces. It shot fine and I never knew it until I took it apart for major cleaning. It was a b#$@& to put back together but it still functioned afterwards. I later heard that some people did this to make it quicker to change the firing pin....Hard to believe that explanation but 2-piece bolts still work in some circumstances.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Check the plastic bumper piece behind the bolt. It may have shattered!!

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a broken locking bolt and possible broken firing pin spring. The locking bolt is the part that connects to front of the bolt assembly, proper name is "breech bolt" and the rear named the "bolt slide". When these three parts are assembled you have a bolt assembly. ( when combined with other pins, springs, and the extractor )

The bad news is that it's almost impossible to find a locking bolt and according to the Super-X takedown and assembly instructions printed by Winchester the locking bolt is "sold only to gunsmiths who have an agreement with us - otherwise for factory installation only"

You need to learn how to disassemble and assemble the bolt assembly yourself. It's easy. I shot one for 20 years.

Good luck in your parts search.

Tom

5. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I am a trained gunsmith that can work on your gun, if you don't have someone local that you trust.
    I happen to have spare parts for many guns, like the SuperX-1, including used bolt parts (less than new prices, also), and some new and used wood, so let me know what you need, if you are sure of the situation.

I will let you know whether I can provide the needed pieces.

I specialize in mechanical rework and improvement and custom barrel and custom choke installations, including in very thin barrels. All chokes are custom made and precisely fitted.

Hope for a rapid solution to your problem.

Kirby
    The Shotgun Shop
    636-282-4379

6. straffer

straffer TS Member

I never had a problem with my Berreta 390 -Good Luck

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yep...as far as I know, the locking bolt is one of the few parts that are not available as NOS.

SuperXJeff or Texas Ton may have one if you need it. Also, if Kirby can't help you I suggest contacting Ernest Marlette. Great gunsmith and I know he has lots of SX-1 parts...whether that includes a locking bolt, I don't know.

Full Name: Ernest Marlette

Business Address: 1410 Irving Street
    Winston-Salem, NC 27103

Home: (336) 761-0433

Mobile: (336) 456-1818

E-mail: marlettebuilders@hotmail.com

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'll offer to take that junk x1 of his hands right now....

9. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

Before e bay quit taking gun parts I got a clouple of bolts that way. I had a locking bolt that broke so I replaced it and got an extra.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'll offer to take that junk x1 of his hands right now....

11. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

Before e bay quit taking gun parts I got a clouple of bolts that way. I had a locking bolt that broke so I replaced it and got an extra.

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have picked up two hunting guns that looked really beat up on the outside but appeared to have been fired very little when cleaned up. They will probably provide all the spare parts I will ever need except for buffers. I have about $400 in the pair. Ron

13. finger

finger TS Member

gun1357 are you bragging or complaining? bob finger

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

50 dollar part? Sorry sportshop if it was a 50 dollar part people wouldn't buy parts guns. The part that is broken is most easily fixed with a new bolt and they run from 200 to 275 depending on condition. Stating that it is a 50 dolllar part shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. Jeff

15. Sportshot: Are you using unresized reloads ? Might be that the bolt is not going into battery...check with factory loads ........Jaqua's has several nice SX-1's for $595.00 ...ask for Nick ....good luck..

16. finger

finger TS Member

SX-1's like all gas guns are very unhappy when alone. You should always have two. One for shooting and one to keep the shooting gun happy when being stored. That way if you need a part you just "borrow" it until you get a replacement. If you own two SX-1's (or more fer sure) you will never ever need anything for your shooter except a bolt buffer every 20,000 rounds and a new rubber 0 ring every season or two. If you doubt me give it a try and see how it works for you. bob finger

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Sorry Sportshot but I don't think you are worthy of a Winchester SX-1 with a dumb answer like that. Sell it to someone who will appreciate was it is.

Tom

18. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Sort of surprised by finger's remarks. Thanks Jeff. Actually, I have six SX-1 shotguns, five in good shooting condition, one somewhat parted-out. Ron

19. finger

finger TS Member

Gun1357 what did I say that surprised you? Hope I did not offend you. Having pairs of gas guns has been the norm for many years. It is cheap insurance and I do believe they behave better when they have a sibling to keep them company in the safe or on the rack.

Regarding the bolt. Complete bolt assemblies are available, but not for $50. If I can get one for $150 I'd be very happy. Same thing with the gun itself. I'll buy any SX-1 I see for $400. Been a while since I found one at that price in a gun shop or pawn shop. Most competition barrels sell for about $200 these days, trigger groups for $125 on up, wood easily goes for $100 and the entire bolt for lets say $150. So any gun you find is worth at least that much, with some parts left over.

We still don't know for sure if Sportshot has a busted bolt or something else. It takes all of 2 minutes to get the bolt out of the gun and another minute to dis-assemble the bolt and to view each individual part. From the description given it could be anything from a piece of target in the bolt to a loose pin to something broken. Until that bolt is apart and looked at he won't have a clue. Then of course he will need to report back here so we can all analyze it for him.

I've shot SX-1's for many years and worked on lots more of them. I have never personally seen a broken part in a bolt beyond the firing pin or a loose pin that holds it all together. Not saying it won't, has not or cannot happen just that I have yet to see one. I have seen target chips cause the problem first mentioned. bob finger

20. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

For Bob Finger. I guess I must have had a long day when I commented on your "bragging or complaining" remark. I was taken aback because you are always so positive in your remarks. As others have added, parts guns make good sense if you want to keep shooting these guns. I bought one gun at a gun show for $200. It was a field gun that had been teflon coated so it wouldn't have to be cleaned. I don't think it ever had been! It turned out to be a great hunting/foul weather skeet gun. The other one showed up in the newspaper. I think the guy had bought it 30 years ago and was hoping to get his $175 back. I have used the trigger group, bolt assembly and gas piston. I'm probably just stuck with the like-new full choke ribbed barrel it had on it. LOL Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.