1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My new Blaser F3 Handicap Bbl Pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Here is the pattern of my new Blaser F3 Unsingle Handicap Bbl It is shooting 120% Pattern, pattern board was set at 38 1/2 yards, my pattern is a 19" inch pattern w/Federal Paper Handicap 7 1/2 shells, Pattern is 19"inches high.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
    drlongshot_2008_030315.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030316.jpg

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I must say you are lucky, Gary.

You sell the tightest-patterning gun in the world, a CG, and the one you buy is the second-tightest-patterning gun in the world.

How do you do it?

Neil

3. TjayE

TjayE Member

Very tight pattern from 38.5 yards. Looks like the doctor is ready for the 30 yard line.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I do not see any holes in that pattern. Is that two shots? Jon

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Oh man... Flyn is one smart dude.

6. Neil Winston

No, that wouldn't account for the unusually small diameter of the pattern. That's the odd thing . . .

Neil

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Gary, how old is your yardage measuring device?

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

From the looks of it, the actual center of the pattern is about a few inches to the left and a few inches lower from where he has the "center" marked.

But the guys are right, that looks awfully tight for 38.5 yards. What constriction is the choke?

Bryan

*edit* Oh by the way barrel is spelled with one "L".

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Jack,

Only reason I asked, is because I count 791 bb's. That is alot of BB's from a single 7 1/2 loaded shell. Just asking. Jon

Update: It is 784. I must have counted some twice.

10. Dr.Longshot

There were 3 shells shot for pattern, just as the factory does, this gives a better look and takes in the account for flyers and pattern density.

I use a 100 ft tape measure to get yardage correct, that is 115ft.6 inches.

That is a factory full choke tube, as the sheet shows in the bottom right corner.

There was a slight cross wind from left to right.

But shooting it tonight on buddy shoots using 444 grains of # 7.5 shot and 20 grains of promo, in a STS hull w/WT-12 Orange wad, Rio Primer ink balls targets.

I will say this about the choke tubes on the Caesar Guerini and the Blaser they are long choke tubes and factory knows by patterning their chokes and bore diameters for exacting specs, thru trial and error.

If anyone doubts patterns try some yourself w/your gun using your full choke tube/ or full choke Bbl and see your results.

I always use a full choke from Handicap yardages, just like Frank Little.

The reason I used New Federal Paper Handicap Shells is that was the new shells I had.

New Nitro-27s patterned the same.

I have shot so many patterns over the years these patterns do not suprise me.

The era of 30 inch patterns is the old way. With new shells, plastic wads instead of fiber inserts and wrappers, performance has changed.

I wish we had some warm days so I can shoot it more and get myself dialed in again, with a Bbl that shoots where I want it to shoot.

Great thanks to Norbert of Blaser USA for his expertise.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Dr.Longshot

I also have a new Blaser X-Full Choke tube I want to try patterning my 444 Grains of #7.5 Shot w/20 grs of Promo, Orange WT-12 Wad, Remington STS hull w/Rio Primer.

I will try to pattern that load Saturday Morning if not to windy.

I use an Real Estate Frame using #10 Solid Copper Wire pierced through the cardboard, pattern paper is wrapping paper reversed so I have a White
    Background.

I shoot off the porch using railing with a beach towel folded up to rest the gun on, and I wear my shooting glasses, and I am seated in a lawn chair.

I am fortunate to have a very deep lot to pattern my shotguns.

I fire 3 shots at the pattern board for pattern purposes.

But I look at the pattern after the first shot with binoculars so I can tell the pattern density, then 2 more shots so I have a good sample of pattern

Norbert @ Blaser told me they pattern at 30 yards. And their sight picture is a figure 8 w/beads held under the round dot as a trapshooter holds bead under the target when he shoots.

He also said they did this at Kreighoff when he worked for them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Dr.Longshot

I patterned the Blaser F-3 Un=single Bbl with 2 EX-FULL tubes using my reload at 38 1/2 yds w/ my 1 oz reloads consisting of 444 grains of #7.5 shot, using 20 grains Promo Powder, w/ Orange WT-12 wad/w Rio Primer loaded in Remington STS hull.

