1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My new SKB and how it shot today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

From the 16 yd line. Missed 4 out of 150. A couple of those misses were my reloads fault. Light powder load in a couple of shells in one box. And I just got a Seminole full choke yesterday in the mail. With reclaimed shot that's not bad. I do like that new choke. 22.5 Green Dot in STS shell with CB4118 wad. Only a handful of breaks were cheap. I vaporized 25%. 49 degrees with a 8mph cross wind. Jim

2. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I am glad to hear that you like your gun. You will most likely get many years of heavy use out of it. I have three 85TSS shotguns and they have all been great performers. I have had over forty-thousand shells through my 12 gauge and have only broken one hammer spring, which SKB repaired for free. The action is still tight. I plan on using these guns for many more years. Neil Swenson

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

22.5 grains of GreenDot in a Remmy hull? Wow.

ss

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

22.5 gr of Green Dot is either 1310fps in 1 oz, or 1250fps in 1 1/8 oz. At 16 yard targets?????

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Welcome to the World of SKB owners! I too have one; an 85 TSS Sporter 32", Up-graded adjustable wood, with Competition Seminole chokes. Beautiful gun for the $$$ - got to be the absolute Best Buy! That is a great load, but try 23gr of Unique sometime and see what you think!

AndyH ;-)

6. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

To answer Joe, the Seminole is a 3/8 extension. And, the jury is still out, but the Seminole may be a better tube. And for Sett, to answer, the 22.5 grns of Green dot would be too 'hot' using other than the cb4118 wad. Leaving now for the range. Livermore trap range is presently 43 degress. Should be a 'toasty' 48 by the time I get there. Weeeeeeee! Jim

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Apparently Jims idea of a week load is a Nitro 27 handicap shell, for singles.

Lets start a pool on how long it takes Jim to develope a nasty flinch. I figure by spring and he's just shooting in a vest and T shirt.

ss

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

xringjim, There is no load on the Alliant site with 22.5 gr Green dot and a cb4118 wad.

9. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Ya, Joe, I was using a keg of Promo at about 18 grns and reclaimed at first. Hey, they work fine. I'm now on a keg of GD and wanted to play some with it. Next will be Nitro and then a keg of Solo 1000. At 16 I'm almost a pretty solid 25 shooter. Still missing those 1 o'clock birds at times from the 1 and 2 station. Guys at my club are pushing me to shoot more at the 21 line as they see me sneaking in this coming year at the shoots and making some dough. Mr. Short, " flinch'? What? You trying to play with my head? lol I weigh 210, am 55 and in great shape via my genes and health club visits. The pad that is on that new SKB is wonderful. Softer than the Morgan pad on my m-12. Lastly, Sett, I believe I acquired the load off the Claybuster site. If any of you make it out to Livermore for a shoot, bring money. I'm at the 21 line now and improving. Jim

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Tin, Claybuster seems to think its not too much. It's probably a waste of a grain of powder each shell. It's better to find out first thing (imo) if my SKB has what it takes to get the job done. I don't want to go down the road and get into the middle of this summer without testing the limits with this gun. Either I've got a 'winner' or I don't. And smoking birds along the way sure builds confidence. Jim

11. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Well Jim, uh .. I'm OK with that, I guess. Y'all have a good day. Regards, TM

12. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I would suggest you pattern one of your 22 1/2 gr loads and compare it to a 19gr or a 19 1/2 gr load of Green Dot and see what the difference is in pattern. I belive you will see a way more even pattern out of the lower grains of Green Dot. Your 22 1/2 gr load will probably have holes in it where it is being blown apart by the added pressure/speed. That is what I found. the beav

13. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

XRINGJIM, My curiosity got the best of me and so I went looking for the load data you mentioned. Found it at claybusters. Their data does list 22.5 GD. with 4118 (windjammer type) wad.Sent me back to school. TM.

14. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

TM, glad to have been of help. Jim

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

which skb is it??

16. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I would add that those drop numbers are higher than I've seen in other published data. When in doubt, cross reference your information. TM

17. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I have a SKB 785 and have never liked a gun as much or shot one so well.

18. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

blkcloud, mine's a new 85ttr combo. Jim

19. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Sunny and warm at 60 degrees today. From the 21 yd line; shot ten rounds. Didn't run any. 4 or 5 24's. 2 or 3 23's and one 22. Gett'n there. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.