1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My new Superposed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todddietrich, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Hello All,

I just purchased a Belgian Superposed and would like opinions. There is a slight play in the hinge. The gun was reblued and the wood was replaced by Browning in 1983 then put away. The previous owner thought the barrels were full/full but if I understand the markings * & *- it is full/improved mod. I am into this for $1,100. How much do you think a hinge rework would run me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I don't know but it's too nice not to fix so I'd be calling Art's and Doug Braker to get an estimate. In other words, don't let any amateurs butcher your nice Browning.

-Gary

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

FWIW. I watched a Browning factory master gunsmith tighten up one of these at the Armed Forces Skeet Championships at Ent AFB in Colorado back in the early 60s. There was no charge. He placed it on an anvil and whacked it with a heavy lead mallet. Ron

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of butcher I'm talking about.

-Gary

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Art's or Midwest Gun Works are the experts when it comes to Superposed. Can't go wrong with either one.

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

You can probably shoot it for yrs without any work needed----You'll know when the action opens when you shoot it---I have one like that and it won't quit.Where is the lever when closed?---They just keep on ticking---gL---
    They are one of my favorites----George@SJB

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

DOUG BRAKER did an excellent job on my '63

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Allem can do them also----George

9. todddietrich

It looks like Art and Midwest Gun Works are only an hour drive from me. I want to run a few rounds through the old girl and see how she feels. If the wiggle is too noticable, I will get some pricing on service.

Thanks for the feedback.

regards,

Todd

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Todd, Does it "wiggle" when locked up or just when opened?

11. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Todd, All that have been suggusted can do the Work, Your Lucky to be so Close to Midwest Gun Works...They Can and Will Make your Gun NEW ...If That's what you Want. Have had them rebuild several over the years..Talk to Jason..He will get you fixed up. Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends, Bart

12. todddietrich

Bob,
    I can only feel "the wiggle" when the action is closed. It is only noticable if you try twisting the forearm while holding the stock. Maybe a few thousands of an inch, but it is there. If the weather isn't too nasty this weekend, I'll take it over to Sparta. Our practice field is the World Shooting Complex. It's 5 minutes from the house.

regards,

Todd Dietrich

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Art's, it's his specialty.

Surfer

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Nice gun, but way too red for my taste. But I'm sure that will not affect the operation.

Chuck

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Good suggestions already on here. You might also consider Skeet's Gun Shop in Talequah, OK. They did this for me and I have been very pleased with the work. I agree that the gun is too nice not to have this fixed. Martinpicker

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Todd, that sounds strange, but there shouldn't be any play in it closed for sure. There are several good suggestions of people already. Quick story on them, about 20 years or so ago I bought a pigeon brng. 12 gauge made in 1932 that was cyl/cly and the rib came loose. I sent it to Briley and they resoldered the rib and put choke tubes in. They did a very nice job with it.

17. APrice

APrice Active Member

Sounds like the play may be in the forend rather than the action. Try twisting the barrels with the action closed and the forend off.

18. todddietrich

Hello All,
    I took the son out and we shot a round of doubles and a round of trap. The play is in the hinge. The stock is a little high for both of us. The beads don't quite stack like a figure eight, enough room for another center bead. We floated the birds more than I am used too. The chokes are great, mostly ink and not many chips. We both have a tendency to take the shot fast out of the house. I will call over to Art's next week and see if they would give me a quote. I can drive over and avoid shipping.

thanks for the comments,

Todd

19. todddietrich

I dropped the Superposed off at Art's this afternoon. He is estimating a couple of weeks before it is ready. This is his busiest time of the year. He suggested a full rebuild, which is my plan too.

He pointed out a few tiny stress cracks I would never have seen, but he said they could tig them up. Apparently there are a few known weak spots to look for. If you have a Superposed Browning, look at the sides of the ejector extensions. If they give out, it ejects the spent shell,the ejector and plus be tough to find when they hit the ground.

He expects it will "feel like a new gun" when he is finished. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

regards,

Todd

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

What is the estimated cost? sjb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.