1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My observation of the Grand Grounds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Very nice facility, nice grounds, only a few I did not like.

Distractions from Cars traveling on the road beyond shot fall area.

Weeds growing may hide this later on.

Starting Trapfields needed SHADE TENTS it was 113 Degree heat index Friday.

Friday there should have only been one event The Handicap.

I am not counting the carry over doubles because of the rain. Friday there was 3 events 1 carry over, the Blaser Handicap, Sportear Doubles.

The Blaser Hdp should have been the only event in my opinion,

They were shooting off very late Thursday evening. It did not look to me like the shootoffs were very organized, too few and not in front of the GRANDSTAND

More shootoffs should have been going on.

I think 2 nights w/meetings starting at 6:00pm to discuss what is needed from the members to help attendance,

I believe the targets I shot on BANK 8 were 3 hole targets, they were wider than 2 hole targets. Not a problem.

All shooting should be finished by 4:00pm each day, events need to be set up for this attainment.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shade, shade and more shade. Regardless of how hot or not that it is the shooters need more shelter.

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

At Vandalia - West end, hot day - you could sit in a rental car with the A/C running. If the car blew-up it was just a short drive to the airport to trade the broken car for a new one.

4. Dr.Longshot

Someone has short memories they were tents on the WEST END at Vandalia.

There were lots of trees for shade on the east end, could not plant any trees on the west end it was airport property.

The forecast for Sparta was known way ahead of time, also winds and rain storms
    have plagued the shoot at Sparta.

Thursday night there was one hell of a storm.

Sparta has trees planted and they are 5 years old, the manage says it is the strip land soil that is holding down their growth, it will take time.

5. Dr.Longshot

The only real negative thing that needed fixed was RJ Sturat postings on the TV some were only Nano-Seconds long and did not post often enough, like the $100K Winners list never got to read that first name it was gone almost immeaditly.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

There was shade in the West End at Vandalia. My son and I spent more than one toasty afternoon underneath the target semi-trailer waiting for our squads to come up. I remember a friend of mine used to call it "Hell's Kitchen". Must have been something good about it, we kept going back 'til it moved.

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

FYI

White Flyer lost 4 shade tents on pre-lim week when the rains came through. So yes there were tents to begin with but mother nature destroyed them. The tents will be replaced and I suspect the IDNR and the ATA will work to offer a solution.

I have been to 5 grands here in Sparta and from my observation the last two days has been excellent. I was there on Thursday when the rains came luckily no one was hurt!

Ronbo

8. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I might suggest some of those $695.00 special metal buildings instead of tents, well-anchored of course, at the B and D traps so you have shade each 50. And while we are at it, some along the TENT - vendor area for socialization and relaxing.
    The Department of natural resourses SHOULD be able to grow trees and grass. The Highway Department can grow grass on rocks! jmho.......merlyn

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I looked at all the trees where I shot. There are very few healthy trees. Every one had borer holes in them and a good push would break them all. Any trees that are planted on this property are going to have to be very hearty and need a lot of tender love and care.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

We brought our own shade. A large umbrella I bought 4 years ago attached it to the golf cart.

I am so glad that Longsh?t has given us his opinion, as usual worthless.

Don

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks BigDon. Absolutely. The best advice for hot weather is a golf cart with a sun shade. I had one at IA State and will never go to a major shoot without one again.

12. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

Shade and I also don't understand why they don't use the last couple of banks on the end?

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rem STS- As far as i know they used them all on various events. I shot on Bank 27 last Sat and Sun Aug 7th and 8th and my son worked on bank 2 the whole shoot. He said Bank 1 was also open. Which Banks are you referring to?

14. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

What arrogance. Nobody in the real world has the ability to tote a golf cart around with them.

Perhaps some real change would occur if the RV's were banned from every event, and the RV crowd had to rent cars and hotel rooms like everyone else.

15. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Don, remember my big tent I took to Vandalia? Was always full when I came back from shooting. I always brought plenty of chairs for visitors. Was alot of fun. Still hot but the adult beverages helped. New job for moron smoking357 to wave fans for us SHOOTERS. He can work for tips..pretty high level job for the dope. he could carry his 22 and act as security at the tent.
    Chris

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Hellcat, the cost of 'pop-ups' is coming down, and (if you keep a handful of ty-wraps, a few pieces of ΒΌ" rebar and an engineering hammer in your truck) you'll have more stability, more shade and more air than any beach umbrella.

For add-ons, the Froggtog Chilly Pad and Chilly Dana are pure-un-teed miracles.

Add a comfortable lounge chair for your dad, a collapsible cooler of water, tea & Gatoraide ...

Yeah, you'll have to make three trips from the truck. so what ...?

Bob

17. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Barry you make a good point about those trees. They are not going to make much shade in our lifetime, if they can even survive on that poor ground. They really need some shade behind the banks, the trolleys should just be considered a band-aid and not a permanent solution. When there is no breeze they are miserable hot inside. The permanent shelters over the banks on the west end are fine, they need to be installed for the entire facility.

Thursday morning when the first storm blew in shooting continued even after lightning was visible in the area. Almost every golf course has a lightning detector that indicates lightning in the area so the course can be cleared. $174.00 buys a nice one. For the sake of safety, since the WSRC is such a spread-out facility, we need one of these before there is a tragedy. At least give the bank supervisors the authority to stop the shooting when lighning is sighted, without waiting for approval from the office. They took way too long Thursday morning to call the shooters and help off the line.

The storm on Thursday was another wake up call for PERMANENT restroom facilities along the shooting line that could double as storm shelters. Most everyone waited out the storm in their vehicles, which is a poor place to be. The trap help was sent to the trap houses, the shooters were on their own for shelter.

The WSRC/ATA was lucky on Thursday that no one was hurt, and they got away with it this time. Over the 12 day span of the Grand there is bound to be a storm or two. Not being prepared (and apparently they are not) opens up the facility and the ATA to legal liablity should someone be injured or killed by a storm.

18. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Look at little Chrissie, still running and crying.

I see you're still afraid of my .22, because you know I'm a better gunman with it than you'll ever with a 12 gauge.

BWAAAAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

...goes little Chrissie.

Did you change your name because you wanted to be the real Chrissy from Three's Company?

19. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Chrissie's still running from that other thread where he ran like a scared little puppy from my .22.

What kind of dad would name his kid "Chrissie?"

By the way, all kidding aside, are you part of the crowd that thinks a .22 is non-lethal? Do you think a .22 wouldn't kill you dead with one shot?

20. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Distractions from Cars traveling on the road beyond shot fall area.

Weeds growing may hide this later on.

And jets landing and taking off weren't ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.