1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My son shot first Rooster!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

My 9 year old son shot his first Rooster yesterday at the Seneca Hunt Club in Seneca IL!!! He shot it with his single shot .410 H&R Topper with Winchester Super X 3 inch #5's 11/16 of an ounce...Shot it in the head and anchored it! I am so damn proud! It didn't come easy that's for sure....This was his third and many miles walked before he took his first unassisted bird and a Rooster no less!!! The look on his face (perma-grin) was priceless! My Damn camera crapped out so I don't have a picture to post right now...Fortunately one of my hunting buddies had a camera so I hope to have one up soon!

2. Guncop

Guncop TS Member

Gongrats to both of you. Tell him we are proud of him. Oh yea, Dad you done good too...

3. FIB

FIB Member

Great stuff! I vividly remember my 17 YO getting his. My 11 YO is anxiously awaiting. Congrats again!

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Memories are made and its those good ones that help get one through life.

You have every reason to be proud and that event will always be with you. I remember my sons first roostie and its been 20 years.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I still rember the first flying bird I got - it was a big drake mallard that I jumped off a half frozen creek. I can even remember the smell of that green paper Remington express hull that came out of my little M17 Remington 20 gauge. That was 40 years ago.

Hope your son gets as much mileage out of his first as I did.

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I was 25 years old before I got mine...Even though I went hunting as a young lad with my Dad and Grandfather and Uncles we would walk all day and maybe see one or two pheasants and never got a shot in range of anything but it didn't matter to me...I got to carry a gun and walk with Men that I looked up to and it gave me a feeling of empowerment and responsibility that has became part of me and my maturation process as an adult....It was nothing but good for me I was hooked from the beginning and that is what I want to pass on to my son....

Like I mentioned earlier it took my son over a span of 2 years and 3 hunts as well as many miles walked through very tough conditions coupled with many missed shots and frustration before he made it happen! He would not appreciate it if it came too easy as he will find out anything worth something in life never does...

7. duff645

duff645 TS Member

Way to DAD!!!

That memory will be witht the both of you for years to come. Posting a pic would be great too

8. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Here is a picture from last year of my son and my Weimaraner "Lucky" taken at the Seneca Hunt Club...Great day....BTW....She turns 13 tomorrow and is still going strong!

This was a hen that my son shot at...He did hit it but Dad needed to clean up....No clean up necessary on his Rooster this past Sunday...Hope to have that picture soon...Enjoy!

[​IMG]

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Man.. that's wonderful..tell him congrats!

10. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Great story, I remember things that happen with my 2 daughters and 2 son on different outdoor activities and they still make me smile, and I hope my children enjoy those memory's to. priceless memory's, enjoy your times together.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I'll bet those tail feathers get put away or stuck somewhere in his room for ever. :) He will never forget that shot, the bird, the dog, his dad or the day. Great way to start good hunting memories. Dan

12. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I actually took the tail feathers put some scotch tape around the base and created a tag with the date, where the bird was shot, the firearm used and my sons name "Riley"..I even saved one of the unfired shells from the box he used to take the bird (Shell came from an old box of Winchester Super X 3 inch 11/16ths ounce that he and I bought at the gun show here in IL last year)...The gun he used was my uncles old H&R Topper full choke .41o that I recently inherited after he passed away... A gun that I used to shoot at his resort in Hayward Wisconsin when I was 9! How cool is that?

My Father (Now Grandpa to my son) comes into town the weekend after next and we are all going to go hunting together for the first time! I phoned my dad about his grandson's recent accomplishment and he was beside himself! On our next hunt in a couple weeks 3 generations of Suda's along with my 13 year old "Weimaraner Lucky" will be hunting together for the first time!!! This is something I have been waiting for a long time and a memory I can't wait to create!! I will definitely have a camera that works for that hunt and can't wait to share the pics with all of you!

13. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Good shooting. Even the dog looks happy. This is how it starts, then it lasts forever.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Luckyman , that's geat you have every right to be proud as you can be! Myabe some time will run into each other at Seneca it's a great club.

15. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Congratulations to YOU! My son got his first one this year too and it is the ONLY bird I vividly remember of the many shot. Hopefully both our boys will get the bug but you still have to reel yourself in and definitely do not apply any pressure. If he wants to stay home one day then so be it. A great day for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.