1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My mom paid off the repair man with a turkey

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Late last night, I received a frantic call from my elderly mother stating that her furnace would not turn on. It was in the lower 30's here in Milwaukee, as I offered to pick her up and to sleep over at my house until the furnace could be fixed. She declined the offer, and said she had plenty of blankets as she would be alright.

I contacted a friend who is a heating and a/c man who works for a company that usually just fixes business heating and a/c. I told him the problem and he said he did not want her to spend the night without heat. So I picked him up at his house and he brought his tools.

While at my mom's house it took him two hours to fix her furnance as a bees nest was not allowing the furnace to start. He also fixed her fireplace so she can also now use that to help heat her home. She has a fancy thermostadt that a Phildelphia lawyer would have trouble understanding how it works, so he patiently walked her through it too.

My mother asked him how much does she owe him, and he quickly said, don't worry about it, as I quickly said that I would take care of the bill. My mom than gave him a 20lb. turkey for Thanksgiving and he acted appreciative.

When we got into my car, I asked how much do I owe you? He said well your mom just gave me a Turkey for Thanksgiving dinner and he said how about 2 gallons of cider? I said no kidding how much? He said I'm serious and I said thanks and agreed to bring over the cider this weekend.

After I dropped him off at his home I was thinking of when I was a young boy and my mom would call the doctor to come over to our house when I was ill. I remember hearing my mom tell the doctor if he could bill her as the $2.00 or $3.00 fee could not be paid until payday.

I remember one time our family doctor telling my mom, why don't you just make me lunch and we will call it even? The act of kindness that my fiend the repairman showed to my mom last night reminded me of times long gone by.

We need people to show acts of kindness especially to the elderly in these hard times. After school today, I will get him his cider and I just might throw in a gift certificate to toys r us for his children. It was nice having someone do something nice for my mom.

You may think that there isn't enough nice people in this world anymore, but all you have to do is look at our own TS,com. Over the years, a lot of you have not only helped me out, but have given numerous items fellow shooters for free.

After last night, I feel there is still hope for mankind.
    Steve

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My birth doctor used to come to the house. He kept track of all his babies and knew each one. He would give trinkets to the little ones.

No one ever was scared to go to the doctor. After I got married and had kids, our doctor had a mini pharmacy in his office. He never had to write prescriptions, just gave them out in the office. Once he had my wife soak the plaster stuff when he fixed my daughters broken ankle.

The cost was 35 bucks for the whole thing. He knew we had no insurance at the time.

I'm sure he went through Heaven's gate with no waiting.

HM

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I miss my childhood Dr.. Like halfmile said lots of things could be done right in office reasonably priced. I am sure he too went thru those special gates!!!

God Bless him and others like him

WesleyB

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

I'm sure it was a slip of the finger,but I wouldn't call someone like that a fiend(my fiend the repairman)..Those are what you call friends,rare and far between.Today the word friend is sometimes used loosely,but,you have a Real friend in this fella.I have to admit,I have one also,does most my mechanical work on my trucks,when I ask how much he just points to a Jar on a desk marked tips,and says,what ever you think it's worth.When we run to get parts if needed,I try to come up with something he needs for his shop and buy that also.We need more people like that,,he's my fishing buddy,he doesn't shoot anymore.

Doug H.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I remember those days!

But my father died because there was no way to fix his heart!

I would have been dead 11 years ago if it wasn't for modern medicine and surgery ... but if I had survived those 2 heart attacks somehow ... I would be in a wheel chair without my back surgeon!

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

In 1965 I was a budding stockbroker and had a locally famous surgeon as a client. In a meeting I asked him his opinion of the, then new, Medicare program.

Always remember that he told me that now with Medicare he was getting paid for half of the surgeries he used to do for no pay.

This was the onset of ever increasing medical expense - and here we are today with Obamacare.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've been in the HVAC business for about 36 yrs, and over the years I've done quite a bit of work for free, if the people were good to me, I returned it, now the ones I loved were the I'm better than you types, I always made up for the freebies from them

But on another note when I first got into the business, I went to an older ladies house, on a service call, it was a simple fix, I took her the bill it was for $8, she looked at it and asked what's this, I explained that the company I worked for had an hour minimum, and she said well it only took you 10 minutes to fix it and I agreed, so she handed me a bucket, and said well if I'm paying for a hour, I want an hour, let's go pick peaches, I thought she was a nut case, but after we started, we talked and she was a real nice lady, and she gave me a bunch of peaches, pecans and other fruit, I came out ahead, and she always asked for me when she called

8. trappertom

trappertom TS Member

It sure is great to have good friends! It is even better to have a Mother like your's. I sure miss mine!

9. senior smoke

Catpower:
    NIce story.
    Steve

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve, over the years running service, I've met some of the nicest people and some of the nastiest people, that was the good part, my pen took care of the nasties.

But I know quite a few A/C techs most are good, but some so crooked I don't see how they sleep at night, I always try to work with people especially now days, there's alot of people hurting out there, if they need a high dollar part, I usually have a used one ( if I can find in in one of my junk piles I mean shops) I will give them for nothing

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Doggonut Steve you sure hit a nerve with your story. My country doctor story begins in late 1946 the man who turned out to befmily doctor growing up gave me one of the first shots of penicillin he gave to a civilian kid when I had pneumonia. the man took some grief over the years as being nothing more than an Army Doctor due to his service in WW 11 Well I have a WW11 vet across the street thattold methis man cured his trench foot he picked up in New Guniea, some sort of solutioin/salve taht Japenese women used in their artillery round production turns out it woirks miracles on trench foot. About 1958 or 1959 I was pushing my yonger brother in a tire swing and the push went wild and my bro put his arm out and broke both bones in his forearm.Well my Mom rushed him to this same doctor and he had her hold him back in this huge Shaker style arm chair in his office and set both those bones, put a splint on and they rode in his car to Toledo Hospital for an xray after taht it was put a cast on as every thing looke just fine as far as alignment. Probably was not a $75.00
    bill for the whole mess. Damn fine doctor for being an Army one!!! You are fortunate to have a friend like yours that would look after you Mom that way. While I am here I salute all veterans past and present. Bill U S Army 1965 to 1968. Cu Chi RVN

12. psfive

psfive Member

True story.

About three years ago a sprained back had me owing my chiropractor over and above what my insurance paid near $1,800.00 Just before Christmas my statement came in the mail. Right in the middle stamped in red almost bigger than the paper it said YOUR BILL HAS BEEN ADJUSTED. The balance was zero. He was thanked. He did this for a number of people I later found out. I will never forget and I will get even somewhere someday. Paul In Nebraska.

13. senior smoke

These are some nice stories.
    Steve

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Many years ago the old lady who used to live behind us on what was left of her farm ran out of wood during an ice storm. I got some neighbors to take up a collection and we got a hold of a guy in the Nickel Ads selling firewood. He really didn't want to come out in a bad ice storm to deliver wood, until we told him about her plight. He showed up and we stacked the wood for her. Hadn't thought about this in years until I read this thread.

15. senior smoke

My experience has been that any time I have done something nice for someone, I usually have someone do something nice for me down the road. I honestly believe that most people are good in nature,.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.