1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My GREASE Habit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I apply gun grease to my BT99 and Cirori every time I shoot, and I clean it off every time I take the guns down. It is almost a ritual, yes, a habit. Yet, as much as I pay attention, I fail to see how my greasing does anything of value - at least nothing more than the thin coat of Remoil does that remains after a cleaning.

I have a tube of Krieghoff gun grease (probably as close as I'll come to owning something with the Krieghoff name on it)and a syringe device with a red grease in it. I have applied thin coats and gobs, but fail to see a difference.

Is my grease habit actually accomplishing anything more than putting ca$h into the hands of the folks who sell it?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

As someone who managed to gall my new gun the first time I used it, I have become a believer in ritually greasing and cleaning it every time that I take it out. I never used to before on a cheaper gun, but managed to f--- up the nice one on day 1. Lesson learned.

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Congratulations... it appears you pride in yourself and your equipment.

I am always amazed by the question: "How often do I have to clean my gun".

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Your grease and cleaning habit is prolonging the life of your fine firearms. Congratulations

--- Chip King ---

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I only use oil for the triggers and then use a air hose to blow off the excess.
    Grease only for load bearing surfaces. I have seen many guns that galled(deep grooves) on the receiver and forend iron from lack of grease or using only oil.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Removing the old grease removes contaminants such as particles of unburnt powder and small pieces of lead. It can't hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.