1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My grandson fell into camp fire

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 10, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Over the weekend my daughter and son in law invited us over to their home for dinner. Afterwards, we decided to sit out by the camp fire pit and roast marshmallows.

Things were going well and the neighbor boy walked over and ask if he can sit with us around the fire and my daughter said fine. One of my grandchildren tells my daughter that he has to go to the bathroom and leaves.

When he returns, the neighbor boy sticks out his leg and trips my 6 year old grandson and he falls into the fire pit. I have not moved that quickly since around 1970, and quickly got him out.

His sweat shirt started on fire and I quickly took that off of him. He ended up with a burned hand and forearm. We took him to the walk in clinic and they gave him something called Silvadene cream.

My grandson will be alright, scary situation though. I guess boys will be boys but the kid who tripped him is 11 years old. The kids mother came running out of her house when she heard the commotion.

I did not say any thing to the 11 year old as his mother went crazy on him. Accidents happen, in this case the 11 year old had no idea that my grandson would fall into the pit.

Two questions, any one ever get burned that used Silvadene cream? The nurse said it's expensive. Also as a kid did you ever horse around were someone got hurt?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. Brad*90T

Brad*90T Member

The silvadene cream is great stuff. Used it on and burn, and left no scar. Also used it on road rash when I had a motorcyle wreck and there is very little scarring (some spots were all the way to the bone). Hope he makes a full recovery, and that the other boys momma whooped his a$$ good.

Brad

3. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Steve

Silvadene is very good, used many times. Also you may try breaking some vitamin E and putting on it once it starts to heal, helps with the scars. You are to easy, the 11 year old needs a &ss whipping.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Learned early on not to run around swimming pools or horse around camp fires. Horsing around and people getting hurt was a normal part of growing up in the 50's and 60's. Sure wish kids today had the same opportunity's. Scrapes, bruises and an occasional broken bone offer life long lessons that make good stories and aren't easily forgotten.

Hope your Grandson heals well. Have a feeling the 11yr. old took away a healthier respect for fire. If he's not devoid of conscience than lessoned learned.

Robert

5. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

When I was 10 or so, I touched off a Mason jar lid piled full of black powder. It took most of the hide off my face. The Silvadene left me with only a slightly red nose, it's good stuff. You grandson should heal up just fine.

35 years later I'm still playing with powder, albeit a little more safely.

Tim

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

While my wife worked in the ER for two years, there was at the least one campfire burn a week from May to Sept. Mostly adults...Mostly drinking involved.

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Pure Real Vanillia not the artifical. keep some on hand all time for burns if you dont have the Silvadene

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Steve,

First let me say how unfortunate this incident was. You didn't say how bad the boy's burns are, so I hope they are minor.

I have been burned twice in my life, both times 2nd and 3rd degree. The first time was many years ago and the use of Silvidene was the prominent treatment. It's good stuff, and does the job as long as the wounds are clean, or cleaned (debrided) regularly. Soaking in warm water each day helps, also.

If there is little or no foreign materials in the wounds like cloth, or wood char you have little to worry about infection. I would recommend that you stay away from Bacitracin ointment, which has become the standard for US burn treatment today. I learned the hard way about Bacitracin.

When it came out it caused terrible rashes in about 15% of the people that used it. From what I learned, it was reformulated (in secret) after it was named contact allergen of the year in 2003 & 2004. I was prescribed Bacitracin in 2006 and now have a lifelong reoccurring rash over the burned skin. It's miserable at times.

I actually had to go to the UK and EU web sites to find the truth, our RX companies have a strangle hold on our INet. But with what's going on that is not a surprise any longer. The EU med sites actually recommend using Petroleum jelly to cover and protect fresh burns, when necessary. They say that without the risk of infection from foreign materials, Vaseline actually is just as good as a topical ointment without the reaction risk.

I hope the boy's wounds are minor and that he will recover quickly.

I'm not a doctor, but I do stay at Holiday Inn's, and this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Kip

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

As everybody said Silvadene is some great stuff but she was right it is also pricey

Glad your your grandson didn't get burned to bad and hope he has a good recovery

Yeah kids do stupid things, aren't we all glad we never did LOL

10. 100straight

100straight Member

The worst stupid thing I saw growing up was a kid I knew was at the local repair shop hanging out over Christmas break. I think he was about 10 or 12 at the time. The mechanic went to the outhouse, and the kid took a soda bottle full of kerosene that the mechanic had for penetrating oil and threw it in the woodstove. The kid made it out with some burns, and no one else was hurt, but the shop burnt to the ground. From the stories he told later he was whipped, whipped, and whipped some more, and made to work his weekends and summers for the mechanic for several years as restitution.

Mark

11. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Best burn cream around. When I was a young lad of 10 years old I spilled a gallon or so of boiling water all over my stomach. Lost quite a bit of skin on that one. I remember that all the bandage changes were extremely painful and took a long time to heal but that cream helped a lot. I remember it having a cooling effect and the scaring was minimal. Good stuff

12. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

Silvadene cream is good stuff but it is not for first aide use. If you put a heavy dose of silvadene on a burn while the skin is still hot, the burning will continue causing more damage. Cool and dry the area first before using any ointment. Also, if the burns are on the hands, face, feet or over any joint-seek medical advice immediately.

Fire/EMS for 30 years.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A doctor should examine the burns, period. He needs to assess if there is a risk of infection, and to minimize cosmetic damage.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I lost my bestie at six years old from a burn about the size of a forearm.

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

A lot off you sad to say have had experience with burns. My grandson is doing well as the burns he suffered were not to the extent that we think scars would be left, at least we hope so.

Now the boy who tripped him is basically a good kid. How many times growing up did we do something stupid not thinking of the consequences?

Trust me, the neighbor family are good friends to my daughter's family. My daughter told the mother the next day that there were no hard feelings.

On a different subject, my oldest grandson's last day of school was yesterday. He's 8, and will be 9 in July. Some kid in his class told him that he wanted to sit in my grandson's seat. My grandson told him no, there were plenty of other seats to seat at.

The kid put his hands around my grandson's neck and attempted to choke him. My grandson gave him an elbow to his stomach and then punched the boy. They were both sent to the principle's office than.

Found out the kid who attempted to choke my grandson has some mental problems. The principle called my daughter and told her what happened and hopes this is the end of the problem.

This was the last day of school and my grandson will not see this kid till next semester when school starts. The principle was worried about this kid that he told my daughter that he is placing this kid in another class next year.

I can not tell you the # of fist fights that I was involved in years ago while going to school. My daughter said you always say "boys will be boys"? I suggested don't make a mountain out of a mow hill. My daughter said that I must of grew up in a time that resembled the wild west. I told her kids fight, simple as that.
    Steve

Search tags for this page

i fell into a camp fire what do i do