1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My first shotgun, should i buy this one

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by m-man, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m-man

m-man TS Member

Hello, i am going to buy my first shotgun.
    I went trap shooting for the first time a while ago and loved it, i have a tight budget, but i wanted to get an 1100, i found one that is only $350, it has a 28" barrel and a full choke,
    the only thing wrong with it is some 'peppering' on the end of the barrel

i dont know what this is, and if its a real problem or just a cosmetic thing

i dont care about cosmetic things, but if this is something that progresses or is serious, then i might not want to buy this one

can you help

thanks

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It was rust but it's been cleaned off. It's no problem at all. . . if you can hit targets with the gun. If you can't I'd wait for another.

But if you have a pattern board and a place to lay the gun and sit down, and the gun shoots a bit high at 13 yards or so, and straight, then buy it and learn to shoot it. You'll not find a better gun that cheap.

Neil

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. If you can break the targets with it, and it doesn't beat up when you shoot it, then buy it. It is probably a field gun and if you get serious about trap shooting you will have to invest in a trap stock. HMB

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The bead tells me this is a field gun. You can get good ones without the optional rust feature for 350.

I would pass and find a trap model. It will cost a little more but you will have better resale value and something that works.

HM

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would also pass on this. I saw a used field model in very good condition (not a spec of rust) with vent rib (mod choke) last week at Birmingham Gun Club for $300.

If interested, I could ask the guy if he still has it, just Email me.

6. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I would pass on it. Last year, from a dealer at a gun show, I bought a Rem. 1100 trap gun for $400.00 tax included. A bonus was that when I got it home and cleaned it up it had a Timney trigger in it. I'd bet the dealer didn't know about that. Gun is in great shape. I would not pay $350.00 for a field gun with the rust that one has. JMO. Colonel

7. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

You can buy a new H&R Topper trap gun for the same price.
    (look for Tron's thread)

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

An H&R, even new, can't compare with one of the best shotguns ever made, and used by thousands of trapshooters.

9. m-man

m-man TS Member

Thank you everybody

I have been searching several gun auction sites for several weeks, and i havn't seen an 1100 for under $400,

there are no stores around here that sell used guns, but perhaps i should call some trap gun clubs and see if they have a wanted/for sale boards.

i was told that i should get a full choke, does that matter?

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The full choke may be where you will want to end up after you have all the other bugs worked out but it is nice to have the ability to try other chokes. The nice thing about the M1100 is that there are many replacement barrels on the market at fair prices so you could buy the $350 gun you are looking at and spend another $150 or so on a barrel with choke tubes. But then you would be into the gun for $500 and for that kind of money you could have found another M1100 already set up for trap. You are on the right track though, the M1100 is a great shotgun.

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

i would pass on this gun myself and save up another 50 to 60 dollars and nuy a decent remington 1100 or 1187 with vent rib. IMHO. jm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.