1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My neck pain

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For those that have noticed, I have been experiencing severe/chronic bouts of neck pain off and on over the past 2-3 months. to the extent that I have been totally incapacitated at times and for 2 and 3 day intervals. The Spine doctor gave me steroids and they worked, but the drug hangover was hard to deal with. Now I have found the answer.

I have numerous problems that are creating muscle spasms in my back/neck but no major issues that need to be dealt with. I have congenital broken # 1 vertebrae, 2 fused vertebrae, no disc in one place, paper thin in another. But no pinched nerves or bone spurs, chips or anything that might require surgery. At the end of the session I asked him what can I do about the reoccurring pain other than the steroids that worked but left me feeling drug hung over. Adn he recommended I take Aleve and told me how to get the best results. He explained that when you begin a Naproxen (Aleve) regimen you receive about 1/3 of the potential effectiveness for the first day, about the same the second day and on the 3rd day the effectiveness spikes upward to 100%. So the first and second days you receive some but minimal effectiveness and then on the 3rd day it jumps to 100%. Adn stays at that level as long as you keep up taking the Aleve as recommended on the package/bottle. The spine doc did advise me not to mix and match Aleve with other pain meds. i.e. Advil, Tylenol, and or aspirin.

I have experimented with it some now over the past 10 days and find that if I skip a day the neck and body aches and pains resume after or about 36 hours. Too, I have found that just one Aleve per day seems to keep me feeling better than I have for a long time. Years perhaps. So now I am on one a day and take that in the AM. I am not taking generic Naproxen as yet. Just Aleve.

You may find this website helpful. http://www.drugs.com/dosage/naproxen.html

If you take Aleve, take it as recommended on the bottle.

Virtually all my usual aches and pains have pretty much ceased.

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Jack : I have always had a bad neck from an accident long ago. The only thing that has really helped and nearly gotten rid of the problem is a stretching program. Ask your doctor to send you to a "good" rehab clinic. Another note would be to start out twice as slow as the rehab advises. Rehab doctors can be to aggressive. Only fifteen minutes a day for a neck stretch is not much time taken.

I'm supprised your doctor did not advise it?

CM

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

My father had face and neck pain also. We after a number of doc's, finally took him to a Acupuncture( Needle doc). It helped him in time and it worked. You might want to find one in your area. Hope you feel better soon.

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Nothing more painful than the pain from some type of spinal problem.

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

Have to admit,I also thought it might be spousal related,companion,pet,etc.

Doug H.

6. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check your PMs.

Larry

7. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

New medical info out today: Doctors had stoped using NSAID drugs (Like Aleve)after all the fear over Vioxx and Celebrex and started writing more narcotics (Hydrocodone). Now they are finding more falls and broken bones. I'm glad you are doing well on such a simple treatment. AJ

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Always ask to see the "side effects" sheets on any drug your taken.

Everyone reacts differently.

Those good ole NSAID drugs you will find attack your liver!

Your pharmacist is the best place to get the information, a lot of doctor's have stock options in the drug company's and don't like being questioned.

just speaking from experience.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

I suspect Aleve is the least of what's attacking Jack's liver.

Thanks for the tip though!

10. JACK

A FYI. I'm old. So old, when I injured my leg at age 8-1/2 and walked on crutches for 5 years, they referred to me as a "cripple". I did find some relief from the degenerative hip disorder from about 15 to 25. But then the pain was chronic and excruciating. I took 20 plus aspirin a day, just to get thru the day. Then Ibuprofen (Advil) became available and they did not know that it ate up the stomach and digestive tract. I took 750mg 4 times a day. It worked pretty well. Then about 6 years of that stuff, I finally got a hip replacement and was done with drugs. More recently I have been taking Ibuprofen for shoulder problems. But just normal doses. So, I should have liver and digestive tract problems, but I do not. All those functions are normal. And my fave medication up to this new Aleve remedy has been Ibuprofen with a wine wash. Verks Ollie.

But this one a day Aleve thing is my ticket to stardom. I did shoot this weekend and could not hit a singles target, but was breaking about 90% of my handicap birds. I did win a jackpot lewis class with a 41 or 42.

Another FYI. I do get annual physicals, blood work, etc.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Great to hear Jack! I'vebeen dealing with nerve and muscle issues in my back since a ferocious bout of shingles...tired of how the stuff Neurontin makes me feel ...will try the Naproxen thing for a bit just to see if it helps

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Well-Known Member

Jack,

What strength Aleve did or are you taking?

Rollin

13. JACK

Rollin. I am taking the 220 mg. One (1) per day. Began with 2 pills on the first morning with breakfast. Felt good but edgy by 11 AM. Took another at dinner time. one pill the next morning at breakfast, one at dinner and was pretty good all day. had lost the jitters tho on the second day. On the 3rd day, I took one pill in the AM and one at dinner and was better than I have been pain wise in the last 12 years. I then decided to experiment and ceased all Aleve pills. 36 hours later I was experiencing neck discomfort at night trying to sleep. I got up, had a small meal, took one aleve and since take one pill a day and am not looking back.I am certain now, that I will still have some additional years on this rugged river bluff I live on.

14. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Well-Known Member

Thank you Jack.

Are you taking Aleve tablets or the "liquid gels"?

Rollin

15. JACK

Blue tablets.Sometimes one a day is not enough. Still learning about that. I think I will switch to one every 18 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.