1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My son and I shot Barn Pigeons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My son and I got into a large flock of Pigeons on grain silos, fired a shot to get them flying dropped 6 of thyem on the first flight w/multiple kills, and then one by one on return flights, we were there about a half hour before my son had to leave and we killed over 60 pigeons. You have to shoot at a flock of pigeons to realize the difficult shots w/them flaring and diving and turning. We were standing in a few large Propane Tanks that provided some blind effect.

They would come in 3 to 20+ pigeons at a time trying to roost on top of the tall gtrain elevators, Farmer wants them gone so they do not get DROPPINGS on the grain.

We have been going to this farm for several years now, plus we go to the 10+ Egg Laying Farms where the pigeons gather roosting on the roofs and getting grain spilled on the ground.

All of this is within a 3 mile radius of my sons house.

We got blood on our shirts and all over my car from shooting the birds flying into the wind, we even got some banded pigeons, that must have joined up with the wild pigeons.

I don't know if they were carrier pigeons or not, they all looked alike.

We have a bet on who gets the WHITE pigeons first.

The EGG farmers want the pigeons gone also.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

There just isn't much better entertainment than shooting pigeons, have been doing it for 40 years or more. You will get the easiest shots at times and then some of the most difficult that you can imagine. It really sharpens you up for all the bird hunting in the fall.
    The most we ever shot in an afternoon at one place was 103 but you have a lot of afternoons with 25 to 50 birds, and as you continue to shoot them, you will educate them and they duck and dive and get the heck out of there when they see you coming. They get smart just like any other hunted animal.
    Scott

3. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I would guess you killed a lot more. I did plenty of barn shooting in the 50's & 60's. Many many birds would fly 100 yards + before they die.

4. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

We do that every chance we get. I sure hope you had a dog doing some retrieving for you. It is a great way to steady a dog and have him work on his marking besides getting ready for dove season. Shoot Well

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Dr. you should invite bigdon to go with you sometime.

6. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

We shoot the pigeons off of wooden bridges out in the farm land. Where I live there is hundreds of square miles of farming land that has large canels supplying water to the fields. The canels have wooden bridges that cross them about every mile or so and the pigeons roost under the bridges. We drive up and stop short of the bridges and walk out softly onto the bridge with one guy looking up stream and one guy looking down stream. When you get to the center of the bridge you stomp your feet and the pigeons come flying out either straight up stream or down stream. It is just like shooting trap. When you stomp your feet it is just like calling pull. Then you drive the dirt road to the next bridge and do it again, over an over. You sure can go thru some shells and some cold "drinks" in an afternoon. Lots of fun! Dwayne

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Dwayne, so that's why you're so damn good!

Bryan

8. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Bryan - I don't know about being good. I think you win more than I do! Shooting pigeons is pretty good practice though. I think we got some shoots coming up soon! See ya then Dwayne

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When I was a kid we used to do the same thing Dwayne did but our bridges were concrete and we would go to one side and kick some gravel over then run to the other side and shoot them

Killed many flying rats

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

This is a true story.

An older farmer had a bunch of pigeons living in his barn. He knew a couple guys who fancied themselves as pretty good with shotguns. He asked them if they ever shot pigeons and if they were any good. One of the guys says oh sure we shot 150 just last week. Old George says c'mon out to my place and I'll even supply the shells if you guys can get rid of the birds for me.

The two guys line up outside the barn and old George goes into the barn and starts scaring them out one or two at a time. The two guys blaze away until George hears no more shooting.

He goes down and there the two guys are with just 3 dead pigeons.

Ol George scratchs his head and asks "how many shells did it take to shoot the 150?"

11. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

If you are not used to shooting pigeons out of a barn it can be one heck of a challenge, when they know they are getting shot at they come out the top on an end and dive to gain velocity and they like to roll side to side also to avoid the shot. It really gets you sharp with "eye on the bird" and its great for ribbing each other back and forth about misses. Thye are easier to shoot when they fly back and circle the barn. YMMV
    Scott

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I started two of my sons with barn pigeons. The farmers were happy to be rid of them and you never seemed to get all of them. (Seed for the next visit, at least that was our story) Nothing like sitting next to the feed trough when their flight heads in for chow. Even the cows didn't mind the shooting as long as you didn't block their route to the food. When shooting got slow, the farmer would slam the door on the silos a couple of times and it started all over again. Sort of miss those days with the boys. Now, they are grown with families of their own to raise. I'm waiting for the next generation to catch up.

Big Jack

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

You guys all do a lot of shooting while standing among large propane tanks?

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

On one of Dad's farms we had a huge barn that was full of hay to the rafters, and there were a ton of pigeons that would roost on the old rail that they used to use to lift hay to the loft, well one night my buddies and I were cruising around drinking beer and decided to go pigeon hunting.

It was real cold so the birds stayed put

We climbed up on the hay and each if us had a 12 ga and we shot straight down, the rail. We killed a bunch of pigeons but the feathers were so thick we could breathe without sucking in feathers

We probably didn't do the roof too much good

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When you shoot late and the pigeons want to roost they fly up high and fold their wings in and fall, then they flare out their wings and try to get in to roost, when they fare out their wings it's PFOOOOFFF lots of feathers and a falling bird, done this plenty of times near Waverly Ohio.

We shot so many pigeons me and my buddy and his dad and we had to go home and reload, boy was that farmer happy when we left there maybe 25 out on the fence row near US Route 33 North of Dublin Ohio, he had a herd of dairy cows and the pigeons droppings were falling on their feed, he wanted them dead we killed roughly 400-500 of them that Saturday 30 years ago, me and my buddy shot Model 12s w/7 shots and hid dad a Browning Auto 5 we gathered up pigeons in garage bags and we had a 3/4 ton Ford P/U Trk full of them.

That was the best we ever killed on a Saturday afternoon.

We used to go to fence rows south of Columbus Ohio and the pigeons flew south low going over the fence rows to feed in the fields and when done feeding would fly back to downtown Columbus high.

We thinned out the crop of them every Saturday morning for years.

Hog lot hunting was also very good but the farmer did not want the sows eating them, if one fell in the hog lot we had to be careful especially if she had a litter of baby pigs, once I seen pigeon wings sticking out of each side of her mouth, no way was I going in there.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Some of the best fun I ever had with my clothes on was shooting pigeons!!

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Round here you get 3 shots and move on. They are hunted hard.

Haven't seen many in the summer; where do they go?

Corn fed farm birds are good eating.

18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I can see it now- the longdon and longshot barn pigeon shooting duel. Can I buy the movie rights?

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

This has possibilities.

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had a ball growing up shooting pigeons...not much better than pigeon or dove breast stroganoff over noodles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barn pigeon good for