1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

my gun went off

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beni, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beni

Beni Member

Last night at my club I was trying out a new Benelli Cordoba. I shot the first 25 with out a function problem. The next 25 on the 3rd bird, when I dropped the bolt the gun went off,luckily the gun was pointed down range. Im using reloads, gray aa hull fiochhe primmers 18.5 grs promo powder. Right after it happened I inspected the case and found nothing on the primer indicating a hit. Has this ever happened to any one,its a first for me.

2. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I had that happen then i had to get married.lol I really hope you find out what happend glad no one was hurt.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Just goes to show you a gun is always loaded, just like your dad said!

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Seems like the primer was riding a little high. The force of the bolt face hitting it was enough to cause the primer to ignite.

Jason

5. creteham

creteham Member

You didn't end up painting the trap house (or un-painting your shorts) afterwards, did you? :)

Seriously....Sounds like maybe the primer wasn't seated all the way and the bolt face hit it and caused it to fire. Just a guess.

Terry

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd take a real close look at the primer and see if there is a light mark on it. It's possible the primer was not seated deep enough or that the gun actually fired it by releasing the firing pin. I'd check it out thoroughly before shooting it again. A new gun could have some crud/debris in the trigger mechanism, so I'd eventually tear it down and clean it well. That would be done after I determine what caused the AD or UD and I'd be doing a very through inspection at the same time.

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Slamfires are a common phenomena with semi-auto firearms. An AR15 can slamfire when a bolt is dropped on a single round, and without a magazine inserted, especially with soft primers. It's not good practice to drop a semi auto bolt on a single round.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I, with 20/20 hindsight, try to assume that the gun will slamfire each time that I close it...it's a singleshot boxlock, but each time I close it on the line, I assume it could go off. Has happened before, will happen again if I luckily shoot it enough. These are mechanical devices after all.

9. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I'll echo DB Bill's comment. "Luckily your gun was pointed downrange" ? When is your barrel NOT pointed downrange? Gun safety is not just a good idea. Remember STUPID HURTS

10. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Gee sarge, seems like you don't like trapshooters very much the way you speak of them ?
    Did someone rub you the wrong way ? Otherwise you seem knowledgeable.

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Hey Beni......that'll teach you to ask for constructive advice on this forum.....

12. Beni

Beni Member

Thanks for the input,I used the word luckily because the first thing someone would have asked was if the muzzle was pointed down range. I to take gun care very seriously and I too shoot high power rifle matches and hand gun matches and know very well about range saftey. Sorry shouldnt have used the word luckily and I too have have rubbed elbows with rifle handgun trap muzzleloader shooters with no problems. Right now after an inspection the gun was clean and am leaning toward a high primer or a high dome on the primer. Joel

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Beni,

From your experience you probably are aware of this, but a cartridge that fires when the bolt is slightly out of battery will allow the primer to show little or no evidence of firing pin strike.

The firing pin may (or not, if the primer was high it may have been a portion of the bolt face) have caused the primer to ignite and with the bolt out of battery and not holding the bolt tight against the case the pressure of the cartridge would "iron out" the firing pin indention.

I have a Benelli and have loaded many, many single rounds as you did with out incident......but there is always an exception.

Good luck in tracking down the culprit in this case.

HBT

14. atashooter

atashooter Member

Beni, I have a Benelli M-2. I was reloading STS hulls with Winchester primers. Every now and again, The primer on a few, VERY FEW, will back out over time setting. This is due to Remington primers have a slightly rounded tip, and the Winchester is square. The STS hull, the primer pocket is slightly tapered at the end and mates the Remington rounded edge perfectly. That taper in the STS hull can sometimes squeeze the Winchester primer out just a touch. Anyway, at a shoot, I noticed a primer slightly backed out. Not much, maybe 1/32", heck, maybe even 1/64". I put it in, and keeping her downrange, I hit the release. BOOM !!! After it fired, and the hull ejected, I looked at it and the primer was flush, and a very light strike on it. I mean, a LIGHT strike. So, yes, a backed out primer WILL go off in a Benelli sometimes when you close the bolt.

15. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I use a Remington 31 TC pump for trap.

I load a round directly into the chamber with the muzzle resting on a rubber pad on the ground.

After the person before me shoots I pick the muzzle up from the pad about 10 inches and with the muzzle pointing down and forward I close the bolt before raising the gun to my shoulder.

Is this unsafe?

What would happen safety wise if my gun discharged when I closed the bolt so close to ground?

Thanks

Lou

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Even guns and ammo are like humans, you get a hair in a biscut once in awhile.

17. Bushmaster1313

"Bushmaster, I would not want to shoot handicap with you."

Gary:

Please tell me what I am doing wrong and why?

Lou

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lou,

Downrange is downrange. The shot impacts well away from the shooters. If your gun is pointed near your feet, debris and shot can travel in many directions and cause injury to shooters nearby, including yourself. A lot depends on the type of surface, but with concrete and gravel or sand used on many trap fields. There could be a LOT of stuff in motion. You might be the closest to the muzzle, so you might want to take a look at how close your foot would be to the impact area. I'm sure Gary can speak for himself, but that's my thoughts.

19. Bushmaster1313

Quack and Gary:

Good advice!

Gun will be down range and level with the ground when I close the action.

I've noticed that the best shooters have a routine that reminds me of a Major League batter getting ready for the pitch.

My routine will be:
    Gun up off the pad with forward hand holding bolt open; Point gun level; Close bolt; Shoulder; Cheek; Finger; Call Pull; Break target!

Lou

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Local Club about three years ago shooter closed gun pointed at the ground (a pump ) Three shooters get shot- gravel and concrete in legs all need Med help .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.