1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Sons first car!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My youngest boy has been using one of my cars for the past couple of years because he hasn't be able to find a car in his price range. He came home a couple of weeks ago and says "Dad, I found a car for $200 and it runs!". Well, being the ever skeptic that I am began to shoot down his latest idea...which evoked an arguement which ended something along the lines of "fine, if this thing will drive over, I MIGHT take a look at it" (thinking that it would end there).

Anyway, a few hours later this red Miata come buzzing down the street and I was actually surprised. The people that owned it couldn't aford the $2300 estimate to have the clutch, timing belt, radiator, water pump, cam seals, valver cover gaskets, front and rear brakes etc, etc repaired so that's why it was so cheap. Anyway, I called my buddy at the auto parts store and got all the stuff together for $520 and did all of the work myself (between gun and outboard work).

It purrrrrs like a Kitty! It even came with a new top!

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=DSCN0111.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0111.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=DSCN0116.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0116.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=DSCN0118.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0118.jpg </a>

2. RobPete

RobPete Member

Good deal Tron. I look forward to those days with my boy, but hope they don't come too soon!

3. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

That's awesome. Just check out his "socks".

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I bet he has a matching pair in the drawer!

Tron's Auto Repair...

Joe... Nice!!

regards,

Jay

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Joe:
    Your son is lucky to have a dad like you.
    Steve Balistreri

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Miata's are "chick magnets".

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tron--Your son has quite the eye for bargains. I always liked those little Miata's. Cool chick pickup car especially at his age. Heck they make all sorts of kits for them including one that turns it into a Cobra copy. Looks like a fine young man. You should be very proud him.

This is a converted Miata.
    grntitan_2009_250398.jpg

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Gotta love those people who will dump a car that needs a little work.

Got some good bargains in the past.

Regards....Gerald

9. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Yes Sir, there's a kit available to shoe horn a Mustang 5.0 motor in the Miata. Saw them doing one on Hot Rod TV. Complete instructions somewhere on the internet. When done the sucker will fly. How about posting the pics after your done with the 400 H.P., 302 c.i. By the way, cool socks. F/S.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Cool I love to see a kid make a good deal, usually they get hosed

And he's stylin, one sock matches his shirt and the other matches his shorts

11. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Just tell him to not roll it over like my friends son did his Jeep. Dead 400ft from home. Age 19. Nice work and Good Luck with it.

Harry

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Looks like a great find for the both of you. I'll bet you two had a lot of fun fixing that Miata up.

I think you could fit that thing in the back seat of my first car. When I was 18, I bought a '65 Impala SS covertible. That dude was a sled, but I had a lot of fun in it (it had a big back seat).

ss

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So did you have the kid in there turning wrenches with you? The first car is a great opportunity to build mechanical skills.

Pretty nice ride for under a grand!

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hey cat lover,

Wait until you get the insurance quote.

Your boy did good!

Don Verna

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good for him. And he'll appreciate it a lot more than if you gave it to him.

My son was given an old Bronco II from my mother. (It used to be my old work truck.) He had to do brakes, engine diagnostics (bad mass airflow sensor), rebuild the locking hubs, etc.

He wasn't paying attention one day and stuffed the front end. He said it was totaled. I told him he wasn't getting another, so he better go get an entire front end clip and weld it on, replace front suspension parts, and replace the cracked adapter between the transmission and transfer case. Took him a little over a month, but he learned what hard work it was, plus gained experience on it.

It was pretty much the same for me as a kid. My dad had a tow truck deliver a 1952 International pickup to the house. I had to do the brakes, fuel system, ignition and other bugs before I could drive it. Learned how vehicles worked and how to fix them. That truck was a learning lesson.

And that's the real value of the Miata. Sure it's a pretty cool first car. But the lessons learned will be used for a lifetime.

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Joe, I did the same thing with my youngest son. Found him a 1982 chevy blazer with an engine rattle for $500.00. Helped him pull the engine and do a total rebuild for about $400.00 more and He had a good solid vehicle. He drove it for ten years before buying a new car. Other than oil leaks that motor was still running good after my brother drove it for about five years. Then he junked it this past year. It built his confidence and he can build for fix almost anything now. You did well and He will never forget it. Jackie B.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Nice one Tron. I hope you both spent some quality time together on this project!!! I hope he can drive better than he dresses himself??? LOL. Kidding aside, may he enjoy it for years to come. Break-em all. Jeff

18. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Tron, where the room for his drums?

hahaha.....

Jerbear

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

awesome find...nice little car that still cool with almost 4$ gas.....I found a deal like that when I was 17 too...a 66 GTO ragtop that needed a clutch and somebody who can rebuild 3x2's carb setups (thanks dad!!) In exchange for all the work he did ho just asked that I let him take mom on date nights to the drive-in some friday nights...I was glad to of course

20. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My dad got me one of these beauties when I was 17. I had to fix the brakes and rebuild the carb. It ran pretty good with a straight 6 and push button transmission! You pushed the Park button in to start it. It was an early "unibody" construction car. It flexed...a lot! The doors would occasionally fly open when rounding a turn! I welded all but the drivers door shut...didn't want to loose any friends.

Thanks for the first car reminder!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.