The 2 full choke tubes were a little different, I preferred #2 pattern.

The XTRA-FULL TUBES patterned a little bit higher than the full choke tube.

I did get 100% of the pattern in a 26"inch circle, but effective pattern is approx 18 1/2 "inches.
    drlongshot_2008_030317.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030318.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030319.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030320.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030321.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030322.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030323.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030324.jpg

13. Dr.Longshot

Shells will give different patterns as it is not a rifle, it gives you a mental picture for your mind in helping you shoot better scores.

I did not use pellet counts as I shot 3 shells at each pattern tested.

There was a difference between the 2 EXTRA-FULL TUBES. I want to borrow a bore mic and check my bore and the Choke tube configurations.

I have MOD- IMP MOD-FULL- XTRA_FULL
    2 2 2 2 2 choke tubes of each.

It was 32 degrees shooting last night and there was a crowd, we shot 2 man and 3 man buddies all night.

We have a 5 from the pole shoot at end of buddies and twice a lady won that event this month.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The one thing I don't understand here here is,was there 3 shots fired at the same pattern target without changing it? Is there anyone out there that shoots that gets to fire 3 shots at each registered target. To account for flyers & pattern density. I have been shooting patterns for over 40 yrs & I have has always shot 1 shot per pattern. I guess it is because I only get 1 shot at each target.

15. Dr.Longshot

RunGunIPSC I guess you did not read the posts for information, maybe you ought to contact Kreighoff and Blaser yourself to find out the reason for firing 3 shots at same pattern paper.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

many people rip on dr. longshot but this post has good info. r.j.m.

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I'm guessing you shoot off the right shoulder and were shooting off hand. Am I right?

18. Dr.Longshot

RASTOFF YOU ARE VERY INCORRECT, YOU DID NOT READ THE POST.

GB
    DLS

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What color socks were you wearing? HMB

20. Neil Winston

Why do manufacturers take three shots at a pattern paper, Gary? That's easy. They want happy customers. Any real pattern shot with 7 1/2's at 40 yards is going to have bird-escape holes in it, some likely to be pretty close to the point of aim. They all look pretty bad, in fact.

The last thing they want is a customer thinking "Damn, I just spent as much on this gun as most people do on a car and it throws patterns that look like Swiss cheese. Everybody on TS.com has guns which produce totally even patterns and this one is blotchy, holey, and, as anyone can see, not much good."

The solution is to take three shots. You get patterns a moth couldn't flutter through and the customer is happy. Of course, you have robbed him of any information the pattern might have given him but since it's only one, that's really no loss at all. Dream up a little patter to riff through as you unfold the paper "You know, Ed, I've seen hundreds of patterns as they come through here with the new guns and I gotta say, I've never seen one as good as this. You really lucked out on this one! If you ever want to sell it, you call me first, OK?" and you have a contented buyer.

You have to keep notes, of course, since you can't do that twice so next year when you get him to buy some gun with a rib about a foot high and a foot long you have to prepare a variant: "Ed, you remember how impressed I was with the patterns from your old-style gun, the one you used to shoot? I'll tell you the truth- I think this one is even better!"

But for an owner to do that makes no sense to me. While in the commercial situation it's a bit of deal-sealing malarkey, where everyone knows the rules, for the owner to do it is willful self-deception and if he wants that, why do the test at all, why not just make it all up?

As any solvent gambler will tell you, it _does not_ "average things out." There is no law of averages as it is conventionally thought of. If you shoot too far to the left, there is no magical statistical rubber band which will tend to make the next shot more to the right. All someone who does this is doing is depriving himself of the information a pattern can give him. Usually, it's not information he needs, but if he is to do the work, why not get the payoff?

Neil

©2011 NMW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

blaser f3 for handicaps

blasor photos new pattron

patterning optima bore