1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

\\\\\ My Post Office Experience Today /////

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skip, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Me “I’d like to ship a firearm please”

Clerk “We don’t do that”

Me “Are you sure?”

Clerk “Yes it’s Illegal”

Me “Please call your supervisor”

Clerk “Ok, just one moment”

Clerk to Supervisor on telephone “Gentleman at the counter would like to ship a firearm, we can’t do that can we?” Short Pause, then she say's ok and hangs up telephone.

Clerk to me “Is the gun loaded?”

Me “No”

Clerk “Please place the case on the scale”

Me “Ok”

Clerk “That will be $52.88”

Me “Thank you”

Clerk “Have a nice day”

2. BP348

BP348 Active Member

That's funny!!

You would thing the people who work at the post office would know what can and can't be sent thru the mail.

I bet the look on their face when the boss told them you could ship it was priceless

3. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

The people in my Post Office are very helpful when it comes to shipping a gun, but I live in the wood's of northeast Ohio and people are a little more understanding about guns and hunting.

Where do you live ?

Bill

ps
    People should not be able to express there political views when they are in a position like that, it's my opinion that an employee of the state or federal government should be severely reprimanded for interfering or trying to influence others with there personal opinions...bottom line...IT's Nun Of Her Business

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Go with UPS. NEVER had any problems!

Frank

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have had them ask Is it loaded? Yea.... And it's pointed right at you. A guy sent me a gun the other day and the Post office made him ship it ground. They wouldn't let him ship it Priority mail because then it would go on an airplane. I have to say that was the dumbest post office person story yet. I asked my person at the Post Office yesterday about it and he just laughed. If we did our jobs or had as little knowledge about our jobs as the Postal people we would all be fired. I asked a Postal person once if I could ship some Dry Ice through the mail as I wanted to send my brother in Maryland some Elk meat. I live in Oregon and I wanted to make sure it would get to him and still be good. Her response and I swear to God by all this is holy that this is true. She said... "I have only worked here 8 years so I don't know all the rules yet." She said this with a straight face and she wasn't joking.Jeff

6. alpine

alpine TS Member

I wouldn't even send dog Pooh with UPS. I have had to chase my packages all over the neighborhood in order to find them.

"Adult Signature Required"? Doesn't even phase those idiots. They just leave the package on a porch 3 blocks away.

7. skip

skip Member

Bill,

I'm in Kennedy country. You know the Kennedy that's killed more people than all of our guns combined have, the big fat over stuffed bloated face porker, always falling down drunk senator from Taxachusetts.

When I purchased the same gun in the same case a little over a year ago it was shipped from a United States Post Office in Kansasb City.

When I met the case at my local FFL, it had Federal Express stickers and labels all over it.

So it started out by U.S. Post Office and finished the trip by Fedx.

Go figure

8. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

UPS costs an average of $20 bucks.

Berettaman7

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use UPS regularly as well as Fed X. Both have occasionally left guns on my porch without a signature. Most times I do have to sign for them. I've asked the drivers and they don't seem to know the reason, even if the box is clearly a gun.

Ed Yanchok

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Just one question . How do the post office people know it,s a gun ? No law or rule at anytime can you be ask what your shipping . The only thing a postal worker can ask you is if your shipment is it CORROSIVE -FLAMABLE OR DANGEROUS and that is it . You should be careful do your Business and that is all they need to know .

KEYBEAR

11. oldcop

oldcop Member

I know people who have listed "Machine Parts" on the shipping notice..I see nothing wrong with that.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Had one fellow suggest it was an ironing board. But when declaring it's value for insurance you pretty much need to properly describe, Eh?.....Bob Dodd

13. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Our Post Office has a large poster right next to the counter that shows what can and cannot be sent. As stated by everyone long guns, yes. I thought they did not want the contents stated on the outside. Wow!!! there's a gun in this package!!!! It would seem pretty dumb to me. But, that's just me.

Mike

14. skip

skip Member

Maybe I was wrong to identify the contents of the gun case as a firearm, the clerk never asked what was inside even though it was an aluminum gun case, wasn't sure what to do.

There was no form to fill out and nothing put on the outside of the case indicating what was inside.

Cost break down:

Total shipping weight 25 lbs 3 ozs. (Case & Gun)

Parcel Post fee: $20.58

Oversize Package Charge: $2.90 (Clerk measured the case with an old cloth tape measure)

Signature Confirmation: $1.90

$2500 Insurance: $27.50

Is it illegal to ship a long gun and not reveal the contents to the shipping clerk?

15. oz

oz Active Member

My post office is a pain. I waited all day once for a delivery of a shotgun BARREL. saw the idiot drive by. went out to the mailbox anc found a PO note: "sorry we missed you. you can get your stuff tomorrow at the post office." UPS brings it to my door ALWAYS. oz

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Keybear is correct. After having to go through what Skip did, I finally got the post office "trained" in my area. But I did have a postal employee with 12 years seniority tell me until I corrected him about the USPS policy on shipping guns. He was under the impression that no guns could be shipped unless it was through a FFL holder. Now, even though there are different employees working the counter, I have never had a problem. They just ask if the package has any hazardous content and I answer no. Then I ship it out, Priority Mail, insured with delivery confirmation. None of their business what is in the package. Why volunteer information? However when I ship through the USPS I never mention anything regarding guns in the address; i.e. Doug Braker , NOT Dougs Gunsmith Shop. Ed

17. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

guys I use DHL all the time. they take the package and I pay for the insurance and ship it ground. You can go to www.DHL.com and print the packing/shipping label then drop it off at any ogffice max store and the driver will pick it up there. No charge for the pickup. try the web site it's easy and you can use your credit card for therpayment and print the label at home motordoc

18. MX-10RS

MX-10RS TS Member

For those of you who wonder if it is illegal to ship a gun and not declare it, you may want to refresh your memory by reading 18 USC 922(e) which makes it a federal felony to cause a common carrier to transport a firearm without a declaration. But then again, perhaps I'm wrong.

19. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Question...To those of you who told the clerk what was in package. Did they write it down somewhere other than on the package(which is not allowed). If they did'nt record it somewhere then whose to say you DIDNT tell them what is in the package. I stopped telling them to avoid them opening package to make sure barrel is not too short, then having to re-wrap. Priority mail with insurance costs 22-30 depending on price of gun. the insurance form does not
    have a line to list contents just value.

20. BMC

BMC Member

I was at the post office last week waiting in line to ship some stuff. An older gentleman was before me and told the clerk he wanted to ship a knife. It was a small collector type knife, maybe three inches long closed. He had a box prepared, but showed it to the clerk. The clerk told him they couldn't ship it. The guy told him yes you can. The clerk went and got the supervisor who then told the guy he had to declare the contents on the box and it would have to ship ground, that it couldn't go on a plane. I thought that was interesting, disturbing for something so trivial, but interesting none the less.

I ship birds a lot and you want to talk about a pain dealing with the post office...whew...that one is super challenging at times because the USPS uses contract carriers such as Fedex. Fedex does most of the shipping because the planes are cargo-only planes, not passenger planes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.