1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My New Gurl Too!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing my new gurl friend! This is Gidget, a French Brittany Spaniel that adopted me.

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=DSCF0118_Email-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=DSCF0142_Email-1resized.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=8-20Pics120Gidget7weeks-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=8-20Pics136.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=8-20Pics157.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

This lil gurl is the smartest little bird dog I've ever been owned by! I've trained English Setters, one Gordon Setter and one GSP from puppy-hood. Gidget has picked up training and tricks quicker than any in the past. Learned "come" right off the bat, sit was next on the agenda. In the last few days, she's learned to "fetch" to hand! Not a small feat for a 15 week old puppy! At first, she'd drop the bag near-by thinking that was close enough. Not close enough, she learned to pick it up again and place it in my hand to get her reward! Since the day I brought her home, my life has almost been consumed with training her to live in the home with us as a lady should. I consider it a labor of love and I'm looking forward to many great days afield with my lil darlin. Hope Y'all enjoy seeing her as many of you are dog lovers also. I want to thank my great friend Tom Strunk for introducing me to this great breed of dogs too! He also has three of the best to be had for Arizona quail hunting. Thanks my friend!

Hap

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

nothing better Hap. She is a cutie

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very Cute!..and well nourished too...cuz shes growin' like a weed!

4. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Gidget's a real nice looking pup Hap. Thanks for the pics :)

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Hap,,she's beautiful,,

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Fantastic Hap have fun as she teaches you what you need to learn LOL. She is cute as they get have fun and enjoy the puppy stage

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words Hap. You have a super breed for Arizona quail, as the guys at the Arizona Quail Derby found out.

Hope my next knee operation in three weeks goes smooth so I can be hunting with Gidget and Mike McNeeley's pup ( Gidgets litter mate ) Looks like a excellent quail year here in Arizona.

Tom Strunk

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I hope her body has kept up with her ears! Nice looking pup there Hap. Be patient and consistant. Your Fall adventures will be interesting.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

She is gorgeous Hap!! I'm sure you'll have many years of great pleasure with her. My male orange and white, not French, turned 14 last month and is still a constant source of fun. He loves New Brunswick, but I never got him to AZ, one of my many regrets of things "I should have done." I wish you many years of happiness with her. She sure looks special. Bob

10. Hap MecTweaks

To all you guys that have encouraging words, I thank you!

Bruce, what you said is very true! I've learned a lot about bird hunting and dogs themselves with every one of my bird dogs over the years.

Shootlow, if your serious about one of these F.B. pups, contact Tom, he's always got his eyes and ears open and knows good dogs! You can take his word to the bank on anything! I know these little dogs would do just great on Kansas ringnecks and Bobwhites too!

Dove C. and Bob Hawks, if you guys ever get the chance to visit AZ, look up Tom and I for some clay shooting or some of the best quail hunting you've ever experienced! I'm kinda new at this desert quail hunting but Tom has vast experience and knowledge. He and his buddy Jimmy has won or placed in the AZ quail derby regularly! Quite a feat considering the competition! Tom's no slouch when it comes to trap either, he's number 50 on the list of grand slams in trap! Thanks again guys, I appreciate all your kind words, coming from other dog lovers makes them special. Hap

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are very fortunate to be adopted by a dog of this quality. Her eyes tell me that she is very curious, should be a delight on the birds.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Hap, thats a darn fine looking pup there :) I have never been a Brit fan (ouch you guys) but one like that could change my thinken. I hope you have many enjoyable years with her.

13. beaker100

beaker100 Member

you can see how smart she is by the way she will look right at you ( the camera)

any time in life spent with a puppy dosen't come off your lifespan. enjoy!

14. dws

dws TS Member

Hap,

Good Move... She looks like a keeper !

You will have to bring her around to Garden Canyon

Dennis

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hey Dennis! I most certainly will my friend! First, I want to make absolute sure she's conditioned to gunfire prior though.

Thanks Martin, this is also my first Brittany. If her training smarts and quickness to grasp it is any indicator at all, she'll be a dandy and a pleasure to work with in the field! I'd originally thought of getting another Gordon Setter pup, possibly one from Norm Sorby of Petuluma,CA but after watching how birdy Tom's F.Bs. were, I really liked what I saw. A vet at Stanford U. vet school told me the Gordon Setters have larger scent glands in their nose than other bird dog breeds. I was thinking that might come in handy for desert quail due to the varying scenting conditions here from hot/dry to ideal.

Thanks for looking guys, I love my lil gurl and look forward to many pleasurable years at home and afield with her. Hap

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

She's really cute. I'm sure she will give you lots of joy.

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Wow, Hap. What a beauty! I had to put my beloved Lab Betty down due to cancer. I have been leaning towards a French Brittany for a while. I think that your little doll just made up my mind!

18. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Hap, that puppy looks like she give you a run for all you got.

Tom and you are quite a team, now add the mutts and you two will by unbeatable.

The rookie, Richard Luckett

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Hap: We may disagree on many things but dogs is not one of them. I have 2 orange/white brits, my 13 yr old has been given 6 months by the vet. and I am considering a French brit when and if I replace him. Enjoy your new friend and the years of pleasure you will give each other.

Don

20. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Wow Hap neat pup, I wish I had one just like it. No wait-- I do! SE AZ's quail population soon to be endangered species. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

norm sorby gordon setter