1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My mother

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am at my mother's condo and her pilot light is on when she turns on her fireplace, but it will not ignite. Any suggestions on what I need to check?

Also, my mother's sister owns a home that was built in 1938, as it still has fuses in the home. I looked at a blown fuse and it looks different than a modern day fuse.

On the very tip it has the #20 on it so I replaced it with a TL20 fuse and it blew immediately. She had over 8 lamps on in that particular room so I unplugged all but two of them.

The TL20 fuse now works. I asked her why she needs all these lamps and she said it's hard for her to see in low light as she is 94 years old.

My question is, why does her new fuse blow with all these lamps on when that's the way she has lived for years, why did they start blowing the TL20 fuse now and not before?
    Steve Balistreri

2. KooJo

KooJo Member

Steve it's time for you to go back to work full or part time I almost retire last month. Now it will be 2 to 4 years and I should be retire now. Get a job now.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve ignore the riff raff, but Eddie gave you some good info, appearantly there is way too much load on the circuit, but if the wiring is that old it could be a fire hazard, as the old insulation will degrade and short out

On the fire place it is possible that you might need to turn the dial to Pilot with the pilot lit and push the know down toward the valve, some of the old units the pilot would stay lit even if the pilot safety circuit drops out, or it could be a bad thermocouple, they are generally universal and you and pick one up at a hardware store for a few bucks and change it, they are pretty easy to change

If the unit isn't super old there is a little electromagnet that is held open by the millivoltage created but the thermocouple

Just a couple shots in the dark

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

8 lamps should not blow a fuse.As sugestted,get a qualified electrician to test your circuit.A house that old probably has cloth wrapped wire,easy for a mouse or rat to chew through causing a short.

Doug H.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Those fuses blow now because someone took the penny out.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

8 lamps with big enough or multiple bulbs could pull quite a bit, maybe they were pole lamps with three 100 watt bulbs, 2400 watts, the amp draw would be right at 20 amps

7. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Steve, What catpower said. Also may have aproblem in one of the lamps, check them one at a time.

I think it is great that you help your Mother and your Aunt.

Yak you cheapo, we always used a dime.

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Steve, it may be a faulty thermostat. Disconnect the thermostat wires and jump them together. If the burner ignites, the thermostat is bad.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The fuses blowing is probably loose wires at the fuse holder tighten them up.

Loose wires generate heat.

If the pilot is lit thermocouple is OK Is there a switch on the wall for the fireplace? Turn it on. is the gas valve turned on past pilot setting?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve keep her safe hire an electrican if your not sure how to find and resolve the problem. You only get one mom, both my wife and my parents are gone long ago and missed. Keep em safe

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If you're going to put the penny back you gotta make sure it is 1982 or earlier when they were copper. LOL

Just kidding Steve, don't put a penny behind the fuse.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.