1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My new Sporting Clays project!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Back around 2000, I purchased one of the first Angleport 391's out of their shop and I figured I shot around 190,000 rounds through that gun before I moved onto another project. It was also the first gun that inspired me to install my own adjustable comb, which was a greatly needed upgrade. Anyway, I shot that gun well and like an idiot, sold every part with exception of the receiver, which was understandably all beat up (but still never missed a beat). I've tried the parallel stocks out for the last few years, but for whatever reason just couldn't shoot that set up as well as the Sporting stocked gun FOR SPORTING CLAYS.

Long story short, I had a hankering to get back to a Sporting stock and found a beautiful set from P3AT (my ol' pal Pat), but it was just too pretty to put on that ugly receiver which looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. SO, I stripped the receiver down, sand blasted it and powder coated it a flat black.
    *I am not, nor do I ever intend to be in the receiver finishing biz, this is just a personal project*

Anyway, it came out fabulous!

Sand blasted lower area first, then top:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_1985.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_1985.jpg </a>

I decided to blast the upper and lower and do the whole receiver:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=DSCN0266.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0266.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=DSCN0265.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0265.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=DSCN0264.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0264.jpg </a>

Nice wood, adjustable comb and butt plate and I'M BACK BABY!

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=DSCN0272.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0272.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=DSCN0273.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0273.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=DSCN0274.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN0274.jpg </a>

2. wdturner

wdturner Member

Very Nice!!!!

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Joe,

That's some really nice work. That gun is beautiful!

Just goes to prove that you are the Beretta auto guru of this forum.

ss

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Great looking job Tron!!!

Hap

5. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Gollee!!! That Is A Beauty. Do Not Know You But, It Is said On Here You Are A Great Gun Man. This Sure proves To ME. Joe W.

6. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

That tape really makes the gun...LOL

other than that the gun is a beaut, very nice job on the powdercoat. Looks as good as any I have seen.

Rick in MT

7. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Did kitty have a hand .........er paw in that job?

8. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Why does the stock have to be taped to the receiver?

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice work Tron even though you did tape it like a hockey stick.

10. Tron

Sptnclays, you are a Troll and you know very well that the tape is for a palm swell. Thanks for the nice commments!

Jb

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nice job.

Except for the tape.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Do you think the powder coating will hold up? Did you just use some ordinary sand blaster like a welding shop would use? Is it reasonably easy to get a uniform surface texture? I have a stainless Ultra Sporter that needs something done with it.

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Just think how nice that would be if it was a 303.

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like it. It came out nice.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The tape for the palm swell is cool, but it's a fetish. It's like buying size 38 pants when you have a 32 waist.

16. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Setterman, are you suggestion tron is used to having something much smaller in his hand?

17. Tron

Wireguy, powder coating is very tough and I've only got just over 3 flats through this gun with the current set up and it still looks like new, but I'll let you know in a few months or so. The sand blaster used was just a hand held unit with fine sand and it removed every bit of the original finish without a trace. I have a benchtop blasting unit that I got from a garage sale and I'll be setting that up within the next few weeks or so because it makes these sort of jobs so much easier.

VERY BAD303, you are also a Troll. 303's are for Women and Skeet shooters....everyone knows that.

Jb

18. Tron

Sptntroll, yeah, maybe I can't hit the bottom of a tuna can, but at least I'm an outie and not an innie.

19. gotbass

gotbass Member

303's are for Women and Skeet shooters....everyone knows that. and that's when the fight started. Tron knows better than that but is covering up his hurt feelings about what sptnclays said. If it was a 303 and looked like that it would be the cat's ass as they say. No matter who shoots them 303s are the best of the autoloaders. Mike

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Nice work.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.