1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My shell reloadability testing results

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

First id like to say that I'm just reporting the readings off of the chronograph machine. However, after think over all the points of concern in regaurds to the speeds I've decided on my next test, high speed/pressure vs. Low speed/pressure, I'm going to tighten the procedure tolerances to get the most fair and accurate readings by doing the following:

The loading machine will be used for priming, wad insertion, and crimping only

All powder and shot amounts will he hand measured using a digital scale calibrated and accurate to .01 grains

Ill increase the testing subjects from just 1 shell per reload amount to 3 shells per reload amount and ill be taking an average speed reading for that reaload amount.

I will also be switching to a wad that is specifically designed for the hull I am testing.

Any other suggestions on how I can improve my testing procedure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Byg

2. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Why change anything? Your recent deviations are the best that I have ever seen.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think what you are doing is very good. The one semi variable out there that you really can't control is the variability of the hulls themselves. Or in otherwords, you might randomly grab a pair of test hulls and one could have imperfections from the manufacturing process and the other is extra resiliant for some reason. The only way to counter this possibility is to repeat the test a few times or run several hulls in each control group. All of that makes for a bunch of extra work and probably won't establish the point any better than what you have been doing.

Sorry couldn't quite contain my inner engineering geek :)

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing the results of your next test.

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

BYG,
    You have the crowd interested, "turn your dogs loose" thats an old houndsman term for, let the games begin. Scott

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Here is a summary of your data before the three plastic Federals:

[​IMG]

Now I am adding the Federal data:

[​IMG]

And finally all data sets, normalized against the original speed of the shell (1200 ft/sec)

[​IMG]

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BYG and Avaldes, good job to both of you guys!

Hap

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What Hap Mec Tweaks said. Thanks to you both. Ross Puls

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Great reading when the wind chill here is -20. Thanks for the time you put into this experiment.

Pretty much proved what I normally do of loading my STS hulls 8-9 times. Always quit when it got to that point.

SW

9. Beretta Young Gun

Avaldes, that's a great looking chart. Thanks so much for puting the data into a chart. I was trying to figure out a way oc charting my data and you hit the nail on the head. Thanks again

The reason I wanted to tighten the tolerances on my tests was because I was receiving messages from a few members that were concerned/skeptical of my findings. This was just a way of puting there minds at rest.

Stonewall, your post about the temperature got me to thinking about another variable I could test. Warm vs. Cold. My loading room/garage is a constant 70*. When im testing these shells I actually have the chronograph set up inside the building shooting out of an open window out into an open field.

Another variable that i just thought of ws tge fact that these shells are not subjected to the normal vibrations of transporting shells to and from a shoot. They come directly off the loader, pic taken, fired and pic taken all in less than 3 minutes. The shells don't have time to "settle" and the powder doesn't have time to "migrate" around the wad. This could be the explanation for the extreme consistancy I'm seeing in my test results.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL. STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT ROUND OF DATA. BYG

10. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The powder migrates around the wad during reloading, not during handling.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Red Dot will get you more reloads than a slower burning powder like 800-X The smoothie hulls burn off fast, that is the tube seperates and shoots off, The ribbed hull lasts a little longer.

Promo will get you the same results as Red Dot.

BYG how many shooters showed up at Charlies last night 2/1/13

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Awesome Chart!!!! This is some great data and when it is all compiled it truely would be nice if the moderator would merge all the threads into one and keep it as a sticky.

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Wow after further review of your chart why would anybody want to shoot papers? seriously, poorest performance of all and least durability.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A good while back, Neil Winston, performed the same thing with reloads and found even ugly reloads still performed as intended. I think he stopped at 8 or so?

Hap

15. Beretta Young Gun

Scooterbum, I would have to respectfully disagree that the migration of powder around the wad occurs during the loading. During the entire loading process the shell remains up right with the wad above the powder. The law of gravity dictates that all objects of mass fall towards the ground, they don't rise up. Theoretically powder migration should not occur until the shells are turned upside down or side ways and subjected to vibration, such as, falling off the loader, being boxed up, and transported to and from the field. BYG

16. willing

willing Member

Byg
    As the wad is forced down, could not powder be forced up past the wad by the displaced air??? Just asking. You have been doing a great job, Thanks a lot.

Bill

17. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

BYG,

Candle your loads, with a bright light.

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I would tend to think that if powder is being forced UP past the wad that the wad is being pushed down too fast?????? Or a very loose fit????? Sometimes static electricity may cause some "cling". Otherwise I think BYG is correct in his thoughts on gravity doing its job and any migration is the result of handling-transportation-etc. Ross Puls

PS Thanks for sharing your findings. And to Avaldes for his graph.

19. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I added some more charts, including the Federal hull data. I also put all of the data onto one chart and normalized it against the original shell speed. Each progressive dot shows the speed as a percent (%) of the starting speed. If we say we want to maintain 90% of the original reloading speed, just about every reload meets this until the end. Surprising.

20. Beretta Young Gun

Avaldes, nicely formed graph. I just posted my test about high speed/pressure vs. Low speed/pressure. BYG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.