1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Kolar trap single chamber is really tight...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mr. listo, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

I want to use Gold Medal reloads, but they are very tight (if I can get them in at all) and they have to be punched out after firing. But Federal paper base hull reloads work just fine.

Any suggestions, besides have the chamber reamed out to SAAMI specifications?

2. jfan517

jfan517 Member

Mr. listo, I had the same problem with my Kolar TS and I had to send it to Kolar to get reamed out, now it's perfect. Great customer service I had my gun back within 5 days.

3. Donm

Donm Active Member

How do other shells work?

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have the same problem with my Kolar T/S. I found if I shoot the shells new and then reload them, they are fine. If I pick up shells sometime they are to large when reloaded. If I use my Mec 9000 they all work. The Mec seems to size them down more.

5. butcher

butcher Member

How do New Winchester Super Target shells work in the Kolar TS? Do they eject okay?

6. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

As much as those things cost you'd think you could at least get a shell in them. Both of my Berettas eat everything I put in them. Not trashing kolar,they are nice guns, just sayin.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Resize your hulls to SAAMI spec, and the problem will most likely disappear...

If you're having issues with one type of shell but not another, and issues with handloads and not factories, the cause doesn't lie with your gun.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

if the shell is within SAAMI specs and the gun don't function, it is a firearm problem. Kolar will most likely take care of it.

9. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

RESIZE OMG

10. tincanman

tincanman Member

How old is your TS? I had Kolar resleeve a 90T that had the same problem but it probably had many miles on it.

Do you resize the hulls on the reloader? I resize and have no problems, but I only reload Remington STS hulls. In a pinch I might buy some cheap Top Gunish stuff but try to shoot brass only.

11. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

Top Gun hulls work fine.

Talked to the Spolars and they said the chamber is probably too tight.

I need to call Kolar.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I never re-size STS or AA hulls and they seem even a bit "loose" when I insert them into the chamber but if I use a steel based hull without resizing, it won't eject - too tight.

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

Harry, the one problem I know of with Spolar is that they will occasionally put out a die that has too large internal diameter. Mic your dies and you will see the problem. You can have a machinist make you a new die or take your chances talking to Carter about sending you one of the proper size. Their acceptable range is just too large for some of the tighter chambers out there. Other than that you'll just have to buy a MEC Super Sizer and pre-size them.

14. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

I asked Carter about sending me a smaller diameter die and he said all of his sizing dies are the same. I took this as a "No". Years ago, when I had a P-W, they sent me some tighter dies. I think I have an old MEC "Super Sizer" somewhere in my basement.

Thanks,

Harry

15. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

The sizing ring in our dies ends about 1/4 inch up from the bottom of the die, if someone gets a larger measurement, they are probably not measuring the working area. During the 17 years we have been selling our reloader we have always made our dies to resize to the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute, (S.A.A.M.I.) specifications, which are the United States standards. The Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives sets the Standards for European Guns and Ammunition and they are not the same.
    Here is the link to the S.A.A.M.I. chamber/ammunition drawings: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/209.
    pdf and the dates they were adopted http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/C%20and%20C%20Dwgs%20-%20TOC%20-%20Shotshell.pdf note that the most recent change in the specifications for the tournament shotshell gauges were in the 1970’s In recent years we begin getting calls about shells not fitting in the chambers of some of the high end guns. Often a customer who calls has had and used our reloader for years and never had a problem with shells fitting until he bought a new gun. We asked one of the manufactures why they were making their chambers so tight, and he immediately replied that he did not want reloads used in his guns! Some of the newer guns even have “Do Not Use Reloaded Ammunition” stamped right on the top of the barrel. I don’t know why, but some new shotshells are smaller than the specifications. Most of the responses to this thread are exactly what we tell customers, “please have a gunsmith or the manufacture check your chamber first”, at times, the chambers were even found to be out of round.
    Dicksie Spolar

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Dicksie...how are you getting along after the horse crashed? Hope all is well; not seen you or Carter around in a long time at Redlands...

17. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

I am doing great. The doctor told me last week that the bones are all healed. Nothing hurts except the scars that are still on my leg sting. During quail season, I walked miles, limping at the time, now I don't even limp and I am riding again. I need to work on lifting my gun because I am weak and get tired if I shoot trap. Carter has been shooting all along.
    Thank you for asking.
    Dicksie

18. APrice

APrice Active Member

Dicksie, the brass head on a 12 ga STS is only about 1/4 inch. If there is no sizing done in the first 1/2 inch of your dies, there wouldn't be any sizing done at all.

As far as them all being the "same," the costs of doing so would be enormous. There is obviously an allowable range and in my case there was a variance of 8 thousandths from smallest to largest. Only one die was so large that it caused a chambering problem. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to have a properly-sized one manufactured.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My 90T does not like steel base hulls. I had to adjust the collet on my 9000 to make sure the finished diameter was under .809". It does not like fiocchi primers either so I avoid them.

My Beretta was not fussy at all, after a few hundred thousand rounds through it, LOL.

Adjust your loader. If your loader will not adjust, use brass base shells.

HM

20. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Funny no one ever complains about brass base hell sticking. Brass has more memory that steel. Brass will expand upon discharge but will then spring back to almost original size, not so with steel. A nice clean chamber will help with this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.