1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My friend

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by straightshooter1, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My friend bought a new to him Classic Trap with the original Remington barrel and a Hastings barrel.
    It is like new, though about 8 years old.

It worked perfectly until today at the Beretta Shoot. The bolt apparently doesn't come back far enough to lock, though the hammer cocks (of it doesn't stay back). This results in the fired hull being crushed by the bolts forward motion and requires him to stop and clear the gun.

The gun seems relatively clean though I did not take out the trigger. He tried both barrels, took the shell catcher off and still had the same problem.

Seems the problem likely is in the trigger so he was going to take it out and clean it good tonight and I will take one of my triggers up to the Dollar tomorrow to try it if cleaning doesn't help.

Do any of you 1100 guys have a suggestion to make it run?

Bob

2. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

clean the gas rings and tube under the forearm. Leave it lubed with break free. Check to make sure the rubber O ring under there didn't break as well.GaryL.

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Sounds like he's got the gas rings bass ackwards

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Also check the action spring located in a tube inside the stock. This spring has a plunger that the "tuning fork" link sets it. The tube can build up gunk over the years and slow the bolt's travel. You can clean it using a thirty caliber mop and patch then lube it lightly. I use a very light dusting of powdered graphite. Then check to make sure that the link (tuning fork) is intact and does not have a broken of bent arm. You should also be sure it is not installed upside down.

Also check the action bars (the things that connect the bolt to the collar that the gas from the barrel ports pushes on. Again check for binding or broken metal. Insure the gas rings or ring (depending on which style is installed) is installed correctly.

Make sure both gas ports are open and clean. On rare occasions a BB may be pushed between the wad petal and the barrel and lodge in the gas port. Carbon can also build up in the port holes. Since he tried both barrels, I would think this is not the problem but you can check to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.