1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My new bags of #8 shot was mixxed 7-9s

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plott hound, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

Just got a new batch of shot that was mixxed . They mic from .104 to.078. So #7 to #9s. Loaded 3 bags before I figured it out. Now all my hulls are full and wonder what shooting this crap will be like ? Will they string out more and leave holes in pattern or be fine or what ? Don

2. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Are you sure that you didn't get some reclaim? Is it all round?

3. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

No not reclaimed. It is northwest magnum shot. ALL round. Just got off phone with guy that we got it from and he said it wont matter one bit. Shoot it or bring it back. Problem is we are a LONG ways away. What to do what to do

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Don, some people do that on purpose. It will work fine for singles and doubles. For caps I'd use the good stuff.

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Some times shot manufactors mix diffrent sizes to get the shot count correct. You probably won't tell the diffence except when reloading some times the smaller shot when mixed with larger shot will jamb up in the shot drop tube on some reloaders. It happens on occation with NW. I use it for singles and doubles and practice. I have used it for long yardage and to be truthfull I couldn't tell the diffrence in my scores. It is still good shot and better priced than most. Post-2

6. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

Wonder why they even labled it #8. Should just have said mix. I would have to say MOST are 7s and 7.5s. Found one out of 35-40 that was an 8.

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I think round is more important than size. I have broken trap targets from the 27 with 1/2 ounce of #9s out of a .410 gauge. I can easily break more than 20 singles targets with that same gun/load. Gun will also break the second doubles target. So it is not shot size that really matters.

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shoot it at singles.

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

What's the problem?

The SAAMI standards permit up to one size variance either side so you got exactly what you were supposed to get - #8 shot with the permitted standard deviation.

Unless you have a manufacturer that is screening their shot for just ONE size then I'm afraid all the shot you buy will have significant size differences. Mixed 7.5, 8 and 9's is what you should expect when you buy a bag os 8's.

Now, I shoot a lot of Northwest shot and it's very good shot so I don't think pointing fingers at Northwest is helpful, nor is calling their product crap. The question is does having all your shot being of equal size make any difference in your ballistic performance.

We just had a lengthy discussion of this very subject over on SGW. The prevailing opinion (no ballistic evidence) was that as long as the shot patterned well then you should be fine. the shot string will be longer but it was ALWAYS longer - you just didn't know it.

That being said - I get my shot from a guy who makes his own and he screens it for size uniformity - one size per bag. I can tell you that since i've been using the uniform homemade shot that my scores have improved a hair and the breaks are impressive - way more impressive than factory shot. maybe it's my shooting but i've never hit targets this hard before.

Anyway, go ahead and shoot it, you will be fine.

10. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I Like mixed shot sizes in the same shell, We've had this thread on here before of weather mixing shot helps or makes things worse. I think It helps the smaller shot fills in the holes the bigger shot leaves. I know some will disagree with me but there was an article in shotgun sports were the author was in favor of it and Remington makes the Duplex shell and I'm sure they did'nt do It without studying It before.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'll take all of your 7's, I've never seen any before. Now find a skeeter to take your 9s and yer in business.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Rest assured, you will miss more targets than your patterns will.

13. southpark

southpark TS Member

ATA and maybe your club doesn't allow 7's?

14. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have some #6 mixed with #8. 1 1/4 oz of the stuff cruses targets back to 50 yards behind the traphouse. Yes, I mixed the two sizes on accident. Oh well :)

Forrest

15. furface

furface Member

I also bought some Northwest Magnum shot #8, it is three sizes runs from 7.5 to 9's. Averaged 8.5 and weighed in about 2% antm. But like the man said, 16yd targets won't know the difference. Best part about it the price was ok,$20. We used to by reclaimed in gallon jugs, all dented and different sized couldn't tell any difference up close except for the price. I shoot Westcoast hard 8s on caps, closer tolerence and 6% alloy. Good luck, Joe

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Plott Hound- What you discovered is not too uncommon with all brands of shot. Some lots have much more variation than others. The label on the outside of the bag sometimes does not match the size of the shot inside the bag.

The situation becomes a little humerus when some discuss the differences between #7.5 and #8 shot when they actually may not even know what size shot they have been shooting.

Pat Ireland

17. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have shot about 2 ton of North West Magnum shot. I have found that they normally error on the large size. I have miked several hundred No. 8 and no. 8 1/2 and find that the eights ave .093 and the 8 1/2 ave. .089 thousands. This makes the shot slightly larger. I also have found that the antimony is about 3 to 4 %. I use it in every thing and have made money in the last three handicaps I shot with it. Send it to me, I will pay the postage. LOL RG

18. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

I plan on givving the shot a shot as soon as my gun gets back from Phillips gunsmithing. And dont know if I was clear about the mix. It is not #8 with some mix in it..ALL is mix. Less than 10% is #8 would be about correct. Took apart some bad loads last night and found a few near BB size . Will mic them at work tomorrow. Thanks for the kind offers to get rid of my problem shot. Im sure my kids wife and I should make short work of it. LOL
    (the ones I measured today were.118 ,.115 , and .067)

19. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

now why would anyone they hunts plott care of what size shot they get in a bag, they dont care if all they can afford is a plott instead of a nice pedigreed walker.

20. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

Ok Ok I will shoot em and shut up. But that walker thing really hurts !! Up in Idaho in the nasty brush holes we have bears that dont hit the first tree they run past. We always throw a white dog in so we can spot the BACK of the bay up. Slooshing a nasty bruin in a wad of plotts is the shit !Must do item in life if you have the gonads. And I have owned plenty of walkers. The black ones just happened to be the ones that I ended up with. Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.