1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My options shooting doubles next to semi auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warren, Aug 5, 2013.

1. warren

warren Member

Sunday I was shooting doubles leadoff and the guyon 5 was shooting a semiauto I didn't notice until the hot empties started hitting me on the next post. I complained, he appologized and kept shooting one of the shells hit me in the cheek and it was hot, of course my score went to hell and I complained bitterly but he kept appologizing and kept on shootin. What are my options with this situation???

warren

2. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

Carry rubber bands in your pocket

3. warren

warren Member

Those won't work with doubles.

warren

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Turn away while he is shooting, then take the time to reset before you shoot. Mark

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>>What are my options with this situation???

Grow a pair?

6. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Take responsibility for your own shooting and scores. It isn't the wind, either.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Pull out and resquad if it that unnerving...I have often thought though that a shooter using an auto should be able to declare so when they are squading to either keep the spot open to his right or have an all autos squad once the first shooter takes a position..that would be no trouble as there really are so few autos being used

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think you can demand that he re-squad. He is suppose to have a shell deflector or have the gun modified so the hulls eject forward. He is distracting.

I normally just turn my back to the shooter and protect my gun, letting the shells hit me in the back. But I wear a vest and long pants.

Other option is step back until after he shoots.

Jason

9. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

All I shoot is Renington Auto's & would like to start shooting doubles. Any advice would be appricated & yes my guns have the deflector stud in them. Thanks & Good Shooting

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A deflector stud doesn't solve the problem. If I have to chase a right angle on four, I'm going to hit the guy on
    five. I look to squad on a 3 man squad. There aren't many doubles shooters using an auto anymore, but also there's
    fewer doubles shooters.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hmmm, think I'll tune my semi-autos to be less of a distraction on doubles than O/Us throwing hulls toward others! BUT, some will bitch at the sight of a semi-auto regardless!

HAP

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Concerning asking the auto-shooter to resquad...what if he were the first signed on that squad?...not right to make him resquad..that said..there does need to be some kind of flag at squading noting a shooter using an auto so others who might object can not sign with him if it bugs them..sound like extra work at signup but much less of a PITA than hearing the bitching and cussing after shooting has started for those officiating

13. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

What about me being left-handed starting on 2. The guy on 1 would put barrels on pad, wait about 5 seconds, then break open his O/U throwing the hulls about 3 feet in front, just as I called for a pair.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like disrupting the harmony of the shoot. A screen should be placed between the shooting positions to block the empties. But since it appears that management doesn't give a sh!t, that won't happen. HMB

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

He paid for the targets and has the right to shoot; but my scores are just as important to me. It makes no difference to me if his hulls are bouncing off of your noggin, but I refuse to shoot doubles next to one, and will resquad. There's much to be said for knowing who is on the squad with you.

best...mike

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sooo, why aren't screens/partitions allowed?

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This is the most distracting thing that can happen at a shoot. I run a club and we do not allow autos without a deflector or a stud unless you shoot alone or accept a rubber band which we keep in stock. Nobody wants a $1000 + piece of wood dinged not to mention the distraction. Every year at hunting season we get the hunters with the beneli black eagles and big shells who come to tune up. Those things will throw a shell far and hard

18. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I had this problem at the Eastern Zone shoot in PA 2 weeks ago. I shoot a semi-auto for doubles because they have less recoil and the same Point of Impact. I could never find an O/U that had the same POI on both barrels. In the class doubles on Friday the guy to my right was clearly distracted and complained after the first 50. This not only bothered him, but his complaining bothered me. We actually had a agitated discussion after the event. I only broke 90 and he broke 80. I knew I had to fix this problem.

Later that day I designed a shell deflector and attached it to my gun. I went to the practice trap Sunday morning and it worked beautifully. The ejected shells did not distract the shooter on my right anymore. They landed about 2 feet to my right. In the doubles championship I broke 98/100 with the deflector on my gun. They are simple to make and inexpensive. I'm thinking of obtaining a patent on the design when I get back from the Grand American.

I'll keep you posted as to what I do with it.

Hit 'em hard,

John

19. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

John,

Please run with your idea. I think this is a bigger problem than most people think. I love to shoot doubles but I shoot an 1100 so I avoided them. It just wasn't worth all the evil looks I got, and I didn't need the aggravation. For me, trapshooting is supposed to be fun.

I bought an over/under and now my scores are 10 targets lower than the 1100. My guess is your device will be cheaper than buying a new gun. I am sure I am not the only shooter that just didn't bother with doubles because I shoot an auto. I think your deflector could get more casual shooters into double and that would be a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Joe

20. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Joe, I'll get on it. I'll try to get to the Patent office this week. I think more people would shoot a semi-auto better than an O/U because it is only one barrel to set up and learn.

Hit 'em hard,

John

Search tags for this page

shooting an auto for doubles