1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My New Version Of Adjustable Rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Over the past couple of months I have been tinkering with my custom BT-99, building a stock up to my demensions and messing with add on ribs and POI. through my tinkering I had a very good idea of what i wanted for a rib. so I gave my dad a drawing and this is what he came up with. The rib is made of milled aluminum. Its held on to the already existing rib using a simple clamp design. the rib is also fully adjustable. the back of the rib pivots on a pin and can be locked down with the set screws that hold the clamp to the rib. the front of the rib moves up and down on a slot cut in the rib, and is locked down by tightening a screw that runs through the clamp and rib. the poi on this rib is 90/10 to 120%.
    berettayounggun_2008_030383.jpg

overall picture of the rib
    berettayounggun_2008_030384.jpg

picture of the front of the rib. clamp, set screw and guide slot can be seen.
    berettayounggun_2008_030385.jpg

back of rib. clamp, set screws and pivot pin can be seen
    berettayounggun_2008_030386.jpg

angle view of back of rib showing how rib is clamped on the existing rib
    thanks for looking BYG

2. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Nice work.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The only people that use a term like float the bird really have no (no) idea of what they are saying .

4. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Nah, he was insulting me. I asked a question about using high ribs, in which I dared to say "floating the bird" and "covering the bird," so I drew a sharp insult. I didn't know that these terms were not used among Trapshooters.

I deleted the discussion of technique and left the compliment of the handiwork.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

smoking357...beautiful and creative work. BTW, I saw that movie, I think the late George Burns was in it! Maybe arguing is healthier than feeding pigeons in the park.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

357, Those terms are used all the time.

7. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I'd think so. I didn't think them up on my own.

Still,

"The only people that use a term like float the bird really have no (no) idea of what they are saying."

Anyway, I don't want to threadjack the OP who did a nice bit of gunsmithing.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

That will be a first you not wanting to threadjack the OP. It will be the first one you are in that you haven't threadjacked.

Bob Lawless

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Whatever the petty little gods here say,that is nice,thoughtful work. I wish you good shooting with it. Break 'em all!!! Tom Lobonc

10. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

You have to excuse 357AH,,,he's still working on that Liberty thing,,,,,,he'll get it someday,,,,,,,,,

11. Beretta Young Gun

12. Beretta Young Gun

i have gave consideration to marketing this rib. however i dont have the equipment at home to make them. my dad used the tools of a good friend to make this one. i am also un awhere of the cost of production. i will have to do some research and figure crunching before i make a decision. but out of curiosity how many of you would be interested in having one of these ribs made to your specifications? and what do u think a fair price would be? thanks BYG

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pretty neat rib design. Do you have any issues with the rib sounding "tinny"?

ss

14. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I am assuming that the clamps are aluminum and will be interested if the set screws are the final solution or if they tend to loosen or hog out the alloy over time/shots. I'm wondering if steel may not be necessary on the clamps where the set screws are occasionally loosened or tightened. Or steel thread inserts.
    How do you plan to finish the top of the rib to reduce glare?
    Overall very clever. Congrats! We should all have such a handy father...
    dju

15. Beretta Young Gun

unfortunatly the rib does sound a little "tinny" wen the gun goes off it kind of sounds like an SKB wen its fired. i am also in the prosess of trying different finishes. the true test of this rib will be tonight. it will be the time this rib will be used in competition. i only shoot buddies and annie oaklys and that kinda stuff. so hopefully this rib will stand up to some abusive shells. and if not ill start making improvements. thanks BYG

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

From the angle of the rib, and the angle of the barrel. This gun must shoot incredibly high. I don't think "floating the bird" would be enough. I think you would need to extend your shooting glass lenses up over your forehead. I am not being critical, just thinking that is a high shooting gun. That being said, there is a market out there for a custom rib I would think, as trapshooters are always looking to change there guns to improve there confidence along with there scores.

17. Beretta Young Gun

this rib shoots 120%. i am an extremely fast shooter, so a gun that shoots high helps me. however i can make a rib to what ever specification a shooter wants. however tall in the back that a shooter wants and what ever poi the shooter wants. thanks BYG

18. Beretta Young Gun

19. Beretta Young Gun

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

BYG, I'm with Stl Flyn in this. We are both wondering how you came to that 120% figure - it sure looks a lot higher - and hope you will translate that to a distance high at a distance far so we can recheck our own eyes and angle estimates.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.