1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My memories of Camp Lejeune

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I read the thread about the range and glad to see the military in some locations is not afraid to have a statement that it supports shooting sports--

However my memories of the place are a little different and seen through the yes of 19 year olds at the time

Parachuted in there for an exercise- we werent sure it was an exercise because we had in flight rigged and picked up live ammunition and grenades from the pallets-

Had a tank air droped and the parachute didnt work- about 50 yards behind me- or only one of the 3 or so worked- just enough to drag it out of the back of the airplane

Then

A guy streamered in and I ran towards him-- not knowing what I was going to do-was I thinking I would get there and break his fall? He was screaming- his reserve got caught on his rucksack

I didnt make it ( probably lucky) - and he hit about 10 feet at most in front of me- bounced 3 feet back up into the air and was laying there with his eyes bulged out-

I disconnected his capewells and was going to start mouth to mouth- but someone pulled me back away--- a helicopter had seen this and flown with decending jumpers in the air- and landed within 30 seconds- they loaded him on the aircraft and he survived in some manner

Yep I do have some memories of that place

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Thanks for your service to our country Gene. Bill Wheeler

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

About the only thing I remember about Camp Lejeune from 50 years ago was Jacksonville. :)

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

YES a BIG thank you. Ross Puls

5. gundog

gundog TS Member

I was there 44 years ago. Are you aware of the water problems they had there and did you get any paper work from the Corps about it. These are serious problems they had there.

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

never had the chance to hangout in Jacksonville, just Columbus, GA and Fayettenam, I mean Fayetteville, NC in the late 90's/early 2000's. Military towns down south seem to always have more vice than the military towns up north :) It was interesting to see no vice anywhere up in Watertown, NY (Ft. Drum) when I was there for a brief visit in the late 90's, when visiting a friend of mine assigned to 10th Mtn.

7. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I was at MCAS New River, Lejeune air base in 69-70. Lived with 3 other pilots in town. We were all back from Nam and much party time was had. The natives were friendly much to our delight. Remember the Brooklyn Spaghetti House, after our first visit they would put us in a back room because we were so exuberant.

8. soup

soup Member

Went there for ITR / BST . Hated NBC Warefare ( gas ) had to go back in the hut WITHOUT a mask and sweep the floor because I pulled off the instructors mask and followed him hot on his ass out the door . If you've ever been gassed you have to know what I looked like after sweeping the floor . In a few months that training and discipline saved my life " Down South " .
    Semper Fi Brothers,
    Soup

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Camp Lejeune 1962 for me, never got much Liberty so did not see much of jacksonville. I was just an 0300 ( grunt, rifleman) I do remember the slop chute with 15 cent beers though. Man I hated that Colt 45, Semper Fi

10. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I arrived at Lejeune in August of 1959,right out of the brig at Portsmouth N.H. I was at that point in my life where I knew everything there was to know about any given subject. I did 6 months in the brig for general stupidity and other dumb stuff and in their suoerior intellect BuPers (Bureau of Personnel) sent me to the Second Marine Division at Lejeune, it was exactly what I needed at exactly the right time, I ended up at Second Recon which was located out at Stone Bay next to the rifle range. I volunteered by the way. I fell right in with those Marines and had the time of my life, I was constantly deployed to Vieques, PR or to the Med. I went to many schools there because where ever the Marines went they took a Corpsman with them, damn that was fun, I learned how to blow stuff up with C4, learned how to load, and fire a 106 recoiless rifle, even loaded a 90mm on an M-48 in the med. I could shoot better than 95% of the Marines in the Bn and would never to answer any challenge. Two years ago I was up the hunting with my grandson who at that time was a Sgt just back form his second deployment to the sand box. Idecided to go back to visit Recon at their HQ out by Courthouse bay . I met the SgtMar, and the Colonel, the Chief Corpsman and was welcomed home as the Colonel said, he gave me his coin which means a lot to me and stays with me constantly, I don't think there are many like that one in circulation. Anyway those are a few of my memories from Lejeune from 50 years ago. Woody Sullivan a.k.a ReconDoc P.S. My grandson has been promoted to S/Sgt since our last get together

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

We still have a place at Topsail island. AJ

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Some history that you guys may not know is that the Islands that a lot of you trained on were owned by a man named Hugh Bland. He received over a million dollars a year from the govt for the use of this property. Hugh is 89 yrs old I believe and is a plain old smart country boy. I purchased my property over at Lake Eufaula Alabama from him and got some interesting history from him. He had bought those islands for next to nothing and then leased them out and began to buy property in west Georgia. For lack of a better word, he became a timber baron. In his early days he would some times go out with a colonel on training exercise and he told me(I already knew this) those were some tough SOB's and was sure glad they were on his side. He shared some good stories of helping folks that were just skimping by on military pay. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.