1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MY NEIGHBOR HAS NEW DRIVEWAY, MY BASEMENT LEAKS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have lived in my present house since 1976. I have never had my basement flood with water until my new neighbor put in a new driveway last year. The slant of his driveway is very noticeable towards my property. I have added dirt to build up my property and slanted it back to his. He also has some ugly tree with whirley birds that come down and clog up my gutters constantly. Every time it rains we have a mess in my finished basement. I don't want to start a war with a neighbor but the cost and time of cleaning up is unreal. any suggestions on what I can do to stop the basement leak. From where his drive ends, my basement is 6 feet from his driveway.
    Steve Balistreri

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Did he have a permit to put in the new driveway. Was it inspected by the county, or township.

3. senior smoke

b12:
    Don't really know. All I can tell you is the slant of the driveway is more towards my property than what it use to be. You can see the excessive slant with the naked eye. The people who did the new driveway did not have advertising on their vehicles, but I know the name of the cement company who delivered the cement. I am in a bad position as one of the owners work with my wife. I would like to see if there is anyway I can fix this basement leak myself without major problems with our neighbors and my wife's co-worker.
    Steve

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If he had a concrete driveway before putting in a new one should not change much. Most cities do not require a permit for flat work. Some drives have a built in gutter or curb to chanel the water toward the road. Basments don't leak untill they do. You could do some stone and tile work and make sure you have long extentions on your downspouts.

Instead of crying about cleaning your gutters install a gutter guard system.

Call out a basment waterproofing company for some advise, proposals are usually free.

5. 10gaugeman

10gaugeman Member

Don't know what state your from but in Minnesota there is a law against this. My mother-in-law lived threw this. Dry basement for 50+ years, neighbors new driveway caused constant wet basement. She made a call to the city building inspectors office asking what she could do and they took care of the rest. Neighbor was told to repair it or show up in court. They built a curb to divert water into the street. Neighbor didn't like it but understood. Good luck.

Mark

6. senior smoke

Thanks for some good advice. I live in Wauwatosa Wisconsin, as suburb of Milwaukee. In my area we got 4 inches of rain. I have had it leak with 1 or 2 inches of rain too since his new driveway was put in. Once things dry up I will call a water proofing company and see what they say. The neighbor is one of the supervisors where my wife works. As you can see I'm between a rock and a hard place.
    Steve

7. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Ask in a civil manner to have his d-way sloped towards his house and not yours. Or have your wife simply say to him at work that because of the wrong slope you are now having h2o issues and that something needs to be done asap.Step #2 is to get agressive and tell him what needs to be done. You can bet your wallet that HE wouldn't stand for it. The hell with him-it's his mistake--he KNOWS it and is laughing at you inside. Stand tall and get it done or call me and I'll call him!!! 781-910-0313.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Not sure how your area labels the problem but in Penna, it is illegal to divert water to a neighbors property. His driveway must be corrected or he could be held responsible for all further damage. Involve you local building inspectors.

Big Jack

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Our daughter and son-in-law built a new home on a mountain overlook about 7 years ago. We built next door to them about 4 years ago. We had water draining down on their front yard as our home sits higher on the mountain brow. We put in a shallow contoured drainage ditch the length of our property where the drainage problem started to about 50 feet below our homes. The ditch is fabric lined to keep down weeds and initially hold the dirt bottom in place. Brought in 3" creek rock (10 tons) and put rock all the way down the ditch. Looks great and more than handled the problem. Water out of the ditch then flows over our 3 acres below our house and disperses.

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,as much as you hate to do it,maybe you should expain what has happened to your neighbor.Being not aware of it he still thinks everythings ok.Check with borough or township where you live.As a former zoning officier I know in our township, you are responsible for your water runoff.If he doesn't want to listen,go to the bourough or township with your problem.Explain what has happened,any responsible borough or township will require him to fix the water run off problem.

Doug H.

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As far as the tree with the whirly birds (probably a silver maple), just get yourself a copper 16 or 20 penny nail and drive it into the tree. It'll be dead next year!!

