1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Gunfitting Plan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Greg Hissem is installing an adjustable comb and butt plate on my favorite 3200's stock; I'll get it back this week. I've never had an adjustable gun before so this will be a new adventure. I've read many posts here, have Rollin's "old" book, and have taken a coaching session once from a local AA.

Please assess my plan to get the gun at least close until I find a really good fitter to set me up:

1. Was told I mount with a small cant, so first I'll set the butt angle to compensate for that, and to feel comfy in the pocket.

2. I am tall with a fairly long neck so I also plan on dropping the butt plate about 3/4" for starters with the aim of getting a more upright head.

3. Next I'll take it to the club and test fire at 13 yds to give me a basis for adjusting the comb. The goal should be spot on horizontally and (I think) about 1" high (I am a 21 yd shooter currently).

4. Once all that's done I must promise myself not to monkey with it for some length of time to get a good assessment of what damage I've done.

5. I know, see an expert fitter soonest!

Does this sound like a viable plan? Any tips?

Guy Babin

2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Guy,

I think you have a good start, I would add a couple of things.

1. Make sure the recoil pad is fully contacting your shoulder pocket evenly. Change pitch if only half of the pad is fully in contact.

2. I like to pattern at 34 yds to really see what the pattern is doing where you break targets. By the way, a small horizontal error at 13 yds might not seem like much, that is one reason for patterning at longer distance.

Don't be fixated on the 1" high, follow PBBs advice above for adjusting height of comb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.