1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My soft shooting 1 1/8oz loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dove Commander, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I shoot the good old 17.2 gr Red Dot load, 1 1/8 oz of 8's, with AA wad, hull, and primer. I can't believe how soft it is. Actually I'm just tired of seeing all the damn 7/8oz load crap on here. Like Brad Dysinger said..."I'd shoot 1 1/4 oz if they'd let me." I don't deny there are those out there that shoot the 7/8ozr's good, so lets here about those 100 straights w/ 7/8 oz.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

for the most part I load 7/8oz for lead conservation and shoot it in pratice. I take full advantage of the rules and shoot 1 1/8th ATA. I got a 49/50 at a 20g shoot shooting 7/8oz loads

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Nobody wants to convert you, Dove, shoot whatever you like. I have carded several 100s up close with 7/8 oz of 9s and have no interest in converting to your choice either. Like I asked Big Don some time back with his similar complaint about threads discussing light loads, why not just don't open them or why get all wound up commenting about them if they offend you? No flame, just "to each his own", eh?....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Smooth, Sir Cycle rider, smooth! :) Hap

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I relish the 7/8 oz. vs. 1 1/8 oz. debates here. There is still no logical reason stated to limit shooters to 1 1/8 oz. loads other that "it is in the rule book" with howls of protest if anyone suggests lowering the limit to less than that. 1 1/8 limit is just another dreamed up, arbitrary rule created by somebody; somebody else can change it. In a free society - America - let the shooters shoot whatever they want. Why just stop at the "soft shooting 1 1/8 oz. wimpy loads" - shoot 10 ga. or 3 1/2" 12 ga. if you can afford the cost and the recoil; remember higher scores are the object of the game. I suspect a lot of guys are shooting heavier loads than 1 1/8...just like others suspect there are other types of sandbagging going on. Hey, is this a he-man's sport or just a bunch of wimps? Best regards, Ed

6. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

If you want to have some real fun, load a shell with some #6 copper clad pellets--crush it, so the pellets spill out, when no one is looking & wait for the dancing to begin---Phil( I was told this by one of the big dogs)

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dove Commander- It would be possible to find some other loads that will work as well as the load you are using, but it would not be possible to find one that works better.

I, like you, use 1 1/8 oz of shot. Less shot would work fine if I always made perfect shots from the 16 yard line. I can assure you that I do not always do that. With more shot around the target, I think I get lucky now and then.

Pat Ireland

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with Brad - I would shoot 1 1/4 if it was allowed - thats about all I shoot anyways because I shoot mostly games now adays

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Shoot a .410 if you want, I'll throw 1 1/8 myself.

11. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I shoot 1 1/4 oz loads too- because I can't fit 1 1/2 oz in the shell.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The reason you see so much on the light shot charges these days is because a lot of people are experimenting with them trying to strech their shooting dollar and/or extend their shooting fun. We have all used the standard 1 1/8 oz stuff in just about every conceivable combination so there isn't much new to talk about there. But if you must know the truth, my best day on handicaps involved shooting full tilt Nitro 27s. Probably wouldn't have had the confidence in a lesser round.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

DOVE: A little to soft for the back line.

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

BDodd, I believe you and understand where your coming from. I just thought there would be more people telling us about there ATA 100 straights, especially on Singles. I've shot 1 oz on singles with some success, but never tried the 7/8 oz stuff. Just curious about the results. Side note: just saw NBC nightly news about the gun ban ruling. Boy, the libs are upset!

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As one who has not made the 100 club, I have shot many 99s. With both 7/8 and 11/8th. I will continue my quest for the 100 with both loads. Jake

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

I'm in the same boat as j2jake. I have a good number of 98s and 99s but am still chasing the 100 My best scores have been with 1oz with 7/8oz a close second and 1 1/8s just behind. One thing I can say is that when I miss even 2ozs of shot would not have helped usually.
    All I can say is if it's legal and you want to use it feel free. After all it has been the standard load since the ATA brought the limit down from 1 1/4oz and everyone said pretty much the same thing as the 1 1/8 forever folks are saying now. I'll opt for 13 to 25% less recoil and still have good solid breaks when I do my part.

--- Chip King ---

17. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

the primary reason I use 1 oz loads is I have a bad back, I figured @ my state shoot, 4-5days of shooting would kill my back if I used 11/8 loads, I would probably have killed my back & not been able to shoot on a daily basis. I have always shot my best scores with 1 oz loads----1 oz #81/2 @ 1180 for singles & 1 oz #8 @ 1200 for caps----Phil

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

ok, not 7/8, but, I'm at 175 straight with 1 oz of 8.5's using the downrange dxl1 wad right now.......

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Ok, I have to fess'up. I have never shot 1oz in an ATA event. Last weekend I shot 1 oz new Estate #8's in the singles championship at the Ohio state shoot. I was impressed. Couldn't tell the diff. from my good old soft 1 1/8 oz load. My Seitz if full and fuller, so it didn't surprise me that it was tight enough, but I know there is a limit to the max. amount of shot that makes sense. I was just curious if a bunch of people with good scores with 7/8 oz would jump my case. Didn't happen.

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd like to DC, but the closer I get to States and the Grand the more fidgety I get about what I'm going to shoot lol....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.