1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My MEC 650 and a Few Little Tricks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by E. Beaver, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

MY MEC 650 AND A FEW LITTLE TRICKS

I have a ¾” plywood bench measuring 4 X 4’. It’s a walk around bench that is used for a variety of things.

There are four ¼” “T” nuts mounted from under the bench top to fit the base of the MEC. I use four 1” thumbscrews onto which there are 2 nuts run all the way on to lessen the amount of turning necessary and to give one something roundish to turn quickly. When I’m not reloading the MEC is moved and secured elsewhere to free up my bench.

I use a 21X14X2” gift box tray as a catch for powder or shot should it fall.

I have replaced the slide screw with a 2” shoulder screw to make its’ removal and attachment easier.

When lowering the primer tray it is best to loosen the nut at least half a turn or more. I have found out the hard way by only loosing it a little bit and pulling the tray down bends the bracket and that makes the primers flip and cause problems. The bracket can be repositioned by grasping it with channel locks etc and bending until the primers fall satisfactorily.

A 7up or coke plastic soft drink bottle makes a dandy funnel for both powder and shot. Cut it off at the shoulder. One can screw them in about half way in and they will be secure. Screwed all the way in they are loose.

Bags of shot are downloaded into 12 oz coffee cans. One bag of 25 lbs just about fills 2 cans. Thereafter the cans are easy to carry, store, and dispense.

On one can a hole was cut in the plastic cover to fit a spout made out of a soft ½” plastic protective cap. It’s closed with a lightly fitting plug. It’s for the powder and makes refilling the MEC bottle easy. Another can was ovalized to form a pouring spout for the shot.

Of all the hulls that have been reloaded my favorites are Remington Nitros and STS. I’m up to 8 reloads and narry a crack yet.

The Winchester or Federal boxes are preferred over Remington as they keep their shape when empty. I use Winchester AA boxes for 71/2s, Universal for 8’s and Federal for practice loads. The end of the flat has the load data.

I cut the tops of all my flats so I can see at a glance what I have on hand.

I have always found opening a box of shells is more work than necessary.
    When I reload I cut off the right hand flap. (I’m left handed). The remaining flap holds them well enough and makes opening the box easy but secure enough for everyday use.

After every two boxes have been loaded I top off the primers if necessary and add powder and shot. The powder bottle is kept about half full. Adding powder after every 2 boxes keeps it within plus or minus ½”. This method keeps me from running out of anything and breaks up the reloading routine. It also promotes a more consistent load.

The wooden handle has been rounded off on the end to make it easier on my hand. Also it has been backed out about an inch to give me slightly better leverage.

The little black tray that catches the spent primers would not fit onto the base. The flange was cut off to make it fit.

To keep the stacking stand from sliding all over on my plywood bench I put a sheet metal screws pointing down into each corner of the base. The stand does not slide anymore.

Finally I have three long boxes measuring about 48L X 12W X 8”H. They were sealed up and an opening was cut in one end of the top. They rest on a shelf of the bench just below the MEC. They work like drawers and hold my hulls. Very convenient.

I realize that this is a whole bunch of little things, but for me, taken together, they make reloading smoother and more enjoyable.

Charlie

2. hoofty43

hoofty43 TS Member

Charlie, I think some of your ideas are overkill but all are good. I use the tall type bottle on my 650 and that way it eliminates a lot of light drops of powder. The powder can drop to under half full on the short bottles before you know it. As for me I am right handed and don't have many proplems with the Mec except for the primer tray. I color coded the chain on my primer tray so when changeing from winchester to federal primers is no longer a hassle. I have my loader set to the right side of the bench for more room and also have my supersizer at the extream right of my bench, but to a left hander this would all be backward. L.O L.

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Please explain your comment about the soda bottles as funnels and screwing them in. Screwed half way is more secure than all the way in?

4. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Dave, the thread on the 7 up or Coke plastic bottles is not full length. There is a gap between the bottom on the thread and the neck of the bottle.

Because the MEC powder and shot bottles are thin its best to keep the "funnel" only partly screwed in to have a snug engagment with the thread area and bottle.

If you screw it all the way in you will run out of thread and the gap area which is smaller in diameter than the hole in the bottle results in a loose fit. The funnel won't go anywhere it's just a little loose.

Charlie

5. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Charlie...good post. I have used some of the same ideas for years.

I break down the shot into even smaller containers; clear, wide mouth, with screw top, heavy plastic drinking bottles. Each holds about 5 pounds of shot. I reload my MEC 9000 after each 100 reloads.

The coke funnel bottle can be improved by running a match along the cut edge quickly. The heat will cause the edge to turn in toward the center. That stiffens the funnel and makes a lip on the top of the funnel.

The real benefit of your funnel is that it is clear and we can see the shot or powder being poured into the MEC bottles. No over fill.

I wrap and cover my flat boxes in brown, wide, plastic mailing tape which gives a measure of water protection and strengthens them. The flats are stacked 6 or 7 high.

I use colored, self stick, paper dots to designate the shell box and flat box contents. When either is empty, it is simply turned upside down.

Is all this over kill? Probably. But so was springing for the K-80 TS. It is not for everybody.

6. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

CharlesK80, thanks for the tip on running a match along the cut edge of the coke bottle to stiffen the lip.

I also wrap tape around the flats to strengthen them.

Charlie

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I for what ever reason am not picking up on WHAT you guys are screwing these funnels into????

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Using the tall bottles can crack the bar holder. Mec has a new support with rings half way up the bottle to ameliorate this problem.

HM

9. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

maclellan1911, with the powder and shot bottles installed on the loader remove the red plugs and screw the cut off coke bottle funnels into the hole in the bottom of the powder and shot bottles.

The funnels remain in place as long as you are loading. Because they are threaded in place they don't rattle around or fall out. They are free for the making.

I like the smaller size coke bottles as they are clear, stiffer and big enough for the job.

Charlie

10. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.