1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My first ticket in 40 years of hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WWB, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

I have seen many Doves and Meadowlarks shot on the trap field. Some certainly by accident--some most certainly on purpose! One of you didn't just happen to knock down or pop at a dove now did you? I have known those boys to sit off in the next county with spotting scopes or 10x glasses and watch and wait.....with expensive glasses and a brand new 4X pickup that my tax $$ paid for. {& he is probably pulling a boat or camper on top of it}
    If the above doesn't exist I think you could beat him.
    Bill

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I bet you're both screwed. If I understand it correctly, you said, "As he waited a few birds came by (I assume doves). He shot three times." They were probably watching him with binoculars walking to the range with his gun. It will be his word against theirs. You know who will win that one.

You may be considered an additional hunter since you were with him and they determined he was shooting at the doves. The judge probably won't pay attention to your clothes, because the act of shooting at the doves was an illegal act.

Some times you just have a rotten day no matter how good of a person you are. Good luck with this one.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

On the other side of the above advice

You admit he was shooting at doves- that is called hunting

You were with him- you had a gun

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

Well -- guess what? he did it and you are there with a gun also

no skeet targets were shot

Sounds like hunting to me-- or shooting at doves to me-- I imagine it will sound like hunting to the judge also

If you want to fight it- you could get an attorney-- he might or might not be able to help in this case-- which might be just a fine

or you can save the cost of the attorney- and pay the fine

Oh- and you might use this opportunity to teach your son a lesson rather than whine about this and hope to get off on some technicality

Gene

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Not an attorney, but if you son is a minor, how can they question him without having a parent with him. I would think that w/o you advising him or with him, this may also be a viloation. Just a thought.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My two cents....Your son attempted a shot at some doves..hunting is hunting, whether you kill anything or not.

Quoted--"As he waited, a few birds came by. He shot three times."

As for your case, I would think that would be questionable, if your gun was unloaded and you were walking to the range.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They are guilty of being cops and as such they will lie to you and they will talk to you in an attempt to get you to confess. Your son is guilty plain and simple. The question is can they prove it. Well.. Your son confessed. This makes it a whole bunch easier for them.This is the old we have what is right and what is wrong and then we have what we can prove. I know how you feel. I found a dead deer that had just been shot and we knew who had done it. We called the Game warden and waitied for two hours until he got to where we were. Then he accused us of doing it. Never again.... Jeff

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd seek some advice from a competent lawyer that knows the game laws, both state and federal before going before a judge. Isn't the dove considered a federal migratory bird? Be careful how you handle this for both you and your son (especially your son) would be my advice. Hap

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

So on the way to the shoot skeet, before shooting skeet, your son shot at some doves (standing on station four). Ok. He was busted. Probably unfortunate but technically correct. You who had your dedicated skeet gun with you and had never fired a shot were ticketed. That seems unfair. By the way, do you always shoot a repeater at skeet on your own range instead of an O/U? Regards, Jake

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've been known to hunt birds and shoot skeet, trap, and sporties at different times. I've never seen the need to remove the magazine plug on a repeating shotgun for any reason for hunting, skeet, trap, or sporties. So my question is simply, why were the mag. plugs removed at all?.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Some doves came by and he shot three times. Maybe I can't read and comprehend, but it doesn't say he shot at the doves does it? I love how we stand together as gun owners and make the worst out of someone posting on here. The judge and jury comments above have spoken.

No wonder we are losing our rights to own firearms. Keep it up guys and believe the worst. Your day is coming and will be looking for your thread telling how you were wronged..

Gary

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Doesn't the title of this thread about say it all? Got my first ticket in 40 years of hunting. John

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I read some but not all the posts here. In Va the GW has the right to go on any land he thinks has game violaters on it. They do not need a warrent. With the way you two were dressed and with the skeet field you should be all right that is if you have a good judge. Take pic's of the skeet field and pic's from the road where the GW would have looked or stood. Take pic's on how you two were dressed. Pic's means alot to a judge. I'm sure the GW took down the gun's S#. Are both guns skeet guns? If so bring them in court after you call the courts to have a court officer met you outside the court building and let them carry them in. I'm sure all they did was hear shoots and then came in to see what you all were doing. Once they saw that you all were shooting skeet they had to do something so mud was not on their faces. I have worked with GW from time to time and yes there are some real dicks out there who think all hunters are up to no good. And yes there are those GW who are nothing but good people. As I think about it take both still pic's and a video of your place. Some judges just want stills and not video and some want to see both. Cover yourself by having both. Please let us know how it cames out.

13. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I agree with bcnu! It sounds like you have already admitted to hunting by the title of thread! I f you are SKEET shooting then you do not shoot at an occasional dove from the line, even if you are at home, do you do this at your local club? I would hope not

14. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

you must suck at skeet as bad as I do if you needed to take your plug out before heading down to the range.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The thing about posting a thread on here is you may not always get the majority of people to agree with your opinion and or take your side ... Thats pretty much a chance you take in most public venues so just keep that in mind in the future ... The fact is people are responding to your posting as you posted it because they were not there to see what happened for themself ... Oh, and if you think this is a pissing contest you have not been on TS.Com for very long or you would recognize a pissing contest when you see one ... Good Luck in Court ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

No pi**ing match here. You made a Freudian slip is all. While I don't hunt and I for sure don't shoot skeet, I have never seen a reason to remove a plug from a shotgun.

Common sense should tell one that if it is dove season, not to be shooting unless you are on a pad and BOTH of the skeet house windows are open and the machines are BOTH turned on and someone is there to pull.

John

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

cbxchris, no offense intended, but the more I think about this thread, I question why you guys would have your plugs out of the magazine for any activity. We all know you need it for most hunting situations and it certainly doesn't hamper your clay target shooting. Will you at least explain why the plugs were out in in the first place?....Bob Dodd

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

BDODD....haven't you ever stood on seven and called "2 pair, one call!" ?

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No, I can't say I have!

20. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

cbx Go to court and ask for a continuance to allow your son to appear. Delay it as many times as possible. Chances are, if like most states, the game warden will not even show up. Check your gun laws and see exactly what would constitute the viloation and stick to disprovinging that. Facts, facts, facts only facts. Don't listen to most of these blow hards here and yes law enforcement does, and will not only, entrap but lie on the stand to convict. You should be able to get a copy of your ticketing officers statement and see exactly what you are going to have to defend against. If at all possible have the hearing without the officer there if his statement is weak and does not provide much evidence. Many times the officer will get in a hurry and not provide necessary details on the report expecting you to just pay the ticket. You may also approach the prosecuter and ask for a defered prosecution based on your good record and no more violations with a 2 year period. Never offer explanations for what happened other than you were shooting skeet on your own range period. If they did not arrest your son and read him his rights I don't believe anything he said can be used against him. Keep your explanations short and to the point. Say nothing about your clothes or anything else unless the officer mentions it and even then very short. Remember you do not go to court innocent regardless of what people think. You are actually presumed guilty by the court until you disprove it by lack of evidence. The court, the prosecuter and the officer are all against you and you need to understand that. Good luck and check with your local lawyers once you have a copy of the officers statement, not just the ticket, but the actual statement. You have a constitutional right to see the evidence before the trial. Good luck and please let me know how it goes!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.