1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My New Kindle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SCL, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCL

SCL Member

My kind and loving family bought a Kindle for me for my birthday, God Love Them! I do like to read and am somewhat computer savvy, but to be honest, I'm trying to figure out things to do with it. I don't see Guns and Ammo, Field and Stream, or any NRA Publications in the Magazine section. I don't care much for reading the news, that's what the net is for. And as for books, I don't see any by Rollin or Phil Kiner. SSSOOOO!!! what's on your Kindle , please give me some interesting things to read. The Gun blog is interesting, but hardly worth my 25 seconds it takes to read daily. Thanks

Scott

2. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

Scott:

I bought a Kindle for my wife last Christmas. She is an avid reader and travels from Charlotte to NYC several times per month. It just seemed like a great way to cut the weight of lugging a heavy book. I also hoped that she would not like the technology and find it cumbersome so that in the end, I would inherit the Kindle. that did not happen. She downloads about 1 book a week and also gets several newspapers delivered daily.

She loves it and most likely would get another. I doubt that most shooting magazines don't have the circulation to garner any attention for a Kindle version. Same with Trapshooting magazines.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte,NC

3. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

I have an ipad. There aren't any shooting magazines available yet.

I have bought many books off the itunes, Amazon and Barnes & Noble (nook) accounts. Mostly mysteries and WEB Griffin. I do get the USA today and Wall Street Journal everyday. I travel every week and carrying 3 books in my bag just got to be too much to handle. Now I carry 10 books, pictures of my grandchildren, a couple of newspapers, about 100 Cd's, and I can tie into the Internet to check into TS.com.

I looked at the Kindle and thought it was neat and was ready to buy one. Then I saw the ipad and how much more it had to offer me. It was an easy decision for me.

John Semprini

4. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

If you like W.E.B. Griffin, try Vince Flynn.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Stephen Hunter, Carl Hiaasen, James W. Hall, Vince Flynn, Lee Child, should all keep you occupied, thrilled, and even read about a little shooting. Hunter is the most gun knowledgeable.

I bought my wife one for her birthday and she loves it.

6. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I've had my Kindle for 2 years now and read non-fiction. If you're a history buff like me, there are hundreds of thousand of selections to choose from.

I have several archived like D-Day [Beevor},Genghis Khan, Killing Hitler,Masters of the Air, Operation Mincemeat... I'm now reading Enigma: The Battle for the Code, just to give you some ideas.

Scott-if interested,send me an e-mail and I think that I can transfer some to your account [free for a fellow trapshooter}.You can look up any of these in Amazon.

Ned

7. Darla

Darla Member

I don't have a Kindle. I read on my phone - HTC pocketpc. Kindle was not backlit at first so I didn't even look at it. I understand it is now. I have around 1,500 full books on my phone, and I like it cause I can set the font up and read without my glasses, in bed, with the lights out. I also only have to carry one device, phone, pocketpc and bookreader in one. Try MIRC for txt and html files. There are millions.

Darla

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I go to the local library and check out books (CD's, DVD's, etc), for free. And if they don't have what I want, they will get it from another library or purchase the item. Use your money for shooting.....

9. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

If we dont read books they will slowly disappear besides that what manipulation of words and ideas from the author can be done electronically without knowledge of the reader.

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My wife and I both use a Kindle. You can also download the books from your Kindle account to your iphone. I find this useful at doctor's offices or between 100's at shoots.

Bob

11. SCL

SCL Member

So I've downloaded a few things, and I'm really starting to like this thing. I looked at the Ipad, and honestly would have liked to have done that, but my Kindle was a gift and I have a fairly new laptop so I don't fel too bad. They say that the Ipad won't multi task which seems a little weird to me, as well as not supporting some video. I think I'll wait a year or 2 before I go that route.

Scott

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

If you like dogs I suggest: The Art of Racing in the Rain:

13. Whortle

Whortle Member

New Operating system due Nov this year for the iPad supposed to support multitasking.

The video question is an apple decision, I believe, rather than technical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.