1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My new TM1 and I have questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 338reddog, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I just bought a perazzi TM1 made in 1973. For the most part it appears to have been stored in the back of a safe. I shot it last night and shot a 22 and a 20 from 16. The lever is far to the right and the only blueing that is/was missing was on the trigger guard and a small spot on the receiver just ahead of the trigger assembly. Twice last night I found the lever in the closed position with the action open. I dont know if I didnt push the lever far enough or if I need to replace any springs. Also how do I measure choke constriction with out a guage.On the underside of the barrel I see *18.5. The inside at the muzzle measures 0.685 in inches and 17.41 in mm. Also on the barrel is KG 470.I do have the build sheet but it just says Full. Also the barrel is ported I am unsure if in 73 that was factory or aftermarket. The only bad I see about the gun is that it has had the comb lowered between a 1/8 and a 1/4 of an inch, so I have to bead check before I call for the bird. Also someone installed a reoil reducer, and I will have to plug the hole if I decide to add an adjustable comb. I Did think about building up the comb with a thin strip of ebony and then walnut on top. I would appreciate any help or advice. That is if you can read through my ramblings,misspells,and fragmented sentances.
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, as a start, the lever should not be "far to the right". Optimum is over the metal about 1/8" from the wood on the right side. A good gun smith can adjust the locking block to fit into the bbl slot properly. And he will check the top lever return spring. That could well be weak as well.

3. JACK

The gunsmith will check the choke and most gunsmiths will fit you up with an adjustable comb and fill the hole in back too. You are missing a "1." in from of the 470 for kg.

4. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Thanks MIA
    I did miss the 1 it is lightly stamped.The lever is about 1/8 inch fom the wood it is about level with the engraved border.I am trying to upload a pic.

Jeff

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

MIA is right. A lever all the way to the right is the sign of a gun with a lot of shells through it. It means the gun has gone through some rebuilding.
    The lever will close while the gun is open if the little button in the face
    of the receiver is pushed - that's what closes the lever when the gun is closed.
    You might look at holes for the firing pins in the face of the receiver. If they're cratered, that's also a sign that a gun's been shot a lot.

6. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

18.5 is the bore diameter in millimeters which equals .729 in inches. Usually there is another marking besides that one for the choke.

7. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I dont see any evidence of craterig. hope this pic works

8. 338reddog

338reddog Member

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You need to pull a Perazzi lever pretty far to the right to get it to catch and stay open. When I first transitioned from a Beretta I had problems pulling it far enough over so it would stay.

10. 338reddog

338reddog Member

On the barrel the only other markings I see are proof marks. On the block I see
    MAP, CAM 70, and seral number wich matches all parts.

11. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have a TM1 that was unfired until a couple of months ago and the opening lever is in about the same position as yours. Unaltered TM 1 full chokes are tight. I have seen them from .034 to about .037. Mine is .036. The target is not incinerated when hit, it just disappears. I have no intention of altering the one I have.

12. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Avaides: My buddy went with me last night he has a MX8 combo, He said he no problen getting it to latch. I think he shot my gun more than his. His only complaint was he felt that the buttstock was to heavy with the recoil reducer. The gun had 2 of them but I removed the one in the stock bolt hole because I needed to tighten the stock.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It sounds like a nice gun. I would build up the comb temporarily with narrow strips of moleskin not too wide and you could cover this with a Cheekeez pad. If the top lever goes to the center when the gun is open just pull it to the right again until it stays there before closing the gun. If the muzzle measures .685 you have a Full Choke.

14. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I originaly bought the gun to resell. I got a hell of a deal. Rifle cub member is selling some guns for a widow friend. Two guns left, one is a Mario Beschi trap. And a beautiful rifle made by Vern O'brien in 17-222m.
    Now I may sell the XT.

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

My TM-1 made in 1974 has .038 choke. Many of them were over .040
    choke.

16. JACK

Likely the top lever spring is weak. Get that fixed asap. If yo leave it and shoot the gun the shaft will break and that is about a $400 repair

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

If it were me, get a top lever spring and maybe a trigger spring from "Whiz" White and have them put in by a compentent gunsmith and have at it. Sounds like you have a nice gun that needs a little PM due to sitting for a while. So much the better, IMHO. I love them Perazzi's.... And I love my TM-1....

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I had one that was .042. It didn't shoot that way though.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My TM-1 Special had .729 Bore and .044 extra full choke .685 choked Bbl.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Thanks all
    Miketmx
    Mole skin worked well thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beschi trap