1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Power was out!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

In case anyone's been trying to get a hold of me, my power has been out along with my internet and phone lines. We had a massive storm on Saturday and the power just now came back....but, there's another big storm coming in later in the evening and we may be out again.

Yes, I do have a generator, but it developed a very very weird problem that took me up until a few hours ago to figure out. I've had no power in my shop, but I'm working late to make sure things get done.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=2222114.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

What's the story on the generator problem, so we can learn from it?

3. Tron

OK, in a nut shell: The unit worked perfectly the last time it was in use (about 6 months ago) and as usual, I prepair it for the next emergency (drain all gas, change oil). When I went to use it this time, it started right up (first pull) and the engine ran perfectly...but the generator wasn't producing any output (just 1.2 volts on the 120 receticle and 2.4 on the 220). I took the generator portion off of the engine and ran every test that you could think of. The rotor was OK, the stator was OK and the rectifier was OK (all diodes working normal). I sat there and scratched my head for a couple of hours and then it dawned on me that the core was no longer magnetized. I took my jump box and ran it across the rectifier + and - (with engine running)to remagnetize the core and then, IT WORKED!

Very strange.

4. Tron

HEY!

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Polarizing?

Wayne

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

SO how does a perfectly working generator get its core demagnitized? Was it hit by lightening by chance as you started it up?

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Thanks Tron. Great find. I'm curious as to what you think caused the core to no longer be magnetized?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.