Curt

12. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

In VA a neighbor of ours had the house next to him do something similar with lot drainage. It caused a problem with our neighbor and eventually the guy had to re-route his drainage. City got involved, came out and reviewed the situation, etc.

13. senior smoke

Grnberetcj:
    Are you serious? I have hated that tree since 1976. We had a freak snowstorm here in MIlwaukee in May one year. The snow was so heavy with water content that it snapped a lot of trees. The tree in question lost almost one whole side of it in that storm and the neighbor won't cut it down. I even offered to pay half to cut it down and he likes it. Most of the branches hang over my roof now and also cause lots of problems. If he was not a supervisor where my wife works I would handle things differently. He will be going on vacation next week and I will drive a few nails in that stinking tree.
    Steve

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Everywhere I've lived has the owner of property that drains onto another is responsible for any damage created by that situation. I'd not hesitate for a minute to calmly and and in a straightforward manner explain the situation to your neighbor. I'd make it clear that if he can't stop the draining onto your property, you'd be forced to bring in the city or whatever into the discussion. Any driveway should have water drained toward the street or proper drainage system.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Any limbs or branches that are over your property are yours to do as you please. That is not your problem, your wife's employer is the problem.

I had to dig a 4 ft deep trench beside the house (friend with back hoe) out to the street.Then lined trench on the house side and bottom with a rubber membrane & back filled with 8" of gravel, then a plastic 4" pipe with 1/2" holes, more large gravel, and a little soil and sod.

I am still amazed at the amount of water that pours out of that pipe with a good hard rain.

This works fine but also cost $2,100.00+ in 2001.

There are a lot of things you can do to get even but few to remedy the problem.

16. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

In Michigan, at least in the Country you must deal with the water if your neighbor changes the slope.
    Maybe you can see if you can add some sort of very shallow cement ditch (to his drive) say a foot wide and in a way so its going to collect the water and run it to the street. Maybe if he knew there was an issue, he would work with you on this.
    Try being a good neighbor first.

17. buster45

buster45 Active Member

You will find it is not legal to divert the natural flow of water on to anothers property,if I am not mistaken this is a federal law.

You can also install a french drain to help the problem,one of the other post semi hit on it with the rubber pipe with holes.That will probably be the easiest.

You are in a tough spot with the neighbor boss situation.

Do they know you are having a runoff water problem after the drive installation?

If they contracted this out which I am almost sure they did,it is probably the contractors mistake.If you and your neighbor talk about this and get his contractor out there maybe all of this could be solved without any hard feelings.From what I have read here it is probably the contractor who has the liability unless the neighbor instructed him to slope it towards you.

The contractor can install a french drain a lot cheaper than redoing the driveway.

You are also affected in another way if you sell this property you will have to disclose the flooding problem or be responsible for not disclosing.When you disclose this you will need to show remedy when and how it was repaired,as you can see it is very important to solve this problem now before it gets out of hand.

Buster

18. senior smoke

Well I had a talk with my neighbor while we had a beer. Showed him my basement along with wet rugs etc. Told him I don't blame him as he did not do the job. He is going to call the people who did the job to come out and see if anything can be done, short of redoing three new slabs. He asked me why I didn't tell him earlier? I said with you being a supervisor where my wife works it makes it very awkward. He assured me that this will not affect my wife in anyway on her job. I also pulled out a ladder showed him how his tree fills up my gutters on a weekly basis. He said he will have the tree trimmed back so it doesn't go on my property. So far, so good. I have to see what the company suggest. He said he likes living in our neighborhood and he will make this right. I asked that he keep me informed of the situation. Told him I obviously want him to spend as lttle as possible along as it corrects the situation. Thanks for all your advice.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you slope a new poured driveway towards your neighbors property
contractor pitched neighbors driveway towards my home

flooding in basement after house built next door

how do i stop water from from my driveway from leaking into my basement
is it common to get water in basement after a new driveway is poured
neighbor pitches water to house

neighbors new driveway drains on my lawn

new construction next door is causing water in our basement