1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My MO Bobcat

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Kinda an OT but here's my 27lb MO Bobcat. It did die from a shooting though. Actually a .22 but it was in a trap so i cheated. Went with some MO friends of mine to run their traps several years ago and thats how they do it. We caught this one and had it mounted. I have just started noticing more Bobcats in So IL but they are smaller than this one. How big do the Bobcats get in your area? How often do you see Bobcats?
    grntitan_2009_2503140.jpg

2. grntitan

Remember, this cat i pictured was taken and tagged legally. Just to make sure thats cleared up before someone jumps in with cry'n about the cat. ;-)

Was not my intention

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Fella I knew has taken a 38# off his trap line. Few gents have taken 35's but around here thats the biggest I've heard of.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bobcats are a very common site out here in the southwest, as well as Coyotes ... I watch a couple of Coyotes that camp out in my neighbors back yard under his Orange tree ... Yesterday they were making more Coyotes right out in the open ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. grntitan

WPT-Out in the desert where you live don't they call 'em Lynx or is that a totally different cat?

38Lbs is a big cat. When we walked up on the 27lb cat i shot he was pissed and wanted me bad. I would not have wanted any part of him outside of that trap.

Matt

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We call them Bobcats out here also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Congrats! Nice lookin cat.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have heard bobcats and seen fresh tracks, but never been able to sit and watch one. It's one of a few critters that I want to view in its habitat, but never have.

ss

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My son Sean and I have called in bobcats while coyote hunting. They were either out of season or we didn't have our furbearers license and tag that year. So they got off lucky.

There's a bobcat that patrols at night at my mother in law's ranch. We see its footprints often. It's been spotted a few times, usually watching the waterfowl in the pond. We suspect it raided the chicken coop over a three month period and picked them off.

I've seen several bobcats over the years in eastern Oregon. One was quite large and a reddish color. None of the ones in eastern Oregon ever stuck around to watch like the ones in western Oregon. They've probably had bad experience with humans before, and take off like there's a JATO unit on their back.

10. grntitan

He was mounted pissed off as he was before he died. I also see how dirty the thing has gotten. Its up high in my greatroom. As is stated in the original post it was a few years ago i got that one. Matt
    Get'n the duster out now..............

grntitan_2009_2503141.jpg

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

The Lynx and Bobcat are two different cats.Bobcats are becoming more abundant in many areas;in contrast, there are very few Lynx in the lower 48. I have called in and shot several Bobcats while calling coyotes in southern Nebraska and Northern KS. A bobcat over 35 lbs. would be a good sized cat. Most around here are 15-35lbs. I generally become too impatient and very seldom call at one site longer than 20min. Most cats are much slower(wary) about approaching than coyotes. I have gotten up from calling several times and spooked a cat that was approaching. Need to learn to stick with it a little longer when in cat country.

Steve

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Several years ago I was sitting in a tree stand deer hunting when a bobcat the size of which I had never seen before and of all things I was carrying a shotgun that day. I told my hunting buddy who was also a trapper that he didn't believe it could be near as big as I thought. He started setting traps and lo and behold he caught the cat in a leg trap and noosed it and brought it for me to see(in a cage of course). I took pictures of it and then he sold it to the University of Georgia for them to study. It weighted 41 pounds. If someone can post it for me I will email a copy of the picture for them to post. Jackie B.

13. grntitan

Jackie i PM'd you.

14. grntitan

Jackies 41 pound Bobcat.

grntitan_2009_2503143.jpg

15. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

When i was young a guy in the neighborhood caught a kitten still nursing, raised it and trained the thing to a lead. He walked it around like a dog. No dogs not near it. It was too long ago to remember the size but he had to turn it loose at a little over a year in age. That thing was mean.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

That cry on a still dark night sitting on a river bank will make a chill or two run down your spine!

17. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

On a good year in Kentucky my shop will take in up to 15 a year for mounting. It started about 7 years ago, before maybe 1 ever couple years that was hit by a car on the highway. thanks Ronnie

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bobcats are pretty common in Kansas. You'll see them now and then.

I've heard of more than one turkey hunter who have been stalked and attacked by one. Usually they quickly realize you're too big to eat, then they skedaddle.

And occasionally they'll attack turkey decoys, just like coyotes do. I've never witnessed it, but I have friends who have.

They're pretty skittish, and they hide well, so seeing one is pretty cool.

My friend calls them "prairie pussies."

Beautiful animal.

19. tachyon

tachyon Member

Game camera picture of Bobcat taken in October. About 0.5 miles south of the Platte River. Land is north of Linwood Nebraska. Three pictures of the cat total. Neighbor has pic of two cats going by his place. Season in Nebraska opens in December.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

wpt_2008_0303_143.jpg

Here is a Bobcat laying out on the sidewalk that goes to the entrance of the house ... She had a litter in the back yard ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bobcat trapped p b mo

shooting bobcats in missouri