1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My solution to crossfiring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

...is to take away everything the non-dominant eye might use. I've removed the bead and pushed the bbl down. If you don't like electronics, I bet an elevated ghost ring would work as well.

Some use tape, but I want my off eye to help see the target. Some use bead hiders, but my off eye will use the end of the bbl or the end of the bead hider. So for what it's worth, here's a picture of the animal. Notice there ain't no bead. And notice the bbl is down and out of the way. (There's an 'unfair' advantage in that I can look down to just over the house and get a head start on the target.)

[​IMG]

This year's version is below. I call it the 2011 Barakuhna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Smoke 1

Smoke 1 Banned User Banned

Dude - with a GISMO like that you need more MANLY wall paper but please ask your wife for permission first.LOL

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Joe, I have enjoyed seeing your "out of the box" ideas to improve the functions of a trap gun. My question is this. Do you find yourself slowing down as you try to establish a lead on the target with the Ghost site? You have no barrel/bead reference, so is lead more difficult?

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

only women can get their trigger arm that high in the air. Real men have bad shoulders

5. warren

warren Member

It's in your brain, you gotta fix it there. I'm wearing an eye patch in the evenings that seems to help.

warren

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

warren--Please explain further. Are you trying to change your eye dominance?

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I agree with MIA..........BOTH my sholders hurt like hell......just sayin'

D.P.Reynolds

8. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

People have tried scopes and other methods before most here were born. They may work for some. How's your doubles scores? Jr

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I can't tell what the thing looks like from a head-on photo.

MK

10. JACK

Joe builds these things. Does he shoot them? Seems not.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like your creativity Joe and hope this works out for you.

For alot of of crossfire victims, the ghost ring wouldn't work because we aren't using the sights on the gun anyway. But I'm always interested in new approaches to this problems so please keep us posted with your results.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jack, don't you recall all the site experts telling Joe he'd be lucky to ever break a 25 with such guns and sighting apparatuses? I saved a lot of those posts from several experts in case of deletions or "I didn't say that" came about but it didn't.

With the Holo-Sight it's the same heads up principle as fighter pilots use projected on the windshield of the plane. The projected "dot" being that close to his "master pointing eye" there's no way his off eye has anything to make reference to? Remember, the barrel is way below the off eye level, all both eyes see is a target! It's impossible to crossfire with that set-up. IE, his solution to prevent crossfiring!

BTW, Joe shot a 99 with his experimental outfit.

Hap

13. JACK

good to know Hap. See your PM

14. twostraight

twostraight Member

If its in your brain, why do you wear a eye patch? Wouldn't a brain patch work better?

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I wouldn't wish the problem of crossfiring on anybody. First noticed it when I missed 3 left handers from station 1, in a row. A new eyeglass prescription put it off for a year, but it's slowly creeping back. This year I decided to go from a standard sight plane (rib) back to this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See my thread on the 2011 Barrakuhna for more discussion.

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Serious question....why not just close one eye?

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I think Joe has some great ideas. It has been a long winter for me and I just started shooting again and I think the crossfire is back with a vengeance. For the last 8 years or so I have used the small 2 mm diameter Uni-Dot hooded front bead which I can only see with my right eye. I don't know if I have ever made that "Z" type move with the gun barrel that Phil Kiner talked about but I probably have. With the Uni-Dot bead, when my left eye takes over I am only conscious of the target but not the gun at all because I can't see the bead with my left eye. It is a very strange phenomena when I miss those left angle targets and have no clue at all why ??

18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

That's not the same gun from the first pic.

19. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

You should be a "shoe in or ringer" for the Grand American Handicap if you ever register enough targets and can take the pressure. Jr

20. JACK

Mike. I make that Kiner "Z" type move so often that my brain compensates and I HIT the target!

Actually, my gun starts out toward the target now, and usually the release lets go before the "Z" kicks the gun out and then tries to kick it back in defining the "Z" shape move.

Really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.