1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MY K=80 blew -up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

What type of shells were you using? If they were reloads what kind of powder was in it?

3. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Any gun can be "blown up"....we need more details....

4. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

In the first picture it looks like a pre-exixting fracture in the chamber. The discolored parts of the fracture look older than the fresh clean metal.

How many rounds through the gun?
    Wad type?
    type of loader?

To bad we cant blame a base wad in this one.

5. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

It's not that hard to generate 60k p.s.i. if a blockage is present. If the lab determined there was that much pressure present then it would have to be a blockage. On the other hand if there were any weak spots in the metal around those points then I could see this happening with a lot less p.s.i. Use this analogy, say for example you have a tire with a weak spot in it. If you fill the tire slowly then the weak spot will slowly bulge out and eventually start leaking, but if you were able to pump in all the air instantaneously then the tire will blow up causing severe damage. This is what happens a lot of times with firearms, a weak spot is usually not detected early enough to prevent blow ups. It really isn't a bad idea to check the gun thoroughly every 50,000 rounds for such cracks or fractures to prevent this from happening.

6. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

what primer?

Depending on the primer clays and a fig 8 can be excessive at 1180fps. Hodgdon shows chedite, federal, and fiocchi at max pressure with only a mv of 1145fps.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have three of these guns that supposedly "blow up" and I would not use them if I believed the BS on the web. One guy at the club has over 250,000 rounds through his K-80. Many top shooters use the K-80 and they would not put themselves in danger when there are other high end guns that get the job done.

It sounds as though White's did not find a metallurgical problem but have concluded excess pressure (60,000 psi) caused the accident. Because you were shooting reloads you have an uphill struggle. To answer your question, I do not know if a shotgun shell could develop that much pressure unless two errors were made that compounded the effect. IE - double charge of incorrect powder - or the wrong powder, no wad and a double shot charge etc - but I am just speculating.

I am glad you and the bystanders were not injured. You are very lucky.

Don Verna

EE and rifle guy,
    How could White's have physically examined the gun and missed what you have concluded from viewing the photos? This could be very important in the lawsuit to come as the White's report does not provide any hope of this poor fellow winning. Krieghoff will have that report, and it seems to conclude excess pressure was the cause.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Appears to be excessive pressure in the chamber area. Typically some sort of blockage would be further down the barrel. If there were a block in the area that blew, it looks like a shell could no be chambered. My best guess is that there was something in the shell that shouldn't have been there.

Pat Ireland

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Have there been any recorded blowups using factory loads???

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I think the barrel was blocked. ANY 12 guage shotgun shell could produce this kind of pressure (60,000 p.s.i.) if the gasses expanded and had no place to go. How did White's check a barrel that was already blown up to determine the kind of pressure it took to do the damage. Did they use a new barrel and test it till it blew up also?? I kinda' doubt it!!

11. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Would you be interested in selling the receiver i would like the trigger and parts for my k32 just wondering email me with answer. thank you kirk

12. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

that's why I shoot the best gun in the world perazzi

13. quattle

quattle Member

One or two dealings with Lucio might change your mind about that, or the customer service end of it any way.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Is it my imagination or does this chamber look awfully thin in the monoblock area?

Whiz

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a Ljutic next time. I've never heard of a Ljutic blowing up. But, I could be wrong....

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

60,000psi spike in chamber pressure and payload at 1181fps equals powder detonation. Damage in chamber area supports this theory. HMB

17. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Enough about buying a different gun... A K80 is a quality gun. It's not some POS. come on!

18. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Guns can be replaced. Were you hurt in any way? Were any other shooters around you affected by the blow up? Thanks for posting the pictures.

Dale

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A Gold SuperScroll no less

20. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I want to know what Krieghoff has to say about these blow ups...Why is it ONLY Krieghoffs that are blowing up left and right? There are Perazzis out there with just as many shells through them as these exploding Krieghoffs, but I've never seen anyone come on here and say their Perazzi exploded, and same goes for Ljutics or any high quality trap gun. I am in no way saying Krieghoff makes bad guns (I wish I could afford one), but it is obviously a problem and it should probably be fixed. The gun should be able to withstand someone shooting hundreds of thousands of rounds through it, reloads or factory. JMO. Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.