1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations at gun clubs and life in general!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Now that I'm retired it allows me to go to area gun clubs during the week instead of just weekends. My first observation is, who are these guys? There are shooters at these clubs during the day, that I have never seen on weekends. I asked one guy if he ever goes to the club on weekends? He said no, and walked away. As he walked away, I said to myself he seems like a friendly guy, NOT!

My second observation is that most of the gun club patrons are in their 80's and rarely shoot anymore. These are not gun clubs to them, these are social clubs. Nothing wrong with that, as these same guys spent a lot of money over the years in this sport, including myself.

One club that I attended during the day has a huge social gathering and most don't shoot. With the average age about 90, the club needs to ask for volunteer candy stripers to deliver meals with the covers over the plates. As I am sitting talking to my friends one day, someone who works for the club asked me, are you shooting today or are you just visiting sucking up our free air? I said to myself, they should work for the welcome wagon, as I decided to leave.

It is cold here in Wisconsin, and with our recent blizzard that we had, the local news had a story about a woman who had the liquid in her eyes freeze up and froze her eye balls? I never heard of that happening. I never heard of a guy say he froze his eye balls off? With that being said, my wife and I are huddled in our living room with the new blankets that have arms attached that someone gave us at Christmas. The wind was howling outside, 15 inches of snow, drifts 6 to 8 feet high. My son in law calls and says, pop, I am thinking of taking the family to an indoor water park this weekend to swim, can you watch Toby the dog for me? I responded by saying it's a little too warm to swim don't you think? He wants to go swimming in this weather, as my windshield washer fluid just froze up on my car. I said why don't you take my daughter and the kids for a ice cream cone too while you are at it?

So my wife and I are dog sitting this weekend. My daughter and her husband took my grand kids to some water park here in Wisconsin, like he said he was going to do. They have a huge big hairy dog. He will eat anything, and I mean anything. He just celebrated his 1st birthday. I hope he isn't like one of our dogs that ate 9 golf balls one time. Another time he also ate a rag, and Popsicle sticks, and some Green bay Packer band aids. He is also like my old dog as he will eat rocks if you put gravy on them.

He's been here since noon yesterday and he's eating me out of house and home. I was watching TV,laying on the floor last night with a pillow and a blanket, and he jumps down on me from the couch, with his 100lbs of weight. He has done this a few times over this past year. He is white and has paws are like those bears in the Artic that just lay on the ice. His name is Toby, even his name sounds like he's a big dummy. Deep down he's a good dog, hopefully he won't kill or eat me this weekend.

On Sunday here in the Milwaukee area, a lot of clubs have big Super bowl money shoots. I was thinking of shooting it. My adult son said to me the other day, "Dad, how many years have you been trapshooting? I said 41 years. He asked me how much money have you spent in this sport? $400,000.00 Plus I said. He asked me when was the last time you had a 100 straight? I said 1971. Why do you stay in this sport when your not that good? I told him all my friends are in the shooting sports. With each shoot I participate in, I still have fun, enough said.

Well these are some of my observations from the past week. Before I forget, I slept in a chair in the living room last night, as Toby was laying in my spot in bed. Too much work to lift 100lbs of dead weight. I am going to the gun club now.
    have a good weekend.
    Steve

2. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I'm glad your having fun in your new found life of retirement.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm retired also (7 yrs) & like you can go to clubs mid week, but down here in Ga. there aren't as many clubs as I was accustomed to in the upper mid-west (Iowa was home but Wis. & Ill. were just across the river). Luckily I have been accepted fairly well at the ones I have been to here, maybe not quite as well as home area but then I realize I talk with a weird accent (chuckle). What I do miss is the games--Annies--Brother-in-Laws--Follow the Leader--3 for buck from light pole--etc. Getting back into shooting again a little since my wife is out of the hospital & back at home (cancer) she is doing VERY well (Thank you dear GOD). Even with tolerable weather here in Ga. they don't shoot much in the winter, my club does have a registered shoot the end of this month hoping for good weather.

Don't have any grand-dogs to sit for but that's O.K. the one we have (Scottish Terrier) is badly spoiled and keeps us hopping.

Haven't spent even 10% of that amount shooting, but enjoy every minute of what I have done. Never have had 100st.--a couple 99s & everything below.
    Stay Warm & be glad you can still get out and shoot. Ross Puls

4. maka

maka Member

Thats what great about living in the Badger state of Wisconsin. All those old badgers are out at the club during the week and were wondering who the h--- is this new pup. Same in NE WI. Keep your powder dry and use in on weekends.

5. senior smoke

I was at the grocery store this afternoon and I ran into a friend of mine from the gun club. He was with his brother and he told him that I was the best salesman he ever saw. He said I could sell a shooter a bag full of snakes and I would tell the guy these were charm snakes and by the time I was done talking the guy would say that he'd buy a couple of these charm snakes. That hurts, I may have sold some questionable items over the years out at the club. Any idea how much snakes are going for? Wonder if they sell them by the pound?
    Steve

6. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Selling snakes? I think I will put off retirement for a few more years.

Rich (enjoying your threads) in Indiana

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Makes me want to show up with my camo hunting shotgun and shoot a few rounds of trap with it. Imagine the angst.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Senior: Very funny. Maybe you missed your calling-----like taking up comedy writing.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Interesting conversation when you told about the guy who mentioned he froze his eyeballs. In the early 70's I worked at a grain elevator and during one of the coldest windiest nights I have been alive another man and I had to measure the bins (dept of corn) before we started loading out a one hundred car train. The wind was close to fifty miles and hour and if anyone of you have ever been on the top of a grain elevator during high winds you would know that the wind will hit the side of the elevator and go up and overthe top of the bins. We had one bin lid that was close to the west edge of the elevator and as we got close to the edge the wind would almost blow us off our feet. I turned to look down at the tracks where the local train crew was positioning the train for us and my eyes froze open and started to freeze the eyballs. When this happens the sight starts looking like one is looking thru a window that is covered in ice.Not only is it painful but it scares the heck out of you when this happens. I told the other guy that I just froze my eyes and he told me that "thats' rediculous" and I said I looked over the side to the tracks and he did the same thing and froze his eyes. That I know of neither of us got any damage as we had both quickly turned away from the wind andour eyes went back to normal. Trust me if it's five to ten below zero and the wind is over fifty miles an hour you don't want to expose your eyes to the windchill. Dan

10. senior smoke

Dan:
    Boy that must of been scarey. Sounds like a very dangerous job, especially in poor weather.
    Steve

11. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

The little club I go to sometime for practice has maybe ten shooters that show up on a Saturday morning,they mostly come to B.S..About 20% of the shooters that show up there shoot registered targets and im one of them.Another club I go to it's an 80% count for registered shooters.More shooters also!!!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.