1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My son is looking for a Golden Retriever Puppy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My son is looking for a Golden Retriever puppy for his kids for Christmas

The breeder I know does not have any puppies now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I miss mine. Wifey says it hurts too much to lose them, doesn't want to get another.

Such lovely animals, and good hunters too.......

HM

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Gary,

Where are you located?

Chuck

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Get a GoldenDoodle (bred between a poodle & golden retriever)
    Best dog going. Great hunting dog, extremely smart, & the best part
    DOES NOT shed

5. twostraight

twostraight Member

Some really nice looking goldens currently advertised in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Lots of good hunting goldens in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Big problem with the Goldens: the big sillies will break your heart. Absolutely the best family dogs. Just go on google search and go to the nearest good kennel. [and fall in love] Bill

7. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

These are ready for the snow.

8. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Are you looking for a bird/family dog or just a family dog? I highly recommend a top brass bred golden. Absolutly hands down best hunting/family/best friend dog I have ever had.

Blind water retrieves at 8 months and never had an accident in the house past 9 weeks. Primer spent hours upon hours at the gun range while my daughter practiced and spent every night at the foot of the bed with my wifes blessing.

Garry

9. PC Jim

PC Jim TS Member

Yea get a doodle dog, pay $2500 for a mut with a catchy name. They're free at the pound.

10. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Im growing potted pomeranians, just add water, this one looks ready to pick!
    sl900loader_2010_06129.jpg

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've heard that some of the mixed Golden/ Poodle or lab/Poodle shed and some don't? Anyone else heard that? i love my labs each and everyone but the shedding, new vacumm cleaner every other year!

12. STARSKY

STARSKY TS Member

I have had 2, and they are the best dogs ever.
    starsky_2008_03037.jpg

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't find a better family dog than a Golden. Hope those kids get that special new family member this christmas.

14. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Here's Copper..

15. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Tell your son to change his mind about that breed. They have been so popular too much inbreeding many are too small. BEWARE-Lee

16. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I would respectfully disagree with slic lee. A well bred Golden is an incredible all around dog. I've been involved with them most of my life and was involved in showing them for a number of years. Most of the Goldens I see now are actually oversized we have just gotten used to seeing them that way. The standard calls for the male to weigh 65-75 lbs. and stand 23"-24" at the shoulder. The female 60-70lbs. and 21 1/2"-221/2" at the shoulder. Temperment is of the utmost importance but there is a lot to be considered.

AKC registration really doesn't tell you much other than the parents were AKC registered. You should check the pedigree to make sure the parents as well as generations back had good or excellent OFA hip ratings, eye clearences etc.
    Check out the Golden Retriever Club of America and read up on the standard. You should also be willing to wait as a good breeder's puppies will be spoken for before they are born although occasionally the may have one available. Considering you will have the dog for ten years or more it's worth the wait.

I'm not sure where you live but there is a breeder in Wisconsin by the name of Summit Golden retrievers, her name is Beth Johnson and she has been around a long time and breeds nice dogs. If it's possible to go there you can see the dogs first hand. And don't be offended if the breeder grills you somewhat, they want to make sure their dogs are going to a good home. And they usually aren't cheap.

All of this is just my opinion based on my experience and I hope it helps. I would suggest you do as much research as possible. It's a big decision. Feel free to email or call me if you'd like. I will be around tomorrow. 630-251-8723.

Mike Pracht.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.