1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

my new stock for my kx5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If that is your first attempt at a project like that, you missed your calling. That looks great!

Ed

2. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

bugman -- I'm also in the middle of my first custom stock for my citori. I starting out with a pattern stock which I fitted to my hardware, sanded down and tested for fit and poi. Now it and the english walnut blank are off to Doug Carpenter for duplicating and then back to me for final fitting and finishing. I plan an oil finish and then it's back to Doug for checkering. BTW I shoot a KS-5, love it. making my own custom stock has been an adventure so far. Joe

12shottwo_2010_051126.jpg

12shottwo_2010_051127.jpg

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Looking very good! Did you do all the shaping by hand? I can't wait to see the finished product. Purpleheart is definitely "thinking outside the box". You should finish it too. Did you do a forend also?

I've done several for myself but used someone with a duplicator to do the basic shaping. I did my Ljutic 20 years ago.
    ljutic73_2008_030354.jpg

4. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Doug Carpenter told me that I should finish the stock prior to checkering, this might be because I'm doing an oil finish. You didn't say what you were doing. Anyway it took me a couple of shooting sessions to finalize the fit mainly because of the grip in my case. I just kept sanding/cutting away until it felt as good as my KS-5 grip. Joe

5. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I'm new this stuff so I don't know but I asked this specific question about checkering. Doug is dcblvsh2 here on TS, you could PM him. His gunstock business is http://www.ccgunstocks.com/. I do know he does great work and is real helpful. Looks like your making real good progress, I'll be posting here as I progress through the winter. Joe

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Finish will load the checkering. If you have it cut after finishing and then apply just enough of a non-gloss finish to the checkering, only to seal it, the final outcome will be better. Marc

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I wish I could do something half that good for my first attempt at it.
    Out standing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.