1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My MX15 project, ready to roll

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bought this pretty little gun. Wanted a MX2000 for winter nad next season. But this showed up and it is a honey...

[​IMG]

But I canted the stock and when I got that adjusted, I shot the gun left. So I looked thru my closets and came up with this Joe Miller stock and it fit excetp just a bit low.

[​IMG]

So, I had Doug Braker make it comb adj and had him do a professional pad job...

[​IMG]

And now it is ready to rock and roll. Easy fit now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lewddt10

lewddt10 TS Member

Nice looking MX15 Jack. Good luck with your MX15 project. Shoot well!
    Jeff and Kelly

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wow Jack---You wasn't kidd'n when you said you said the MX15 you were working on was turning out good. Looks like Doug did some excellent work for you as well. Now the big question---can you hit anything with it???-----Matt

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Jack,

Wow! That is a nice looking MX15! Congrats on getting a beautiful gun. I will always have a love affair with the MX15's, that is what I ran my first 100 straight with.

Take care, Matt Woodson

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jack..... As usual, you have a very nice piece here. I had a love affair going on with an MX-15 for about 2 years. Loved the gun! Looked great! Briley barrels bored .740" with Briley thin walls! Clyde Slyde! Nickled receiver and forend iron! Precision double release trigger! Old style, step ribbed MX-8 32" O/U barrel fitted to receiver! Never broke higher that a 98 in singles with it! Never broke higher than a 91 in handicaps with it! Highest score in doubles was a 95! Just couldn't get the hang of shooting an unsingle. I fought that gun from day one! That dang gun felt better than just about any gun I ever shot. Traded it for my DB-81 Combo, and now have several 100's in 16's, several scores over 95 in caps, and several doubles scores in the 97-98 range. While the DB-81 still has the higher rib, it seems to be closer to the barrel and I am not always fighting the gun trying to aquire the proper sight picture. Hope your experience is better than mine...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. JACK

Dan. I fight the crossfire...

Kiner told me it was hopeless. That I cross fired on every shot. I agreed with him when I saw the video. He advised me to saty wiht low rib guns. OK, but then I was out of action on my MX3 (I forget why) and borrowed my daughters TMX. Adn shot it as well with lesser crossfires so that is when I began to seriously look at higher rib guns again. I picked up this gun and shot it well right off the bat, but canted the gun sufficiently to know that it would let me down at handicap. When I worked the cant ouut of the gun I leaked it as I made my move to the target and shot it left by about 10". So, that is when I dug thru the box and came up wiht the stock yo see on the gun now. This is a 90s stock and virtually the same unit that is on my MX3. Both are cast off form the factory and I do just fall into this stock without any body adjustments.

BTW. I have seen Eric Munson shoot several times but from a distance. This last weeknd I saw him shoot from the bench behind the trap as he shot singles and learned somethng that I had never noticed before. Adn that is that he becomes corkscrew like in appearance with the front of the gun sticking out forward just a bit more than the buttstock goes to the rear. He unhinges his shoulder some adn seems to crawl the stock. But that is not what he is doing. He is becoming one with his gun afixed to his body. Contrary to the common tendency today whereby a guy stands upright wiht his face upright and parked on the comb so that his face is90 degrees to the gun and facing the trap/target looking directly ahead. The substance of this is that Eric was able to make a short twist move to the target. I will work on that some and see if there is any adaptation to my game. Again, it jus tmay rid me of the crossfire. I am still crossfiring about 10% of the time and hitting some of those targets anyway. When I crossfire, the bbl just disappears from my sight picture, but because I shoot a release the gun goes off and often hits the target on the fringe of the pattern. I wanted to write Eric and ask him about his style but do not know his sign-on here on TS. I have seen his posts occasionally, but do nto recall his handle. Maybe he'll see this and comment.Regardless, I'll get an opportunity at some point to ask him how this technique of his evolved. He has very good gun handling skills too. He loads and closes his gun and moves the butt pad to his shoulder point with the muzzle pointed to the ground and mostly rests til lhis turn to shoot. Then he tips the gun up to where the comb touches his cheek and then unhinges his soulder and moves his face ont the gun. Very interesting and it has some real merit. I would have gotten pics of him but forgot my camera (hard to believe I know). If I see him shoot again, I'll capture it on film. Scot Gens is another that I want to capture. he is smooth as silk. Another fellow I shot with early this summer was Dave Vice and Dave had an expression he used to describe how his gun handling evolved. That expression is "Wasted motion is Wasted motion" He has none. Just plain smooth. He broke 96 that day from 27. That was the last time I shot ATA this season as the crossfire had me all messed up. Btu I am gaining on it now. Sorry about being so windy. I jsut thought you and some others might like to hear my description of shooting, good or bad and more than just about me.

Jack

7. JACK

Cactus. I collect good perazzi and 1100 parts. By that I mean that some stuff never gets sold, even tho I buy an sell guns and including personal guns. But some stuff never leaves me. Good stocks are like that, as are good release triggers. I know that if I have those two items I can buy any Perazzi gun and in the blink of an eye be shooting it rather than sending it off for warranty work to Doug Braker. The stock that came of fthis gun is necessary to keep around in order to move this one down the road when its time with me is done. My MX3 is my crutch tho... NOt going anywhere. It has a keeper stock and trigger in it. I have the spares to send it down the road tho when and if I do. But not th estock and trigger. But if you watch me on TS.com, I am always upgrading triggers and stocks.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.