Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My first experience at the Tri-State winter league

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gdbabin 
#1 ·
Being a new shooter (2003, ATA 2007) it's usually, first time, every time, for me. I signed up for the Tri-State winter league to shoot for Greencastle and showed up for the first shoot at Leetown's wonderful trap range and clubhouse/kitchen. All of my new best friends from Greencastle and North Carroll were there.

The folks at Leetown even made arrangements to have the sun properly positioned for best target acquisition, turned off the wind, and presented perfect targets, under the best conditions for me to shoot (at). I was the only early shooter in shorts and, on trap #1, was breathing steam clouds, then sweating by trap #4. The guys who were all bundled up and laughing at me on #1 got to cook by #4.

Thinking we were in Country Ham territory, there was no disappointment in the country ham sammich department either. The grand lady behind the counter even had a secret bottle of Gulden's Spicy Brown stowed in the 'fridge, for us true aficionados who know about such things. I warned her to not share the secret with any of my dear friends from Maryland, who might wander by, though.

We had to hurry back to Waynesboro for our fall league shoot, as did the guys from North Carroll etc. for their Heart of Maryland league. In any case, the guys told me about the Tri-State website at: http://home.comcast.net/~bbator/site/?/home/ and said the results would be posted by the time I got home. Sure enough, there they were, along with the news that I had earned a 1½ yard prize, and dozens of dollars in the Lewis. Just think, Barbara said, how well you’ll do, once the Kolar gets back to PA. Still, she observed, it’s not bad shooting for an old guy, freezing his behind off, while having to shoot a 30” barreled sporting clays gun. …It was the Ham sammiches, I think.

Thanks to the folks at the Isaac Walton League club at Leetown for providing their excellent facility and hospitality and to the Webmaster of the Tri-State League for the wonderful website. … mike

See less See more
#3 ·
You lucky guys get to shoot year 'round. Hopefully we can do a winter tour and visit the fine ranges out that way. We want to do the Silver Dollar in FL, as we're told the winter league is very nice, also.

I tell you though, The Mason Dixon area in the fall, is hard to beat, and the wonderful afternoons, up until the end of Indian Summer, delight the soul. And, OH!, the APPLES, never mind walking in PA's hardwood forrest's carrying a wonderful little RBL 20 double, flushing Ruffed Grouse.....please don't feel sorry for us, because of the hardships we must endure .......MIKE

#4 ·
Mike,

You sound very appreciative of your trap home there. For a guy who spent the first 25 years of his trap career in a place like you have...lots of shooting friends, great shooting atmosphere, friendly active gun clubs, etc, a place like SE Kansas can be a very lonely place.

You are a lucky man!

milt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.