1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My head still hurts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k-oss, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k-oss

k-oss TS Member

I've enjoyed reading this forum for some time now. Figured I'd jump in with a problem some of you might be able to help with.

Been shooting a winter leaque for the past few years with my Dads Browning Side by side for sentimental reasons and have actually done reasonably well with it being our squads A shooter for the season finally.

I decided to try to take my game to the next level by buying a Ruger Red Label as I've noticed one doesn't see to many side by sides on the range and I've always liked the feel of the O/U's.

Now before the usual bomb goes off with everyone either blasting Rugers or defending them, as there seems to be no middle ground in this debate,my hope is that one of you seasoned veterans out there can just give me a few suggestions.

This gun is the 30" clays model. I shot it yesterday for the first time. Shot a 42 at 21yds which I figured was ok for a first time out. Never even noticed the recoil to my shoulder but that thing beat my cheek to a pulp.

Shooting the Browning where you practically lay your face on the stock I know I scrunch into this new gun to much as it's what I'm used to. I shoot both eyes open but I can't see how I can get a proper sight picture or alignment by straighening up my head.

What say you??
    Bob Nytch

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I'm sure that those more seasoned than myself will chime in shortly, but this is all going to come back to having a proper fitting gun. Actually, just do a search on this site for gun fit, and you shall soon be in business. Welcome to the forum!

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rugers kick like a mule. That is why you don't see any on the trap line. I have not heard of any solutions to the problem. Save yourself a lot of pain and trade it in on a user friendly gun. HMB

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Anyone who took one week of physics can tell you that recoil is purely a function of the amount of energy and mass in a shell and the weight of the gun it has to move in the opposite direction. As such, all guns of equal weight will recoil an equal amount with the same shell, mule kicking not withstanding.

It is how this recoil is delivered to the shooter that matters. A properly fitted gun will have the right pitch, etc to focus the majority of the the recoil straight back into the shooters grip hand and shoulder. If it does this, it will not rise into your cheek.

How well your shoulder absorbs this recoil is dependent on your muscle mass and skeletal structure. How well you tolerate the recoil probably depends on having sufficient muscle mass to distribute the energy over a broader area and your individual pain threshold assuming their is no chronic inflammation in the joints involved.

From what you say, shoulder recoil is not a problem for you. But, if the gun is beating your cheek up, it is definitely a gun fit problem.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My wife had a problem shooting a BT-99 micro. To small and it recoiled in her cheek. Then she tried a std model BT-99 and the problem was gone. We did this before we got the gun. We shot the Bt-99 at our range with people that had the guns.
    So I would have to say check your fit and go from there.

6. k-oss

k-oss TS Member

Great posts!!Thanks. Been thinking about all this and it occurred to me that I hold the Browning real loose with both arms because it doesn't punish me and a loose hold allows one to swing more freely.Right? I was doing the same thing out of habit with the Ruger. I wonder if I pulled it in tight my trigger hand while leaving support arm free and loose would help reduce the punch to the kisser. Bob

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

a cheap patch on the problem to get you by is getting a stick on Cheek-eez comb pad..that might help

8. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

Rugers are good at putting a bruse on your cheek. Too much pitch, and no paralell comb. Start with a buttstock pitch spacer that makes your recoil pad 90 degrees perpendicular to the rib. Too much pitch makes the gun slide up the shoulder and into your face under recoil. Too little pitch causes a sore shoulder. Next, install an adjustable paralell comb with the comb forend angled slightly away from your face. Finally, install the largest mercury recoil reducer you can in the butt stock, a 10 pound gross gun weight will significantly reduce punishment. Jon Sharp

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

k-oss- What kind of gun you shoot is not at all important as long as you shoot it well and it does not beat you up. I would quickly dump my K-80 and shoot a Mossberg bolt action if I could shoot the Mossberg better.

As Jon and KBrooks pointed out, total recoil is a function of the shell you shoot and the weight of the gun. How this total recoil is perceived gets very complicated. Simply gripping the gun tighter will shift some of the recoil from your face to your arms. Pitch can be very important. Rollin has written an excellent book on how to reduce the perception of recoil. A comb configuration and pitch that works well for one person may not work at all for another person. The pathway to getting the perfect stock fit is long, with many side tracks that go nowhere and it is difficult to recognize when you have reached the end of the path.

Pat Ireland

10. pull!

pull! TS Member

are you shooting super handicaps or nitro 27s? I shoot better scores with my one ounce-2 3/4 dram loads and don't flinch nearly as much.

some of my best scores were shot with a 7/8 ounce loads-practically no kick at all!

11. k-oss

k-oss TS Member

Pull!

Loads used were the following reload:

AA hulls
    17.3 grs Titewad (weighed)
    Win Primer
    WAA12 Wad
    1 1/8 oz 7.5 shot

Probably 1150 fps. Certainly not super handi-caps. Just typical target loads.
    Great point though. I'm searching the books for a good 1 oz or 7/8 as you suggest.

Jon,Pat,Calvin, Kraiza, JBrooks...thanks for taking the time to respond. Great info

12. coffee

coffee Member

K-oss.......Had the same problem. I started making adjustments by using wedges under the butt plate to change the pitch. From there I eventualy ended up having the stock cut and a Gracoil put on. Scores did improve and NO more cheek gettting beat up. Worked for me...COFFEE

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Seems to me that by the time you get this gun's stock adjusted, you might do better to sell it and buy something that fits you better.

An adjustable buttplate might cost you $200.00, and a quality adjustable comb might cost you another $200.00. Seems like a fully adjustable Gracoil was around $350 as I recall. Another issue is weight, which makes the Ruger a nice field gun, but not a good trap or clays gun. You can add weight to the gun, but that's just another cost.

Point is, you've got a nearly new Ruger that you could replace with something that fits better for about what it would cost you to make the Ruger right. Nothing against Ruger, but would you have bought the Ruger if you knew it would cost you $400.00 or $500.00 to make it shoot without pain? Probably not. I would sell it while you can still get a "nearly new" price for it.

$.02

14. k-oss

k-oss TS Member

So does anyone know what happens to the factory warantee when you start carving
    into the stock of a brand new shotgun to install such goodies as an adjustable come or Gracoil????

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing will help!! The gun is possessed by demons. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.