1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Suburban hit a milestone today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pocatello, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

June 30, 1994 I bought a 1994 Chevrolet Suburban. It had 3316 miles on it, and I have reason to believe it had been a fleet car for Avis. It had the Silverado package, 4x4 with the 350 cid V8, power seats, windows, door locks, mirrors. Today on my way out to train dogs it turned 300,000 miles. In that time it has never had a major issue. The engine still does not use oil and has had only minor tuneups. The transmission has only had periodic service. I've gotten 60-75 K on a set of tires, done the brakes a few times, replaced the alternator twice, the fuel pump once, and the muffler once. It still runs strong, gets about 16 mpg at 80 mph, and is reliable. In this case, Chevrolet did something right.

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I love to hear great story with your own car. One of my friend just hit 250,000 with his first generation Lexus LS (something), The car look like a piece of junk, no A/C, one two winder works, but it still runs.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ah, a Pre-bailout GM. Back when I was still GM for life.

The small block Chevy 350. Best engine ever made in my eyes. Sure there are engines with more cubic inches, more HP, more torque but there is a reason damn never every hot rod build had a small block Chevy heart.

4. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Good vintage for Chevrolet. Keep an eye on gaskets. The newer 5.3s are good ones as well

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was visiting my son last weekend and asked about his work truck. It's a 99 F150 V6 4x4 and he has pulled a 16 foot work trailer usually at 70 MPH to Panama City and back to Chipley five days a week for the past 6 years. It has 241,000 and he has to add a quart of oil in between changes. It's amazing to me how long the engines of today will last. Jackie B.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I had two 1997 Mercury Cougars with the 3.8 liter V-6. One 3.8 needed a an oil pump at 75,000 miles and had several $1000 plus repairs. The other 3.8 made it to 110,000 but needed head gaskets, oil pump and other and items. Gave them both to Goodwill.

Now have a Toyota Tundra V-8 with 155,000 trouble free miles and the wife and daughter drive a Toyota RAV/4 V-6 and a Toyota Camry I-4. Absolutely no problems.

I had a 1983 Ford Club Wagon 300 I-6 that went over 330,000 miles but the two Cougar V-6's soured me on Ford products.

Ed Ward

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have always driven high milers, the 350 was a great engine, and so was the 4.3 V6, I have heard it is basically a 350 missing two pistons, but in 88 I got an Astro, van for a company truck, and at the time I was driving 115 miles one way to work, the owner of the company told me he wasn't going to buy me a new truck when I was due for one because I was just wearing them out in the commute, so I drove that Astro for a long time, when it finally did get retired it had 415,000 miles on it, the only thing that was changed on it was the rear end, and the only reason that was changed is they had one that was totaled when it was new and the fiberglass springs we coming apart on the old one

They will take some abuse, the oil got changed maybe ever 25,000 miles and the throttle had two positions, idle and wide open

My wife and I both have 7.3 PS F 250's mine has 225,000 on it and hers is under 100,000, neither uses or leaks any oil, my wife keeps them like new inside and out, so we will drive them for many more years I hope. New vehicles never really tripped my trigger, but no payments does LOL

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

zardozforty

Never replaced brakes in 337,000 miles ????????????????????????????

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My neighbor bought a new Chevy Pick up in 2009, took GM 2 years to figure out that it was a total piece of junk, then another year to figure out how they were going to handle it ... Sat in his driveway or on a flat bed tow truck more than on the road back and forth to the dealer ... They offered him a new truck but wanted him to pay the price increases for the 3 years, he said no way ... Finally, they gave him a new truck, he brought it home parked it in the driveway with a "For Sale" sign on it and sold it with less than 100 miles on it ... He bought a new 2010 Tundra while dealing with GM on that truck, never looked back and swears he will never buy another American made car or truck if he lives to be 110 years old ... GM gave him a voucher for $5,000 off on any new GM vehicle to settle the claim and he said he will never use it, sold that to another guy for $1,000 and figures he is ahead of the game ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Some people would get a lemon from the Acme Anvil Company. I hate to think of life without GM transportation. Ron

11. oz

oz Active Member

about 10 years ago there was an ad on TV showing a Mercedes benz 240D (as I remember) with 1 Million miles on it.

12. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I am selling my 99 Tahoe with 143K and upgrading :) to a 2003 Silverado with 68K the kids are off to Collage( along with my money) and the Pickup makes sense for me now. I did put some money into the Tahoe but the motor still pulls hard and drips or biurns no oil.

Jim

13. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

My 1999 Tahoes' "service engine lite" stays on, and my mechanic informed me that due to where this sensor is ,coated, near tailpipe exhaust, the sensor will always come on. Have 94,000 miles on this set of Michelin LTX tires. Due for replacement.

14. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Wife's 1999 Honda CRV just rolled past 366,000 miles. Other than scheduled maintenance, and a couple of catalytic converters, it has been trouble free.

15. alf174

alf174 Member

Got a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero with 210,000, no issues other than it recently lost its A/C pump.

16. 11-87 shooter

11-87 shooter TS Member

WPT isn't the Tundra made in America? I believe that the plant that produces them is in Princeton, Indiana.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

11-87 shooter,

I think tthe Tundra is built in Indiana, hell of a truck ... The neighbor absolutely loves it after driving GM for all his life he has been converted ... I wish they would make the Tundra in a Suburban type body style, I'd have one in a heart beat ( no pun intended ) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Bill, from looking at it I think the Sequoia is the Tundra in a Suburban body style, with the same V8 as the Tundra.

I've also owned several Toyotas. My first was an '83 4x4 4WD pickup. It had some issues with transmission bearings, necessitating replacement several times, and the thrust bearings fell out of the crank at about 150 K. I replaced the engine with a used Japanese model, and my son drove it for about another hundred thousand. I bought a new 2006 Tacoma 4x4 and drove it for 86,000 with no issues, then the dealer offered me a deal too good to refuse so I traded it on a 2012. This spring we pulled our small trailer to the Oregon coast and back with our Suburban, but my wife was nervous the whole way and wanted something with more room for the grandkids (the Tacoma had the access cab) and capable of hauling the trailer, so I traded the 2012 Tacoma for a 2013 Tundra with the crew-max cab. The Tacoma had 16,000 on it, and only sat one day on the dealer's lot before it sold. My wife loves the Tundra. We pulled the trailer to northern Idaho a few weeks ago, took it to Sisters OR last week with a load of kids, bikes, and stuff, and leave tomorrow with the kids and trailer for Durango. My wife drives a 2011 Toyota Highlander and loves it.

19. 682b

682b Member

93, Honda Accord 300,000 No major problems. I bought it at a car auction for my daughter in 2000. She could not drive the 5 speed so I started driveling it to trade school (I had to go back to school at 48 to keep a good job with benefits) and commuting to work it still has the clutch assembly it had when I got it. The A/C stills blows cold. I had to go back to school at 48 to keep a good job with benefits. Say what you want it has been good. Jim

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I had to give away my 454 Suburban with about a quarter million on it. It was ready for brakes, rotors, tires, heater core, and another tank of gas, so I couldn't afford to keep it. It is still out there somewhere. The Detroit locker and the motor were worth three times what I got for the truck, but I'm not in the loop for hot rod parts. Sure wish I still had it. The oil consumption problem is solved by 15W45 oil, not by a bunch of engine work. My truck never consumed more than a quart of the 15W45 between 15,000 mile changes.