1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My friends dog sucks.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

How do you go about telling a friend of yours that the dog that he loves, cherishes and thinks is the worlds best bird dog sucks? I'm sure some of you have experienced a guy like this who is always toting about how everybody loves his dog and it's the greatest dog ever, but when you get lucky enough to spend some quality time with this marvel of inbreeding, its true colors come out.

Let's see, where do I start? Ummmm, constantly jumping up on me, slobbering all over me, running up ahead of me on a bird hunt that I've spent a lot of money on and spooking birds up which are way out of range, barking ALL of the time, getting into MY food, etc, etc......and my friend is seemingly oblivious to all of this misbehavior.

This is why I own a cat.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Take your cat out on a bird hunt and see how he does, then report back here.

Eric

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I saw someone posted on facebook that their rat terrier ( a tremendous and notorious cat killer) was just seen sitting on her front porch with the neighbors black cat- content and peaceful

She mentioned end of days in her conjecture.

She did not mention Obama's birth certificate.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Well. that's a Brittany for you! JUST KIDDING

5. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

How did you get ahold of my Lab??? LOL

Larry

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You could substitute the word kids for dog and describe the same common dilema.

Not really possible to accept their shortcommings if you don't love them. Dealing with the problems is even more difficult because it is a direct reflection on your own shortcomings as a owner/parent.

7. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Wayyy wayyy, you must be bored..

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"Dealing with the problems is even more difficult because it is a direct reflection on your own shortcomings as a owner/parent."

Here, Here! But the guy probably doesn't even recognize this as a problem, and doesn't know that he has shortcomings as a trainer. He needs to hang out with some people who have REAL bird dogs.

People are definitely the same with their children. I had one of my ex's friends chastise me because my daughter was made to say "thank you" to him. He said that I was stifling her because I was too disiplinarian. I wanted to slap him upside the head, for real. Nobody could stand to be around his daughter, and now that she's a teenager, she throws f-bombs at her dad all of the time.

Maybe you can buy your friend a gift certificate for some dog training for Christmas. It's a nice way to get him started.

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I think wolfram has hit the nail on the head. Better find a new hunting partner. guys can have a hard time hearing about how bad the dog is from a guy who doesn't own one. Sort of like our Catholic priest giving me marriage advice. Jeff

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

"Dealing with the problems is even more difficult because it is a direct reflection on your own shortcomings as a owner/parent."

I guess what I wanted to say by that is telling someone that their dog (or kid) sucks is not going to be received well becuase it is pretty much the same as telling the owner/parent they suck. The good news is you can learn how to be a better dog trainer (or parent). Sometimes a little straight talk across the shoulder from a friend is the catalyst for improvement. Lots of risks to the friendship though.

Gotta agree with Recurvy though, there is nothing like time spent in the field with a good bird dog. That one purfect point / shot/ retrieve makes up for the many hours of training and practice that it took to get there.

11. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tron, with your cat/Hillary fetish you are lucky to have a friend. Cherish him and put up with the dog. Harv

12. RDM

RDM TS Member

A good Shock Collar is where I would start.

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I guess I need to send a stock your way for some work Tron. You obviously have way too much free time. LOL.

ss

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

No, RDM, you don't put a shock collar in the hands of an obviously unskilled owner. Those are for people who know what they are doing with dogs.

15. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

RDM, the shock collar treatment on Tron has already been tried. He seems to enjoy it too much!

16. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

An avid duck hunter was in the market for a new bird dog.
    His search ended when he found a dog that could actually
    walk on water to retrieve a duck. Shocked by his find, he
    was sure none of his friends would ever believe him.
    He decided to try to break the news to a friend of his,
    a pessimist by nature, and invited him to hunt with him
    and his new dog.
    As they waited by the shore, a flock of ducks flew by.
    They fired, and a duck fell. The dog responded and jumped
    into the water. The dog, however, did not sink, but
    instead walked across the water to retrieve the bird,
    never getting more than his paws wet.
    The friend saw everything but did not say a single word.
    On the drive home, the hunter asked his friend, "Did you
    notice anything unusual about my new dog?"
    "I sure did," responded his friend. "The sumbitch can't swim."

17. twotimer

twotimer Member

Tron, save your money and go pheasant hunting with us in S.D. next Nov. Mike

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tron, that's the best cast and presentation I have seen from you in a long time. Nice to know you have not lost your touch, but I'm still not biting. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had a boss that had a dog that could do no wrong. He to would jump on you. Lick you and so on. I told him that I didn't like him to jump on me and he said he was just playing. He just wouldn't do anything about it. I wasn't in a good mood one day and the dog jumped on me. I took my open hand and slapped the hell out of him on his shoulder. It took the dog 3 times to learn and he never jumped on me again. My boss noticed that he wasn't jumping on me and asked why? I told him and he said THAT REALLY WORKED?

The same boss asked me how to keep the same dog out of the flower bed. I told him to get a electric fence box and wire up the flower bed. He acted like I told him to shoot the damn dog. Well one day he called me and asked if I had a electric fence box and I said I did. Why do you ask? Well the dog was trying to drag in the house throught the dog door a $200.00 bush. LOL Well he wired up the flower bed and tossed a ball in the bed and the dog went after it. The dog hit the wire and went straight up and then down on the wire. Went up again and then on the wire. Then did it a third time and went straight to its right into the yard. LOL After that you could toss in the flower bed a 100 balls and they would just sit there. He never went in the flowers ever again. LOL

A tenent had a dog that would bark all day when she went to work. It wouldn't shut up at all. Well I got tired of it and got a 5 gal bucket and filled it up with cold water. Walked up to the dog and he just kept barking. I tossed half of the bucket on him after yelling SHUT UP. I thought I had drowned the damn thing. He looked at me and barked again. I yelled again SHUT UP and through the rest of the the dog. He got the idea to shut up. Every once and awhile he would bark and all I had to do was say shut up and he would. LOL

As for licking you, just slap his snout when he does and he will get the message. Not hard but just to get him to know not to do it.

Sometimes you have to be mean to give a dog a good reason to do as you want.

20. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Maybe you could use the Shock Collar on Hil-Rod???

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.