1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My new Wildcat cartridge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

omgb_2008_0303.jpg

OK, so here is my new wildcat...I call it the .735 Talleywacker. It uses a custom turned 12 bore 3" case loaded with 180 grains of 2Fg GOEX, a mixed wad column and an 850 grain slug. It's tailored after the early 12 Bore paradox rounds of the late 19th century. The rifle is an H&R Ultra slug gun I bought off of a nice gentleman here on TS. It shoots very well, cutting a daisy at 50 yards (too big to be a clover leaf) and running about 2 inches for a three shot group at 100.

R J Talley

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Can you say "OUCH"!

ss

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nice.

My thumper is a Winchester 1885 Single Shot High Wall Thickside with a #4 barrel in .50-140-700. Bullet is .512", 700 grains propelled by 140 grains of blackpowder.

At one time Winchester made a .70-150-900, which was a brass 12 ga shell bottlenecked to .70 caliber. It was chambered in the 1887 lever action shotgun. The barrel was mostly smoothbore, with rifling in the last few inches. (This is called "ratchet rifling".) Very few were made, and most went to India for tiger hunting. Always wanted to build one, but never found a suitable (ie cheap but functional) 1887.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You both are inspiring me.....

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What kind of velocity are you gettig ... 1500 fps?

Gotta kick like 2ules!

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Kick? That's one word for it. Standing off-hand it's tollerable. It's a hell of a lot more than a typical 12 gauge slug because of the huge weight of the powder charge. That being said, it's not intollerable for 5 or 6 rounds. After that, my shoulder tends to twitch a tad. :) Now from a seated position off a bench rest...that's a horse of a different color. It knocks my glasses off to one side and it makes my jaw hurt after two rounds. Dang it's fun though and everyone on the line just HAS to stop and see who in the hell brought a cannon to the range.

7. BigM-Perazzi

and the T-Rex targets are so cool!!!

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have you ever shot a prairie poddle with it? Better yet,hit about 3-4" below him & see how far he goes.

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Hit a couple of inches low? Heaven forbid! I'm afrain I might blast a hole straight through to China and start an international incident.

10. Brian in Oregon

I've used a 45-70 on sage rat mounds. No worries if all they show peaking above the mound is their head, or are hiding in a furrow. When that 500 grainer slams into the dirt it takes care of business. The only drawback is the rainbow trajectory. You have to be very good at estimating range or use a rangefinder, and know the trajectory of the bullet.

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I wonder how it would work on Sandhill crane? AJ

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have yet to use it on anything more viscious than 1/4" mild steel plat and an occasional cinder block. At 50 yards it's pretty leathal on both.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

YIKES!!!! Kills outa one end and cripples on the other!!! I'd say this is one "wildcat" that isn't gonna be copied a lot! Good job putting the two together!

Hap

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I invented a wildcat one day cranking out .45 ACP ammo. Somehow a .40 S&W case snuck into the operation and the Dillon didn't even hesitate. The loader automatically opened up the 40, dropped the powder, and seated a lead 45 into the business end. Voi-la, the new cartridge; however, never could discover how to load it into a magazine or revolver cylinder...<;-)

15. Brian in Oregon

BDodd, take a look at the breech block of a Burnside Carbine. Your cartridge would fit a breech block using that concept.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hmmm, no, I think I'll just keep the (emptied) case and bullet on the shelf for idle chatting.....:)

17. BigM-Perazzi

Bdodds rebated rim 45/40...

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just the opposite of the .357sig.

ss

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

REBATED; that's the word I've been looking for for several years. And, the 45/40 should confuse some too! Thanks Big M.......breakemall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wildcat cartridge forums