1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My son left us today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

for Camp Pendleton as of tomorrow. Making a stop at MEPS and then is gone for Marine Corp boot camp.

Proud as punch but momma's worried (so am I a little)

Any insight from other Marine, or other branch, parents will be appreciated....

2. psfive

psfive Member

bigdogtx

The next time you talk to him you tell him THANK YOU for want he is doing for this country from me. My thoughts and prayers every day. God bless him and you. Paul Leeper, Nebraska.

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Roger that.

CSM Jon Reitz - U.S.Army (Ret)

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Been there, and done that. He will be a different man in a few months. Don't be surprised.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Yes, he'll be very different when he gets out of boot camp...he'll be a man. My brother, son, and nephew all went through Paris Island. They had great stories to tell afterward.

I have 2 boys in the Army, too. If your wife would like to talk to another Marine mom, she can email me at any time. If you would like my cell phone number or email address, pm me.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Oh, and tell your wife not to send him any cookies, candy, goodies, etc. It'll only make it harder on him if his CO finds out.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My Nephews Marine Recon boots just hit the ground in Afganistan, He did 2 tours in IraQ, completing 19 raids with SF.

He says all he wants mailed to him is socks he can wear and toss, (no laundry}. He has a squad going deep "in Country".

I wish the best for your son, There is not much out there for young guys looking for jobs.

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Please tell him THANK YOU from my family! We will add him to our prayers for a safe and speedy return to you and mom! What in the world would we do without young men like your son!

Jim Porter Mississippi

9. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

bigdogtx, I will put him on my list. My son is currently on his second tour.

Mike

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its a serious profession- even if you only do it for a short time.

You have to understand that you can do absolutely nothing to influence the outcome of his time in the service except to encourage him to do his absolute best and continue to look downrange

Thank him for his service

Relax- it is totally out of your hands now- but if you want a support group for yourselves there are many groups available

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

May God bless you and protect you all.

12. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

Bigdog,

My son is stationed at Camp Lejuene, NC and has one deployment and also helped out in Haiti after the quake. You will see a very different man when he finishes boot camp. If you get the chance be there when they finish the Crucible. My wife & I were fortunate to be there when my son's platoon came off the hill and couldn't have been prouder. We were the only parents there.

The next time you see your son thank him for me and all who have served before him for his service to our country. A lot of guys get rather smart with their comments on this website but military service gets top calling. God bless him and all other men & women who serve or have served.

Joel
    Yuma,

13. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Please tell your Son, "Thank you". My son, an Army Major(Promoteable to Lt. Col) is on his 4th tour. Your pride in your son, believe this or not, will only grow more as he goes along in his career.
    Thank God for these fine young men and women who put themselves in harm's way for the rest of us..

Larry

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Be thankful, be proud, that you both produced a Marine. It can't get any better than that. To you and all the parents who have sons and daughters in the service, Thank you.
    Steve Balistreri

15. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Thank You to you, your son and all who have served before.
    Andrew

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Write to him as often as you can. Don't bother sending anything, he won't get it. You probably know that though. I got to talk to my brother on Christmas 04 for a couple of minutes, that was the hardest part of the whole deal. Make sure you get down there when he graduates. Don't ask for any pictures with Drill Instructors. He will be lean, mean and hungry. Bring his favorite cookies. Be amazed at how many times he can say sir or maam for the first year after boot camp.

17. bigdogtx

I can't tell you how your responses have touched me,,,,it is so good to see that there is still PRIDE in being an AMERICAN!!!! We love this country so much and right now my flag is at full mast.

It is truly a calling that he and God are on. He had prayed about it for a long time and this is where he is to go.

Curvy and Shannon, check your PM.

Steve, We can't call him a Marine yet. I guess he has to make it through boot before we are allowed to do that. He is a "recruit". I can't wait to be able to address him as PFC. (May have to get a new shirt as my chest will bust my buttons)

Joel, I would love to be there but have be told it is off limits. If you have a secret, please let me know.

18. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

Bigdogtx,

You will get contact information from his drill seargent. The crucible is not off limits, you just can't have contact with your son. He will see you though and his chest will be out there father than any other. If you still have problems let me know. I have a friend that is a retired 3 star Marine Corps General that might be able to help.

God bless your son and your family.

Joel Schram
    Yuma, AZ

19. bigdogtx

Joel,

Will do and may give a call if needed. Thanks so much.

Jim

20. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Cover him in prayer, his Devil Dog buddies will cover him everywhere else.

Keep in touch with him, even it's just an envelope with some local newspaper clippings. Home letters are a young Boot's lifeline. A letter every two days is minimal, even when he's not getting them in Boot Camp. Once he's stationed they become even more important, but you'll have something to talk about then.

Encourage him to step out front at recruit training, grab it all and soak it up, don't be a wallflower as some will suggest. His performance as a Boot will make or break his standing for follow-on training, and that makes all the difference in a career. Long or short.

Sounds like he's going to be a Hollywood Marine not a Parris Island Marine? Either way, he's one of us now, you'll have to learn how to share him.

Semper Fi,
    Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.