1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My son is in a slump!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff.Buchheit, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit TS Member

My son has hit a slump! He is 13 and growing like a weed. A month ago he was shooting in the consistent 20's and no he is all over the place. The only thing we changed was moving from 7/8 oz shot to 1 oz. he seems to be shooting high now. Is it the shot change or just growing pains?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Eyes checked??

3. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit TS Member

I guess that could be a possibility, but no indication away from shooting that anything has changed.

4. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Outgrowing his gun fit?

5. Mac55555mn

Mac55555mn TS Member

make sure the gun isnt bumping him a little bit , he might be moving his head mount around to avoid it or just flinching some with the added recoil. get a video of his mount , head and eyes. Brad

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not unusual to suddenly start shooting over birds by physically throwing the gun high. Recoil can be an issue or he might have outgrown the gun. You haven't told us much about what kind of gun he has, LOP or comb height!!

7. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit TS Member

He shoots a beretta 682x, lenth of pull is 14", not sure where the comb hight is set, but I haven't moved it yet.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Easy fix, go back to 7/8 oz loads. HMB

9. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Try going back to the 7/8oz load to see if his scores return to what they were. If he is consistantly shooting over the targets it may be that he is lifting his head off of the comb - possibly caused by anticipation of the additional recoil from the 1oz loads.

10. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit TS Member

Thanks for all of your input! Looks like I'm sitting down at the reloading table this week. I hope they return, the state shoot is in 2 weeks and we are both pretty frustrated. Jeff

11. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ask his girlfriend

Ed Yanchok

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Growing equals gunfit changes. Also slow him down and back to fundamentals! Jeff

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Also check his bead alignment. The comb may now be too low and affecting his visibility!!

14. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Maybe the new loads shoot higher than the old ones?

15. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit TS Member

I've been watching his head and it's not lifting. Is it possible the just swiching to the one ounce load would raise the shot pattern?

16. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Take him to a pattern board....... shoot a couple shots. I suspect a review of the point of impact may give you some clues..... Larry

17. Mac55555mn

Mac55555mn TS Member

Jeff tell him to make sure he feels side pressure on the stock after mounting the gun all the way thru the shot. most of the time you try to force your head down when there is a possibility of lifting your head , bad idea it will often change the sight picture or cause a bump to the cheek. side pressure will keep him hooked up from the hands ,shoulder and head . Brad

18. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

welcome to Trap Shooting

19. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Good one Ed,

I was going to suggest hormones too. He's starting to think with two heads now, doesn't that happen about 13 or 14.

I keed of course, but kids bodies change in more ways than just physical.

20. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Have him mount his gun and look down the barrel as if he was shooting. Stand at the barrel end and look back into his eye. the bead should be centered or close to center of his eye. this will tell you if his comb needs adjustment. Take him to the practice trap and pull for him without him calling. This will tell you if he is moving his gun before he is seeing the target. If all else fails, you might want to consider a clinic. Many times an outsider can see little things that you might miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.